It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Israel to shut down Dimona nuclear reactor should war break out

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:08 AM
link   
Published 02:04 03.01.12
Latest update 02:04 03.01.12
Haaretz

Nuclear activity at the reactors at Dimona and Nahal Sorek will desist should missiles attack Israel's home front. The aim of such nuclear stoppage would be to prevent damage to the reactors' outlying area, should missiles penetrate the facilities' defense shields. A decision for such a stoppage was reached by the Israel Atomic Energy Commission, in coordination with the IDF Home Front Command.

Good precaution,

But I thought Israel is constantly under missile attacks on the home front ?

Unless they are anticipating a hugh, large scale attack.

The working assumption shared by the Home Front Command and the IAEC management officials responsible for the two reactors is that the multilayered defense systems, which feature anti-missile missiles calibrated to intercept missiles at various heights, along with fortified installations, should be sufficiently effective to minimize damage in an attack against the reactors.

The IDF and the IAEC, which is subordinate to the prime minister, are prepared for the possibility of an attempted attack on the reactors during a conflict with Iran, Syria, Hezbollah in Lebanon or Hamas and other Palestinian organizations in the Gaza Strip.

Such attacks could be carried out using missiles, rockets, planes or drones. Workers at the reactors will continue to report for duty, but will be active in specially fortified installations and bunkers, as happens with workers employed at other infrastructure or security facilities.

Is this just more Syria-Iran hype,

Or is the threat real ?

IDF and the IAEC prepared for possibility of an attempted attack on the reactors during a conflict with Iran, Syria, Hezbollah in Lebanon or Hamas and other Palestinian organizations in Gaza.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:28 AM
link   
IMO, Israel is just making sure they have a plan in place, just in case # goes down. Yes, they get bombed by Gaza, but you know, they are just planning if something major happens, like if Assad decided to bomb Israel as a last resort for staying in power.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I think this is there way of sending a message to Iran that there not afraid.

I could be wrong though.

Also, sorry if this is shunned on, but I found a recent article about the missles Iran has been testing.
us-iran-missle

Israel played down the military impact of Iran's announcement, saying Tehran's forces were no match for the West's in the Gulf.

Looks like were a big brother.
edit on 3-1-2012 by EmperorXyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
It's not suprising that they thought of it when under attack, because it's a valid target to do major damage. What IS odd, is that they have to bring out this type of news when tensions are higher then ever.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
Good move.

Anyway, if the thing blew up and the whole contested area would become a nuclear wasteland for the next thousands years, it would sure solve the who-controls-Jerusalem problem that has been plaguing the stinking area for the last 2000 years.

You know when two kids fight over something and they just won't stop? Well you take the thing away and nobody gets it, end of the fight. Well Jerusalem is like that. Since they've been killing each other over that city for the last 2000 years, it's time to take it away for everybody since they cannot settle their conflict. Make it radioactive.

And some people say that nuclear energy has only disadvantages!

edit on 3-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by daaskapital
IMO, Israel is just making sure they have a plan in place, just in case # goes down. Yes, they get bombed by Gaza, but you know, they are just planning if something major happens, like if Assad decided to bomb Israel as a last resort for staying in power.

You mean like if the U.S. decides to start the war, as a last resort to just do what they do.. RP is no messiah, but I will answer a question many have asked... "When should you grab your bob and bug out?"... If he looses.

U
edit on 3-1-2012 by USarmyFL because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
They are anticipating a retaliation from Iran after the first strike
Iran will only be defending themself
and if Iran reactor get destroyed
then Dimona should also get destroyed

if Israel dont want his dimona reactor attacked
then they should avoid attacking Iran
edit on 1/3/2012 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Good move.

Anyway, if the thing blew up and the whole contested area would become a nuclear wasteland for the next thousands years, it would sure solve the who-controls-Jerusalem problem that has been plaguing the stinking area for the last 2000 years.

And some people say that nuclear energy has only disadvantages!

edit on 3-1-2012 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

Those have been my thoughts exactly for years... I actually hope someone does nuke that place so at least the bloodshed over it comes to an end... after 2000 years. Its enough.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Those have been my thoughts exactly for years... I actually hope someone does nuke that place so at least the bloodshed over it comes to an end... after 2000 years. Its enough.

Ehm, i just want to present number of points, being the one (among others) who you hope to be nuked.
1) For historical accurateness - bloodshed over this "place" is going for much more then 2000 years. It is intersection between Africa and Middle East so strategically very important.
2) Wars in Europe,Asia,Africa in the 20th century were so much more bloodier then those in Middle East that one wonders how you do not suggest to nuke those areas.
3) In 21 century Middle Est conflicts might be the leading bloodshed "producer", but Africa is still not that far behind. Nuke both, i say. Does not matter that it will kill hundreds of millions in a matter of days so that one will not have to listen to news about hundreds of thousands in matter of years.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I'm guessing if Iran gets attacked, they will unleash hellfire on Israel and aim for the plant.

That would be a huge mess for the region.

top topics

join