It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All Christians, and those of other faiths, please read this.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
There is something that I would like to point out to all Christians, and those of other faiths:

Please read the following data:
www.religioustolerance.org...

World Christian Encyclopedia: A comparative survey of churches and religions - AD 30 to 2200," there are 19 major world religions which are subdivided into a total of 270 large religious groups, and many smaller ones. 34,000 separate Christian groups have been identified in the world. "Over half of them are independent churches that are not interested in linking with the big denominations."

These data are often based on census or public opinion data. Thus, a person is considered to be of a particular religion if they say that they are of that faith. Thus, about 75% of the adults in both the U.S. and Canada are Christians. Many individuals and religious groups have much more strict definitions for membership. For example, many conservative Christians believe that one has to be "born again" in order to be counted as a Christian. Using this definition, only about 35% of Americans would be counted as Christians. This difference in definitions between conservative Christians and the rest of the population causes much confusion.

Some of the approximately 1,000 Christian faith groups in the U.S. and Canada believe themselves to be the only true Christian denomination. Thus, depending on the definition used, the perceived percentage of Christians in the U.S. are between 0.1 and 75% of the total population.

I only point this out to show you that Christians are only a part of the religions of the world, and depending on your definition of "Christian", the percentage of those that believe the same as you is rather small in the big picture of religions in the world. I do not mean to single out Christians, nor do I wish to change your beliefs. I mearly show you that there are many religions in the world, and no man nor woman can claim his or hers as "The Only Way To Heaven". The reason I'm stating this is because I see many people in my country, neighboring countries, and here on ATS that feel that their way is the only way.

It is a big world, with alot of people who believe many different things. Have respect for the beliefs of others, and if you find fault in their beliefs, be gentle, for they may see fault in yours. Our world is a great place, and there CAN be peace on earth, if everyone, Christian, Islamic, Buddist, Athiest, Agnostic, and all the other religions and beliefs systems in the world can come to terms with one simple thing......

.....It doesn't matter what you believe, It's what you do with those beliefs.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
i believe all religions are interconnected like spokes of a wheel that lead back to a central "hub" of truth so to speak. Not any one religion in itself is the answer but all are necesarry and work together to provide a many different ways to achieve the same thing.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Thanks for the maps!

I only have one question...looking at the religions of the world map, what is Chinese religion??

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Thanks for illustrating the diversity in which spirituality reveals itself. For some it's through one or more god, for others the answers lie in science. There is no one way to heaven, as there is no one heaven. Thanks for sharing, op.

S&F

reply to post by Darkblade71

"Chinese religion" is roughly defined as pluralism since many cultural beliefs ranging from Buddhism and Taoism, and combinations of the two exist all over the country. Also, Chinese folk religion never really went away, and has been gaining strength in recent years. These religions are based on older mythological paganistic beliefs including; Mazu, Caishen, and Huangdi, and several other gods and goddesses from Chinese Myths.
edit on 3-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkblade71
Thanks for the maps!

I only have one question...looking at the religions of the world map, what is Chinese religion??

A mixture of Buddism, Hindu, Taoism and Confucianism....among other beliefs.
edit on 3-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul

Thanks for illustrating the diversity in which spirituality reveals itself. For some it's through one or more god, for others the answers lie in science. There is no one way to heaven, as there is no one heaven. Thanks for sharing, op.

S&F
Is that your opinion, or are you stating it as a fact? How do you know Heaven is not real?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CraigSnedeker

Where did I say "there is no Heaven?" Re-read my post.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye

Thanks for the maps!

Officially the Chinese are non-religious. Also, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism and Confucianism are not
religions they are philosophies since they do not identify with an omnipotent deity - they are in fact a way of looking at and living life. There are really only 3 religions: Christianity, Islam and Hebrew-ism with all their off-shoots and baggage.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Thanks all for the answers.

I thought the Chinese had banned religion in general.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juran

Thanks for the maps!

Officially the Chinese are non-religious. Also, Buddhism, Hinduism, Taoism and Confucianism are not
religions they are philosophies since they do not identify with an omnipotent deity - they are in fact a way of looking at and living life. There are really only 3 religions: Christianity, Islam and Hebrew-ism with all their off-shoots and baggage.

As defined; any specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects is considered a "religion." This includes Buddhism and Taoism.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Thanks for the maps!

Taoism and Buddhism are still widely practiced in china .. and in one province Islam is practiced. Christianity is mostly followed by westerners in china or those few chinese who eat too much western # and act like westerners.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
The basic principles of all the religions are good , it's the extremist crackpots that we have to wipe off the face of the earth and treat everyone with respect IMO !

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Good on the poster of this thread for perfectly illustrating how the ignorance and arrogance of the religious has to be addressed and that most of them assume 'their' religion is the right one.

All religious people regardless of which faith are backward often very stupid people with misled and childish beliefs in not only the supernatural but the highly unlikely.

Bringing it to places like ATS some try to hold religion up as some kind of debatable, valid branch of science in a forum where genuine mysteries and anomalys are often debated.

This does not make you wise or above anyone to do this. IMO it makes you slightly mentally ill and it makes the ridiculous set of tall tales and mumbo-jumbo about God and Jesus even more ridiculous and kooky to those of us who dont believe in this nonsensical boogeyman tripe to begin with.

Debate religion all you want, cant you just do it on some religious forum? Why must we always have genuinely intriguing scientific and natural mysteries and conspiracies diluted and muddied by this Global club that needs a supportive imaginary crutch to solve their problems for them?

Your life has to be lacking if you need some hooey about some make believe entity judging you to give it meaning.

Sorry. Religion is backward and has no place in any society other than a lawless and primitive one.

I'm sure it's a surprise to some of these people to find their are other religions. Dissmissed or considered irrelevant by them I'm sure. Well, guess what?

It's all irrelevant. There is no God or whatever you want to call it. You've all been lied to. I'd rank that info much higher in importance than the possible revelatory info that there are other religions. 'gasp'

I can equate religious people in the 20th century to the aliens in the movie 'Galaxy Quest' very misguided and gullible. Their mistaken beliefs coupled with their tech advancing causing them to be self destructive and a danger to themselves. Putting their faith in the fictional and it's powerless representatives here in that pesky place called reality.

Put the bloody Bible down and start life as a real person. That goes for all of you. If I'm wrong may God jesus me into shutting my face right this second. . Nope. still here. I just proved God didn't exist. it's easier than you think. Try it. His total lack of powers or tangible intervention in anything ever is explainable by his total lack of existence and fictional nature.

Damn right I'm 'belittling your faith' before anyone starts. Your faith is silly and it's wasting everyones time. I hope me saying this will wake some up to it.

I think what I'm really saying is religion as a subject for ATS is out of place. It's not above top secret, it's beyond retarded. Religion is the embarrassing drunk relative at the party interrupting our educated discussions with rabid rants about fictional hooey about omnipotent beings and who believe in something with no more supportive evidence than 'the force' from Star Wars. I cant take these people seriously in real life, much less online.

I am neither religious or an Atheist. I am your worst nightmare. Truth personified. No time for purveyors of fantasy. Snap out of it. there's nothing on the other side so put more into your life here while you can.

Tear down the Wall. Or climb over it. The choice is yours.

Deny Ignorance.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I love how long my post sat unanswered. Speaks for itself, no matter the reason.

A great man once said, 'the bible says God made us all to be just like him, so if we are dumb then God is dumb..and maybe even a little ugly on the side.'

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:39 PM
link   

correction needed :
'Chinese religion' is flawed
China has over 53% Buddhists, Taoism, Muslims Hindus, Christians
and 'other' making up the remainder demographics.

China's oldest Mosque ^ built in 742

note to angus1745, maybe posters are just
ignoring you because it's you that could be a wee
bit ugly on posted comments ?
, . . . just saying

edit on 3/1/12 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

I believe that is why "Chinese Religion" was used in the legend. There is too much diversity in China to be stated as any one specific religion or belief system.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

I do believe you missed the whole point of the thread. ATS is the perfect place to discuss these topics. What is more controversial and full of conspiracies than religion?

Your statements are exactly the point that I am making. Instead of finding all the flaws, it's about accepting people and their beliefs, even if the differ from your own. I am not religious, but I have great respect for those who take the time to educate themselves on these subject, and still find it within them to believe in something.

Instead of mocking them, perhaps you should look at what it is that makes you feel that they don't have the right to express their beliefs as they see fit. If you don't agree with someone's beliefs, it's better to be gentle and speak kindly instead of trying to tear them and their beliefs apart.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

As a Christian myself. One who has studied the bible I have come to realize that anyone who claims an exclusive right to heaven is mistaken. The bible actually says that anyone who calls Christ their savior is my brother; this to me would include all denominations. The bible also says that at judgment many will claim they are followers of Christ but Christ will say he does not know you.

In the bible God says that as a Christian I am not to Judge any non believer but instead that I should walk away and allow God to judge them. It does not say they will go to hell.

One often misunderstood verse is that none will come to the father except through me. The bible teaches that Christ will Judge all mankind. Christ is the door to the Kingdome. But he will judge both believers and unbelievers. Do I believe that accepting Christ and walking his path make it easier to follow what the will of God is? Of course I do. But I know that all things are possible for God.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

The fact that you believe in no "gods" or "higher power" means you know nothing about religion or science. New studies in various quantum fields is actually pointing to the idea that our reality is dictated by the mind. Science hasn't disproven "god", it merely changed his identity.

Maybe instead of p!$$ing on the beliefs of your fellow ATSers, you should respect others and their beliefs. Maybe they believe in Gods or Science or even faeries, but how is trashing someone's beliefs in any way suppose to inspire either change or education on the matter?

ATS is a place for debates, discussion, as well as denying ignorance. Your "absolute" opinion on the matter fulfills none of these criteria. Care to share more insight into your opinion?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FugitiveSoul

Originally posted by Juran

Thanks for the maps!

religions they are philosophies since they do not identify with an omnipotent deity - they are in fact a way of looking at and living life. There are really only 3 religions: Christianity, Islam and Hebrew-ism with all their
off-shoots and baggage.

As defined; any specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects is considered a "religion." This includes Buddhism and Taoism.

You are wrong

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join