It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Mars And Beyond"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   
In the 1950s, Walt Disney Studios created an "educational" film called "Mars and Beyond." Although it first aired on television in black and white, it was filmed in color for eventual theatrical release. A recent article by an astronomer reminiscing about his earliest interest in extraterrestrial life mentioned it and opened the floodgates of nostalgia for yours truly. Amazingly, the entire thing is available on YouTube:

I present here the second installment, which deals with Martian life in popular culture. I do this both because it is the most entertaining segment, and because it provides the most potential for discussion in this forum. How strongly have members of the UFO community been influenced by these science fictional ideas? Is it coincidence that in portraying typical "real life" UFO sightings, they are clearly represented by everyday items, implying that UFO photographs are hoaxes? How much input do you suppose the government had on this project? Why the ironic tone?

I urge you all to view the entire series, because it provides some wonderful historic insights, often in a humorous form. It will also help you understand how difficult it was to gather information about even our nearest planetary neighbors before the advent of space travel. Towards the end of the series, the writers and artists go crazy, depicting all manner of weird "possible" Martian lifeforms, leading inevitably to the question: "What were they smoking at 33 Royal Street?"

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

They certainly don't make them like that anymore and it's a great pity. (Disney's Golden Period if thats the right name?) According to IMDB the rating is 8.5 which is a better rating than most films most people will see. I do like the humorous segment but will search out the rest later. Thanks for posting!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

They certainly don't make them like that anymore and it's a great pity. (Disney's Golden Period if thats the right name?) According to IMDB the rating is 8.5 which is a better rating than most films most people will see. I do like the humorous segment but will search out the rest later. Thanks for posting!

You're welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed it. The animation style is classic "Mid-Century Modern," which, like Art Deco, mixed Classicism with with Modernism. Every cell was hand drawn and painted. They literally do not make them like that any more. Some of the humor would be considered "Politically Incorrect" these days, but in the context of this film, it's still pretty funny.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I saw Mars and Beyond on film (16mm projector going clickity click) in school, must have been 3rd or 4th grade. It made a huge impact on me. I also remember listening tensely to the public radio broadcast of John Glenn's re-entry and the worries about problems with his heat shield, terrified that he would burn up.
edit on 1/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It made a huge impact on me. I also remember listening tensely to the public radio broadcast of John Glenn's re-entry and the worries about problems with his heat shield, terrified that he would burn up.

Yes, and I was the four eyed Geek that rolled the whole thing in from the "AV Closet."

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Ah yes the Goode Ole Dayes

When Wernher von Braun and Walt Disney collaborated to cover up the real projects like von Braun's Mission to Mars and the Moon Base on farside... Even before NASA was NASA

The triangle von Braun is holding is his Mars Glider

And I am sure you have all seen this infamous picture of the farside Moonbase, right?

What better way to cover up the US Army's planned Moonbase then to make a TV movie about it?

edit on 4-1-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

What better way to cover up the US Army's planned Moonbase then to make a TV movie about it?

Well if it was supposed to be a secret how about saying nothing about it at all? But I thought the movie was about an alien Moon base, at least that's what your picture says.
edit on 1/4/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Well if it was supposed to be a secret how about saying nothing about it at all?

Well no that doesn't work so good... Just like Area 51... once people started suspecting it was real, they let someone 'leak' info on saucers etc and stir up all the UFO stories. In the end there is more stuff known about Area 51, its on all the maps, but yet no one really knows anything that is actually going on there

Called hiding in plain site with Neon Signs... and if there is so much BS tossed into the ring, no one will believe anything an insider might say

[But I thought the movie was about an alien Moon base, at least that's what your picture says.

Well it just shows your age (that you pointed out in this thread
) That Alien moniker was added by some website
but the Disney Mouse ear logo is original

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Just to get this clear: you can't tell the difference between Science Fiction and reality, right?

new topics

top topics

join