It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why 'YOU' Should be careful with what Bible you get.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I've only always used the Confraternity version. Only within the past 10-15 years have I used something more recent.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Indenu

And therein lay the conundrum. I always ask Christians why they think the bible is the word of their god and they say "Because of faith" but then I see them bicker over what version is correct. By that debate alone, the church is admitting that there have been errors made.

Why would a layperson believe that suddenly, after thousands of years, the bible is just now getting misinterpreted? If it is happening under your nose, why assume it couldn't have happened in the past?

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
reply to post by Indenu

And therein lay the conundrum. I always ask Christians why they think the bible is the word of their god and they say "Because of faith" but then I see them bicker over what version is correct. By that debate alone, the church is admitting that there have been errors made.

Why would a layperson believe that suddenly, after thousands of years, the bible is just now getting misinterpreted? If it is happening under your nose, why assume it couldn't have happened in the past?

It is possible and at the same time it could not be possible.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Why would you care about any type of buybull when you can look inside your soul, check your heart and conscious, and know what is the right thing for you?

Really, do we need some book to tell us right from wrong? Nope, I don't believe we do.

IMO organized religion of any kind is dangerous. Spirituality, love, compassion, empathy, respect, those are things we find in ourselves, not in a book.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazed
Why would you care about any type of buybull when you can look inside your soul, check your heart and conscious, and know what is the right thing for you?

Really, do we need some book to tell us right from wrong? Nope, I don't believe we do.

Maybe you should read the NT anyway. Cause it says the exact same thing. It says for the most part that you already know what's right and wrong, and you don't need a book to tell you if you're really honest with yourself. As long as you haven't been deceived.

What the rest of the NT tells us, is that if you have messed up and done wrong anyway, Jesus has already paid a price for you so you don't have to. So, you can just repent and not have to worry about any kind of eternal punishment or anything. And regardless of the minor variations in current translations, they all agree on that point.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
thank you for this thread......soon the masons will jump on and tell you that you are silly.....I have come to the same conclusion as you......truth here ladies and gents.....TRUTH

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by amazed

That's the problem. We are then faced with the problem that some people make the WRONG choices.

How else will we know? Some people are like Lambs, they want something to follow and tell them how to live their life.

IMO organized religion of any kind is dangerous. Spirituality, love, compassion, empathy, respect, those are things we find in ourselves, not in a book.

Indeed we do find them in our selfs, but people use the book of God for guidence when they need it the most.

FACT: We do not FORCE you to worship God. It is a free religion where you are allowed to worship him if you WANT to believe in him, If you dont want to accept him into your life then dont.

Peace

Peace to you also, and thanks for commenting

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by newyorkee
thank you for this thread......soon the masons will jump on and tell you that you are silly.....I have come to the same conclusion as you......truth here ladies and gents.....TRUTH

I'm not sure if I should say Thank you.. however, Thank you for your comment

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Indenu

Here's some videos on the topic you may be interested in.

These may seem somewhat contradictory but they're not. Cause my point is, that people have been trying to change the Bible from the very beginning, but it's turned out to be pretty reliable at getting itself passed down. It hasn't really been changed by the illuminati or the Catholic Church like people claim.

However, it wasn't for LACK OF TRYING. People have been TRYING to change it from the very start. And that's still going on today. Sometimes it's just a different translation. Other times there's agenda behind it.

In my opinion I think I've found the difference. There's two major types of Christianity if you ask me and a pretty good way to sum them up. Even Satanism actually falls into one of these two. All you have to do is ask, who's God in this story? Is God God, or am I God? And that's the difference.

One type teaches that man is man, he's a sinner, and God came to man to save man because only God could. Man couldn't save himself. That God should be worshipped and is the infinite.

The other teaches that God isn't really all that. Jesus was just a man or a prophet and not God. In fact we can evolve to be God ourselves! For example Satanism teaches that Lucifer was the good guy and was trying to help us "evolve" to be Gods. The New Age religion teaches the same thing. That we can ascend to gods/higher beings or go through a "great change" when we pass though the photon belt in 2012! Or something like that.

Typically denominations that believe that type of thing will also try to supplement the Bible with extra reading material. Usually from their own prophets, such as the book of mormon or something like that. Then they'll try to downplay the Bible and what it says for their own material.

Now I'm not gonna say which is right or wrong. All I could tell you is which one I believe in. But that's not my point. My point was simply to show how one can identify which you're working with. Because the difference between two churches isn't usually as drastic as Satanism vs Catholicism lol. Sometimes the churches can seem almost exactly the same.

But if you pay attention you may realize one is actually teaching something different than the other. For example, one may be teaching that God heals if you have faith. While the one across the street teaches that YOU can heal people if you have faith. Notice the difference?
edit on 3-1-2012 by tinfoilman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
Great post.

As most people know, I do not trust the bible, because it was written by many different people over many years.

But I do believe in Jesus.

I would like people to explore their faith without instruction.

How on earth do you propose to follow Christ without reading his words? I think that the core truth(s) of the Bible is incorruptable.... you just have to weed through the BS....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blarneystoner

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone
Great post.

As most people know, I do not trust the bible, because it was written by many different people over many years.

But I do believe in Jesus.

I would like people to explore their faith without instruction.

How on earth do you propose to follow Christ without reading his words? I think that the core truth(s) of the Bible is incorruptable.... you just have to weed through the BS....

Exactly, but however weeding the BS out is sometimes the tricky bit

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Indenu

ummmmm o....k....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I find the language of the KJV to be too "flowery" and as such it always detracted from the message from my point of view. Nowadays I use the NIV and I like how much more straightforward it is by comparison. I do own many other bibles, but the NIV always calls to me.

Rev

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Indenu

Good job bud, keep up the good work. The new bible perversions are not worth the paper they are printed on. Glad to see others know this fact as well
S&F

Read in my post on Bible answers found in my signature for more Bible version discussion.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by tinfoilman

Well, if it says the exact same thing I said, then why should I read it? Seems I looked inside my heart and soul and found the "right" path anyway.

I don't need a book to tell me how to live my life, nor do I need one to tell me right from wrong. My conscious tells me that.

@Indenu, are you saying that if people read a book, then they WON'T make the wrong choices? I don't know, I see it every day, people reading the buybull and running around judging others and basically making the wrong choices. So reading a book, any book doesn't make a darn bit of difference if the person isn't looking inside themselves in the FIRST place.

You ask, "how else will we know"? Uhm.... by looking inside yourself and living with love, compassion, empathy and respect. You will never get those from a book, you may get the definition of those from a book, but a book cannot and will never force a person to actually FEEL those things.

Read and follow........ LOVE, COMPASSION, EMPATHY and RESPECT. That is ALL that is needed. With those the world lives in greatness. Following blindly is how we all walk off a cliff without realizing it.

Why do people feel they need a book so old and changed by humans throughout the ages non the less to guide them I will never comprehend. Think for yourselves, god gave you a brain to think with ya know, she also gave you a heart to listen to.

Force? I personally think that is a matter of perspective. As far as I am concerned organized religion is all about force, quietly and secretly sneaking into people psyches and destroying personal choices through fear and thought stopping phrases. Starting at the age of birth so that the person has no choice in the matter what so ever to me is just damaging and hateful and cruel. Brainwashing from birth comes to mind. Let's not teach our young ones that they will spend eternity in hell if they don't believe an old book, let's start by making sure they continue to grow and learn and live with those 4 words I mentioned.... Love, Compassion, Empathy, Respect.

Yes, I believe in reading, I believe in reading with an open mind without closing yourself off to what your own conscious is telling you. I believe in reading as many different books as you can, including all types of religions. Doing so just might shock certain people into realizing that pretty much we are all humans trying to live our lives to best of our ability. Well..... most of us at least.

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I have LIVED that life of "force" you claim doesn't exist. I grew up with it.

Organized religion to me is nothing but a great way to control the population and divide people into different groups who then try to claim they KNOW the RIGHT way and if you don't follow them you are wrong. It is sad. Read your book, but please keep an open mind. Please remember this world has had thousands of religions which basically say "I'm right and you are wrong".... :-) which one of those will YOU choose? Are you really tossing the dice and hoping you get a "winner"? The odds are against you ya know... so.... Good luck with that. I think I'll stick with listening to my heart and conscious instead of tossing the dice and hoping out of all the thousands of the "my religion is right and your religion is wrong" choices that I just somehow choose the "right" one.

To me, the "right one" is the one which leaves me living my life with Love, Compassion, Empathy and Respect. I don't need a book or a religion for that.

Harm None
Peace

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Our Lord redeemed humanity with His suffering death on the cross. Jesus
opened Heaven. Redemption is not Justification. You have to make a
free will choice for God every moment of your life. Persevere in following
God until the very end.

Prayer, for Catholics the grace of the 7 Sacraments, for Our Brothers and sisters, they have 2 Sacraments, Matrimony and Baptism. These are God's way of helping you get to Heaven. With the help of His grace, God's grace helps you to desire to repent and confess your sins. If it's been a long time and you're inspired to pray, to repent, this is God's "actual grace" working on you.

Reading Scripture is a form of prayer, you receive God's grace, take the
time, read Scripture, especially the Gospel.

I love the Gospel of John.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I think the English language is becoming Satanic that is why they don't put the right wording in,
so far in the English language Bad is Good, just ask Michael Jackson.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
You know the verse where Paul says unless you believe it is truly the "body"
of Our Lord in the Eucharist, you bring judgment on yourself.

1 Corinthians 11:29.

I should check, do the verses match, the Douay-Rheims vs the KJV?
They may, good for the KJV if it does.

I'll go look,

colbe

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
1 Corinthians 11:29

KJV ~

For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh damnation to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.

Douay-Rheims ~

For he that eateth and drinketh unworthily, eateth and drinketh judgment to himself, not discerning the body of the Lord.

Wow! The KJV says it..."damnation."

It is truly the risen body and blood, soul and divinity of Our Lord. The Eucharist (not juice and crackers) is God Himself. All of humanity needs the Holy Eucharist.

Protestants run from, they are silent about this verse and all of John 6. It's going to be the Great Warning to change their hearts.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I recently saw a bumper sticker that read: "If it ain't King James 1611, it ain't Bible!" And I wonder to myself, where these people think King James got his source material from? You'd be surprised at how many people believe Jesus was white and spoke English around here. Saying he's a Jew will get you yelled at and/or slapped.

I prefer the Jerusalem Bible. It's one of the best one's I've read.

Jerusalem Bible

The Bible isn't a dead document. That's what a lot of people forget. It's dynamic and evolving as we evolve. I grew up in a generation that thought the ten headed beast of Revelation was literally a ten headed beast. How many would believe that now?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join