It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How SOPA (as written) might kill ATS and free speech online (UPDATED)

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Cheers Skep, would expect nothing less mate.

Good on you and good luck for the meeting.

Give 'em hell

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
The meeting is tomorrow afternoon. I'll write a summary as soon as possible after that. But if I can get him to drop his sponsorship... expect a new thread.

THAT would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Him renouncing his sponsorship for Supporting Other People's Agendas.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:03 PM
link   
The Senate is scheduled to vote on the internet censorship bill on Tuesday, January 24th so we still have time to stop it
americancensorship.org...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
or here…

We The People (WhiteHouse.gov) Petition

Only 51,185 signatures so far? Sad very sad

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
The last time I visited this thread, there was this great popup image of what a sopa warning would look like. Anybody got this Image? Thanks!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   

ATS isn't the target of this law. The MRM is. As ATS is awesome for their disinfo and dissemination of info while effectively doing nothing in the grand scope of society.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by OleMB
The last time I visited this thread, there was this great popup image of what a sopa warning would look like. Anybody got this Image? Thanks!

If you want just the image of the blocked banner, here it is:

I've got the one from the UAE, too...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   

I really hope Anonymous hacks the living crap out of the people who proposed this bill because our rights as citizens have been compromised. We can easily say goodbye to free speech, I mean most of our freedoms have been taken away years ago. I really feel that the Constitution has been corrupted and now people are making rules under their own names.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

That's it, thanks a bunch!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by OleMB

For good measure, here's the "mourning band" that is on my avatar:

I set my avatar to background, then set this png image for the avatar, and presto! A mourning band over my avatar in protest of SOPA. It's transparent, all but the black bar, so the background shows through. I got the idea from the Twitter campaign.

Thread here

SOPA - (SOE-puh, n.)

1) The brand of soap one uses to wash brains.

2) Pending US legislation, rooted in the concept of brainwashing.

edit on 2012/1/13 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

+27 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I just got back from a lengthy (for an elective rep) and productive conversation with Congressman Ben Quayle, who is on record as a SOPA co-sponsor. His district chairman was also in attendance.

I had a chance to talk about our business, online businesses in general, and how SOPA (as written) represents a series of unintended consequences that could harm many online businesses, hamper innovation, and break the Internet as we know it.

He understood. And more importantly, and this is coming from someone who doesn't say such things about politicians lightly, I believe he understand at a fundamental level. Our conversation even evolved into what online business models are working for media companies (iTunes, Netflix, etc.) and that while "something" needs to be done to address piracy, whatever is done should not harm innovation or the forward momentum of progress represented by the Internet.

I can't speak with absolute certainty about his intentions... however...

And again, most people here should by be aware of how I feel about all politicians, and rarely say anything that might be seen as positive in that regard... with that in mind...

I came away from the meeting with every confidence he will do the right thing. There, I said it.

I also came away with the feeling that if ATS participates in a "going dark" protest next week in solidarity with other sites, it will take a different form than previously considered. Our conversation was balanced, and some of my (previously unspoken) trepidation that the sensationalism of many of loudest the anti-SOPA people and groups is overstated and somewhat distorted. (Which is not to say my opinion has changed about SOPA.) More about that as I follow-up on my own research.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
Forget ATS, it's going to kill the internet.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
]Originally posted by mandroids
These are the Wild West years for the net where not much is locked up or locked out. I have always believed that what we are experiencing now, online, will soon be gone; that the freedom and free aspect of the net will be looked back on, by future generations, in total disbelief. What we have now is a window [no pun] of glorious freedom, but a complete and utter anomaly.

Forget ATS, it's going to kill the internet. [quote
I predict in the near future, the net will cost more and access will be dramatically curtailed in favour of overly sponsored and censored content. The government and corporate powers that be ,have not quite figured how to control the net yet, but they will soon.

Remember how the lawless west used to be? This is now. Not perfect by any means, but, I predict the following will eventually happen online.

1, you will need a license to log on.
2, at least 90% of the net will be locked and blocked.
3, pay per view owning a majority of net.
4, permission will be needed for various things we currently take for granted.
5, bills will be passed to outlaw things you now do in good faith.

The net will sooner or later be regulated and locked up to the point of being prohibitive for the vast majority. This weird, seeminlgly lawless [and therefore scary to those in control] cyber anomaly, will soon disappear and we will wonder how we got away with such a wonderful thing for as long as we did.

When we consider how our world really works, it all makes sad sense.

edit on 8-1-2012 by mandroids because: spacing issue.

edit on 8-1-2012 by mandroids because: spacing issue

Oddly my computer was having issues as I as attempting to respond tone of the the above post on 2 sites with sharing different titles but duplicate theories., Somehow it kept crashing, I recreated twice and after offering more in-depth foresight on the second time around I was desperately hoping to find my post and then came across this thread and was amazed my comments were more in line with this OP's statements. Aapparently I was meant to be apart of this conversation from the looks of it; I am only on the 3rd or 4th post in this thread but felt it was appropriate to join in; especially with their less in depth thoughts. Thesecond, and third threads I found seem to have more depth - but haven't had a chance to read thorougly.

I would like to say in advance sorry if I am duplicating other posts or commentaries. Haven"t had time to fully read through since I want to stay on track with my current thoughts. ATS can have side affects for the brain to rationalize, theorize, optimize and explode wtih forethought to cynically piece information together or decoding the disinformation ingrained in most awakening our dormant brain areas and arching that 95% junk dna to allow us to actually form logical explanations of miniscule "happenings" encapsulating us and gathering in hopes to gain control of our destiny and make sense of our nerfarious past or possibly our virtual reality. My first thought of coming out of a sheople haze would if they manage to implement some type of censorship (through executive order for Presidents who only have middle name of Hussein) that it becomes a scenario of Fast Furious and maybe after lengthy hearings we will learn that Sasha accidentally pulled up the wrong file on Daddy's BBerry and totally blame it on BO because BO is no ordinary dog he is named after the Pres with the middle name of Hussein.

After hours....of attempting to post this single point of view......my day has constipated the final out put.................So I guess I will reply to my own post when the time is right.

GREAT LETTER I FOUND....to a woman's fellow congressional "leaders"
www.opencongress.org...

peace, love and light

ps..apologies in advance for typos - gramatical structure - etc. -- Mom duties have ended this recess for today

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Sausage And Law

Yeah, sure. We can read between the lines.

I hope you didn't sell out cheap.

Ribbing aside, I know Representative Quayle must be a pretty sharp guy to earn your respect. You are, after all the SkepticOverlord.

Hopefully he will be able to use his influence as a cosponsor of SOPA, but the bill already has 31 sponsors, and there is still the issue of its sister bill PIPA in the Senate, which has 40 sponsors -- out of 100 senators.

While some pretty big guns are opposing SOPA and its ilk, there's also some major lobbying money behind these bills, and all politicians, however principled they may wish to be, can't do anything if they don't get elected, and that takes money.

So while I'm encouraged that Rep. Quayle seems to understand the issues in play, I caution against being too sanguine about how all this legislative skulduggery is going to play out, because that is still very much up in the air.

Our shared distrust of politicians in general is, after all, well-founded and supported by pretty much all of human history.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
I know Representative Quayle must be a pretty sharp guy to earn your respect.

Now hold on just a minute. I never went there!

It's far too soon to determine if that happened.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by DancedWithWolves

SOPA Halted in the House Fight over bills now turns to Senate

www.adweek.com

The controversial Stop Online Piracy Act has been stopped dead in its tracks in the House. Until there is broader consensus among the lawmakers about legislation that would crack down on foreign Web sites that infringe on U.S. copyright material and counterfeit goods, Majority Leader Rep. Eric Cantor (R.-Va.) has agreed SOPA would not come before the House for a vote.
The sharp turn in the debate followed news late Friday that Rep. Lamar Smith (R-Texas), chairman of the House Judiciary Committee would remove the domain name system blocking provision from the bill.

ATS Thread Link - WOOT!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Oops! My mistake.

Should I say "tentative lack of disrespect" instead?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
there might just be connection here....

the mass, official mourning for the fallen Supreme Leader in N Korea... had some small numbers of mourners who were actually giddly with delight that the dictator had finally passed....

see the article here: news.yahoo.com...

theres a vid link in the story...

now apply that action with the SOPA actions that will be forced on the once lightly restrained populace here in the USA

? a portent of things to come ?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

I agree, this SOPA bill after looking at it and taking my time to get what the Government and big interest have the most to gain, it comes in one shot to kill two bird.

In one side, will give the government "the protection" through control of INTERNET content to make sure the population do not get the information here and abroad to propagate for "learning" purposes so information will be filtered and controlled and used to maximize government geared propaganda.

On the other side the big interest can then be able to control for profits with charges to what you can access in the net, just like another poster said before me, you will be sold packages for viewing and reading with plenty of commercialized content for a charge.

But then again, what can you expect for a corporate run dictatorship like we have in the US.

Like I say all the time, no whore in congress, no whore politicians is working and will ever work for the people if we the people do not raise up and fight the power that is behind our government, the pimps in our nations that runs the whores needs to be control by the people before they finish controlling us the people

You can never trust any laws in this nation anymore when those making the laws are corrupted, they will only make corrupted laws to screw the people.

In America dictatorship and those pushing it has become very good at the psycological aspect of how to make people believe that, what they are doing is all good for the people and the nation.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Moved to own thread
edit on 14-1-2012 by g0dhims3lf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   
What's this about websites going "dark"?

ALS

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join