It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Empathy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 12:54 AM
link   
You know I have read several threads pertaining to the three hurricanes affecting Florida so far this year. I enjoy the up to the minute status reports and tracking efforts by several members. They are well done.

What I do not enjoy however is the line of commentary that is expressed when someone says: �I hope Cuba takes the brunt of it and it weakens� or �I hope it hits such and such to slow it down� or �Can�t Florida catch a break�.

Really?

Can�t the Caribbean catch a break?

No offence to any Floridians who have to go through this ordeal (and it is quite an ordeal
) but how about some consideration for countries that do not have the resources of the richest and most powerful country in the world?

�Taking the brunt� of these storms has devastated them and I hear of no �emergency� measures to assist them from either the US/Canada or anyone else (at least none that I have seen).

So when someone makes a comment like those above I hope they remember that Floridians have it �easy� by comparison.

OK... Lecture Over

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Point well taken.....Let's hope the loss to life and property is minimized regardless of where that might happen.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Greneda, St-Lucia, Barbados, Jamaica are among those struck by Ivan with Cuba and Florida shortly to follow.

[edit on 9/11/2004 by Gools]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools
What I do not enjoy however is the line of commentary that is expressed when someone says: �I hope Cuba takes the brunt of it and it weakens� or �I hope it hits such and such to slow it down� or �Can�t Florida catch a break�.

It could be just fatigue at all the weather that the Floridians have been taking. Nothing personal.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
You know your are right, I see as the type of mentality that most Americans have when it does not concern them directly.

And this goes with other things beside hurracans.

As long as somebody else gets hurt I am just fine.

As long as somebody dies in other countries by terrorist and not in US I am fine with the war on terror.

As long as we invade other countries in the name of freedom and is casualties of war better them than us.

You can see the pattern on these phrases and you can find more anywhere around.

[Edited on 11-9-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I received this in an email:

A weather reporter (who reports for CNN from 6am-9am Eastern/7am-10am Central) made a comment that hopefully Ivan would turn and hit the Bahamas instead of Florida being hit again. Apparently his colleagues found this funny and they all had a little laugh about it.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Not to make light of these natural disasters, but I think the media is over-doing it.
We are saturated with stores on these storms days before any landfall. By the time it hits the US, many people have zoned out on the coverage and gone on to other realities.
I especially find absurd the remarks about Castro warning his people. DUH, ya think Cuba has ever been in the path of a hurricane before...sheesh.

It is unfortunate that there is loss of property and lives in other countries. I think the coverage of the hurricanes lacks depth and sincerity. Just like everything else the media handles.
It has gotten to the point that I go to another channel when I see a reporter in raingear, or on a beach.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I dont mind them. I have the technology to tell me when I should run if its going to get ugly. FLorida's population has been expanding so maybe with the hurricanes all over the news many will decide not to move or move away. I do think the media over does the coverage and we have to realize how lucky we are that Francis weekened before landfall. With a little luck Ivan will do the same, but with the latest report of 910mb its not looking good for anyone in the gulf, and hell for anyone in its path.

[edit on 11-9-2004 by jrod]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gools

I concur!

top topics

join