It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iraq vet sought in killing of Rainier ranger is found dead

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Iraq vet sought in killing of Rainier ranger is found dead

usnews.msnbc.msn.com

Officials confirm that a body found earlier Monday is that of Benjamin Colton Barnes, the suspect in the killing of Mount Rainier National Park Ranger Margaret Anderson. Two weapons were found with the body.

No wounds were found on the body, suggesting he perished from the cold overnight. Barnes, an Iraq War veteran, was wearing just a T-shirt and jeans when his body was found in a river.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Looks like he didn't have his BoB or any other gear. Unfortunately he took another life...while being a idiot in the process.

Looks like he really was not prepared to follow up on his actions.

Reports say that he had plenty of gear and he didn't bring it along.

How many survialists fit this description? I would probably say, most.

usnews.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   
...and yet another idiot shows that the latest NDAA was the "right" thing to do for Obama. Are we that post in the survival forum going to be on a watch list now?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
My heart goes out for that poor woman, my prayers are with her family.

as for this guy, i just can't put my finger on it but something with this story is just not right.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Naaaa, they got it all wrong. See this is a coverup for Mt.Rainier getting ready to explode, and the guy died of volcanic gas emissions that Rainier has started putting out, along with quake swarms.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Probably.

But I'm ok with that.

I'm no threat to anybody that doesn't threaten me.

I'm generally a nice guy.
edit on 2-1-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
We take young men with little education and hardly any life experience, teach them to be killers and to think that an enemy is less than human and therefore OK to kill with extreme prejudice, and then wonder why so many of them are ill-suited to resume life in society.

They are returning to a society that has no jobs for them, no future and no hope. Trained killers, who said goodbye to their humanity long ago, are suddenly expected to do a 180, forget everything they've learned, seen and felt, and get with the program of a low-paying job, or no job, and a society that has no tolerance for violence.

This, to me, is one of the greatest crimes of war. If a soldier is not destroyed physically, they are often destroyed mentally.

In no way does this excuse the actions of this young man, but it explains an awful lot. Who says the war is not on our own shores?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by hapablab

as for this guy, i just can't put my finger on it but something with this story is just not right.

I agree with you completely! It just smells funny. Does anyone else find it strange that this guy is in the military? So many of these people that committ crimes like this have a military background. It's just odd to me. I'm not saying he was used as a cover, but I'm not saying he wasn't.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Does something not make sense here to anyone else? I would imagine even if he snapped and wanted to go shoot people or something he would be geared up. He would prepare in a fashion that would suit his mission. He was wearing only a t-shirt. It doesn't make sense to me

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Start taking better care of the vets.. there's the answer.
2nd freaking line.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   

The tats on this guy look strange ... kind of like he was trying to be in the cool group.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
We take young men with little education and hardly any life experience, teach them to be killers and to think that an enemy is less than human and therefore OK to kill with extreme prejudice, and then wonder why so many of them are ill-suited to resume life in society.

They are returning to a society that has no jobs for them, no future and no hope. Trained killers, who said goodbye to their humanity long ago, are suddenly expected to do a 180, forget everything they've learned, seen and felt, and get with the program of a low-paying job, or no job, and a society that has no tolerance for violence.

This, to me, is one of the greatest crimes of war. If a soldier is not destroyed physically, they are often destroyed mentally.

In no way does this excuse the actions of this young man, but it explains an awful lot. Who says the war is not on our own shores?

Part of me agrees with you, but yet a part disagrees.

I’m a retired vet with 30+ years and I do feel that I am not
damaged in any way other than physically.

I’m working and feel that it is my responsibility to take care of myself. (I do give charitably by the way)

Chances are though, if we were to interview this soldiers supervisors, they would say he was a fruitcake.

I know this first hand. I have tried to get soldiers help, but they refused, and then it just turned into a boondoogle.
Paperwork that few want to deal with.
edit on 2-1-2012 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by britelite1971

I agree with you completely! It just smells funny. Does anyone else find it strange that this guy is in the military? So many of these people that committ crimes like this have a military background. It's just odd to me. I'm not saying he was used as a cover, but I'm not saying he wasn't.

that's what I wanted to say but you said it better, it is odd, and the story doesn't add up at all, I like the last part of your comment " I'm not saying he was used as a cover, but I'm not saying he wasn't",

remember this April 7th report of the department of homeland security here is a quote from that report.

“the return of military veterans facing significant challenges reintegrating into their communities could lead to the potential emergence of terrorist groups or lonewolf extremists capable of carrying out violent attacks.” Socio-political issues such as illegal immigration, abortion, limitations on gun rights, and the loss of American sovereignty could make matters worse for these individuals, the reports suggests."

makes ya think.

here is the report, its in pdf format.

DHS report

edit on 2-1-2012 by hapablab because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
he's like the real life john rambo, first blood part 1.

maybe col. trautman can talk some sense into him before more people are killed.

"Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! "- john rambo.

but unlike rambo, this guy is most likely going to end riddled with bullets in a few days.

another victim of the iraq war.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
he's like the real life john rambo, first blood part 1.

maybe col. trautman can talk some sense into him before more people are killed.

"Nothing is over! Nothing! You just don't turn it off! It wasn't my war! You asked me, I didn't ask you! And I did what I had to do to win! But somebody wouldn't let us win! "- john rambo.

but unlike rambo, this guy is most likely going to end riddled with bullets in a few days.

another victim of the iraq war.

Read the top post again....he dead.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by hapablab

Well, if you think that US servicemembers don't have a view of their own....ya have another think coming.

Just sayin', we were not all automatons.

There are as many success stories out there, not published, as horror stories.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

Well, if you think that US servicemembers don't have a view of their own....ya have another think coming.

Just sayin', we were not all automatons.

There are as many success stories out there, not published, as horror stories.

I think our service men are strong and smart men, I am from a military family.

I also think of what Rahm said once, "You never want a serious crisis to go to waste. And what I mean by that is an opportunity to do things you think you could not do before."

and if you read that report I linked to, I wouldn't put it past big sis to run with this one.
edit on 2-1-2012 by hapablab because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Watch the movie "Shooter". The character retired as a E8 to a mountain retreat. Now I am realistic enough to realize that I would not retire to a lifestyle as the character did. But often that is what the vet wants.

A return to normalcy. A chance to do what you, as an individual enjoys. Nothing really wrong with that.

I think that one of the problems vets have is that many take things personally. If there is one thing that they should have learned in the military is that it is not a personal issue. You either perform, or you don’t. Just like the real world.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I don't put anything past this current Admin.

Just look at Holder. F&F ring a bell?

I am aware of what is going on.

I just want it to stop.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I don't put anything past this current Admin.

Just look at Holder. F&F ring a bell?

I am aware of what is going on.

I just want it to stop.

F&F is a spit in our faces, makes me want to puke.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join