It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran : military ships will need our approval to cross the strait of hormuz

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Oh boy... putting themselves in a corner yet again... ridiculous.

Foreign Warships Will Need Iran's Permission to Pass through Strait of Hormoz

All foreign warships will soon be unable to pass through the Strait of Hormoz unless they first receive a permission from the Iranian Navy ships deployed in the region, an Iranian parliamentarian said, adding that the country's lawmakers are now working on a relevant plan as the strategic waterway is part of the Iranian territories.

"If the military vessels and warships of any country want to pass via the Strait of Hormoz without coordination and permission of Iran's Navy forces, they should be stopped by the Iranian Armed Forces," Nader Qazipour told FNA, explaining about the contents of the plan.

He underlined that the plan will be presented to the parliament's presiding board next week.

Yeah good luck enforcing that...

A little reminder...
Strait of Hormuz

To traverse the Strait, ships pass through the territorial waters of Iran and Oman under the transit passage provisions of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea

So it's not international waters. But they still must keep it open for civilian ships.

2008 analysis on the closure of the strait :
"Closing Time: Assessing the Iranian Threat to the Strait of Hormuz"

How might Iran retaliate in the aftermath of a limited Israeli or U.S. strike? The most economically devastating of Iran’s potential responses would be closure of the Strait of Hormuz. According to open-source order of battle data, as well as relevant analogies from military history and GIS maps, Iran does possess significant littoral warfare capabilities, including mines, antiship cruise missiles, and land-based air defense. If Iran were able to properly link these capabilities, it could halt or impede traffic in the Strait of Hormuz for a month or more. U.S. attempts to reopen the waterway likely would escalate rapidly into sustained, large-scale air and naval operations during which Iran could impose significant economic and military costs on the United States—even if Iranian operations were not successful in truly closing the strait. The aftermath of limited strikes on Iran would be complicated and costly, suggesting needed changes in U.S. force posture and energy policy.

edit on 4-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well, put it into perspective.

you've got 2 huge military powers hell bent on bombing you, justified or not. They are currently placing ships all over the region and running drills and exercises, while the whole time in the media, beating the war drums louder and louder.

doesn't it seem like a logical step for Iran to protect itself?

I mean, I get it, they are brown and they aren't the US so screw them right? but honestly, in their position, what would you be doing?

Ridiculous is something we both agree on, but I see it on both sides

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:35 AM
link   
It will be interesting to watch them try to pull this off if it passes.

I doubt it will though as that will ensure that Iran goes to war.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Considering the EU have just banned all imports of Iranian oil and they do own half of the strait of hormuz they are trying to bring the strait to a standstill to maybe have some bargaining power when/if talks happen.
Good luck to them, I just hope the US doesn't say this is a act of war.
Any country has the right to defend their own land or sea be them the bad guys or the good guys.
I can understand Iran wanting nuclear power as I can understand any country wanting nuclear power and seeing we have no evidence at all that they are making a bomb well it just seems to me the PTB just want war so it add's a few zeros on their bank balance.
It's a horrid business this I can see it going from bad to worse quickly.
Oh 5-4-3-2-1 commence saber rattling folks, seems many of you love the idea of war because you can watch it a thousand miles away in the comfort of your homes.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Can't blame Iran for defending themselves and their interests.

The USA would defend itself much more aggressively, I reckon. The difference is, Iran's defense is a reaction while the USA's is an aggressive action.

I really believe the solution is negotiation, not sanctions and shows of strength. Sadly many Americans and obviously the administration think otherwise.

I very sincerely hope this situation can be resolved diplomatically. There are a lot of people who are very important to me that would end up being deployed if the situation escalates to open conflict.

edit on 4-1-2012 by TinkerHaus because: Too many S's!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters

Well, put it into perspective.

you've got 2 huge military powers hell bent on bombing you, justified or not. They are currently placing ships all over the region and running drills and exercises, while the whole time in the media, beating the war drums louder and louder.

doesn't it seem like a logical step for Iran to protect itself?

I mean, I get it, they are brown and they aren't the US so screw them right? but honestly, in their position, what would you be doing?

Ridiculous is something we both agree on, but I see it on both sides

Allow me to respond, if I may... The only military power hell-bent on anything is Israel, and they're being held back by the international community. Ships have ALWAYS been all over the region. And NO, it does not seem like a logical step to restrict INTERNATIONAL WATERS when attempting to avoid war - in fact, it defies all logic!!!

What does their color have to do with anything? I always thought this was about the fear of a terrorist-sponsoring nation possessing weapons of mass destruction. So, what would I be doing if I were them? First, I would be honoring my commitment to the UN to maintain transparency over my nuclear enrichment program - that would be where I started. Next, I wouldn't restrict transit through international waters. Next, I would end all of the pointless rhetoric. And finally, I wouldn't be sponsoring terrorism in neighboring countries.

There's a little "Perspective" for ya.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Sounds like this is more a kind of "project of law" to be presented in the Iranian parliament.

Not necessarily, it will be approved.

Maybe it's just some crazy megalomaniac representative, and he has no backing from the government...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
That's amusing.

They would fire on a US or British warship? No way.

Watch the Iranian navy do nothing and disobey the insane Iranian government. No Iranian Military would commit such an idiotic and suicidal act of aggression.

Iran is out of suicidal religious nut-jobs, they all blew themselves up apart from a few of the more rabid ones who are still running the country and froth idiotic threats like this one.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
So, if US/NATO navy ship will sail through without any permission - what will Iran do? I see very few options.
Attacking it. It will mean war and this war will have lot more public support for US.
Ignoring it. This will just show Iranian weakness.
Blockading the gulf with mines. War via UN since a lot of countries world-wide will object and those who push for the war will get political support.
Trying to physically blockade US/NATO military vessel with Iranian one. US/NATO ship will most probably eventually fire at the Iranian ship ,and from here the path to war is more favorable to Iranians.
Maybe there are other options, but i do not see it.
Why would Iranians put them-self in the tight corner, i do not know. But it sounds like bluffing.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
You are 100% correct sir!!!

But this rational thinking has no place here on ATS. They would rather act as if this is already signed sealed and delivered so the war can start.

Im with you tough seriously. No way the Iranians pass this. If Russia or China or Turkey or whoever wants to transit the strait they will not be asking Iranian "Permission". Iran doesnt own it.

Originally posted by GLontra
Sounds like this is more a kind of "project of law" to be presented in the Iranian parliament.

Not necessarily, it will be approved.

Maybe it's just some crazy megalomaniac representative, and he has no backing from the government...

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GLontra

Hopefully. But I think it'll pass but they will not enforce it, because if they do, they are dead.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Hmmmm...im gonna do some due diligence and go check Iranian PRESSTV. Surely if they arent talking about this then its not a big deal.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If Iran passes this, I imagine the first thing that will happen is the US will send a convoy of warships through the straits.

I think that Iran will not challenge them.

They are not that foolish.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

let's be honest. Iran doesn't want nuclear power for peaceful purposes.
If they did they would be using thorium to build reactors.
But they want plutonium for purposes of making weapons.

Iran should be scared of the usa and europe. We have already done one regime change on them.
Didn't turn out to well. But they know we can do it.
Frankly if I was Iran I'd play ball and just ask for aid.
And if I was Ahmedinawhatever I'd do some backroom deal for some cash and go retire to Brazil.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Hmmmm...im gonna do some due diligence and go check Iranian PRESSTV. Surely if they arent talking about this then its not a big deal.

Well wouldn't they just talk about this starting next week when the bill is actually introduced in the Iranian parliament?

But yeah, good idea, we are waiting for your report sir!

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SeekerofTruth101

Jeez man.
Racist much?

And btw. Persians are not arabs.
Persians don't wear head garb. AFAIK

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I've been coming to this website for the past 5 years, I've seen countless Iran articles and I've always shrugged them off. However lately I'm becoming more convinced that something will happen within the next month. All these events are building up and someone is going to cross the line sooner rather than later.

I hope I'm wrong, but I can honestly see things coming to a head soon enough, it won't exactly be WW3 but it will be something for the history books that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
Jeez it's almost as if politics is scripted.

2nd line

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 12:23 PM
link   

with the iowa election fraud ,the warmongers remain in place and ww3 will happen.I am hoping that Russia has a large of bomb shelters and bunkers to survive and win ww3.Russia will be needed to fight and destroy the Illuminati.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join