It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Deep Gulf Drilling Thrives 18 Months After BP Spill

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Source

Alaminos Canyon Block 857, Gulf of Mexico - Two hundred miles off the coast of Texas, ribbons of pipe are reaching for oil and natural gas deeper below the ocean's surface than ever before.

These pipes, which run nearly two miles deep, are connected to a floating platform that is so remote Shell named it Perdido, which means "lost" in Spanish. What attracted Shell to this location is a geologic formation found throughout the Gulf of Mexico that may contain enough oil to satisfy U.S. demand for two years.

While Perdido is isolated, it isn't alone. Across the Gulf, energy companies are probing dozens of new deepwater fields thanks to high oil prices and technological advances that finally make it possible to tap them.

The newfound oil will not do much to lower global oil prices. But together with increased production from onshore U.S. fields and slowing domestic demand for gasoline, it could help reduce U.S. oil imports by more than half over the next decade.

It is amazing how little we have heard in the MSM about the gulf after that monstrous oil spill.

Well, here is an interesting tidbit, we have not learned from our mistakes, now, if we have one they will just be bigger and worse.

To hear that they do all this work and take all these risks for just 2 years worth of oil is kind of disheartening. If they are willing to take these risks for that amount what would they be willing to do for a 10 year supply? 20? 50?

I just had to share this little bit of grim news, because that is what we have become as a species, Grim...

Any thoughts?

Pred...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Sorry if this is too offtopic but what happens to the space underground that the oil once held once it's gone???

Could it cause more earthquakes and more weather imbalance?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by EmperorXyn

It is illegal for the unwashed masses to know this kind of information. We must live in fear, doubt and ignorance, nothing more.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver

It is illegal for the unwashed masses to know this kind of information. We must live in fear, doubt and ignorance, nothing more.

I first thought this was sarcasm... I later realized it wasn't.

But seriously really hoping it wasn't sarcasm. It may be a dumb question, but idk.
edit on 1-1-2012 by EmperorXyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Scary stuff. I was researching who owned the gulf a short while ago and came across a website which poses an interesting question once ownership is established.

I will quote the imporatant question but the website is Here

Who owns the Gulf of Mexico? The federal government. But I still have at least one question I want to find the answer to and that is who owns the oil that comes from the well?

The majority of the information I have correlated and confirmed but there may be errors or omissions on my behalf.

WTF are we doing people?

EDIT: Emphasising their view that it is merely a system to be controlled and used check the sweet cuts of meat, I mean coast, that companies can lease for a measly 53 million dollars. Warning HUGE file: PDF-MAMMOTHSIZE
edit on 1-1-2012 by usernamehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Sorry, I was being sarcastic but also serious. I am not e seismologist but I would guess that eventually, things will have to c(rumble).
It's idle speculation of course but there you go.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by predator0187

What did you expect, that people would learn from their mistakes? Psh, as long as they're making money, who cares about the environment.

Yeah like you said, the media has seemed to have given us very little to absolutely no coverage about the environmental reprecussions of the oil spill. They just move onto the next thing and people forget all about it.

This video satirizes the BP oil spill and how it was handled, it's hilarious

edit on 1-1-2012 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Would it be enough to cause a tsunami?? Just curious if anyone knows.

Originally posted by TupacShakur
reply to post by predator0187

What did you expect, that people would learn from their mistakes? Psh, as long as they're making money, who cares about the environment.

Yeah like you said, the media has seemed to have given us very little to absolutely no coverage about the environmental reprecussions of the oil spill. They just move onto the next thing and people forget all about it.

This video satirizes the BP oil spill and how it was handled, it's hilarious

edit on 1-1-2012 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

And too many people care about themselves more than the environment... Sorry to say, but it's FACT. Unless the government gets 100% involved about global warming nothing will happen about it.
edit on 1-1-2012 by EmperorXyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Oh dude you're definitely on the right track. I hate to generalize like this, but most people don't even think about things like pollution and environmental damage on a daily basis. It doesn't even cross their mind. I'm pretty sure there are oil spills that go on every year, but we just heard about this one in detail because it hit close to home. I can't even imagine how all of that will eventually affect life on Earth in the long run.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur

Oh dude you're definitely on the right track. I hate to generalize like this, but most people don't even think about things like pollution and environmental damage on a daily basis. It doesn't even cross their mind. I'm pretty sure there are oil spills that go on every year, but we just heard about this one in detail because it hit close to home. I can't even imagine how all of that will eventually affect life on Earth in the long run.

I don't think event the smartest of people know how it will effect too..

Like I used to think people that caused polution in this planet were horrible people. But then I found out how much polution I CAUSE on a daily basis I fealt like complete #, and I didn't plan on changing my daily life of driving, ect.

I then came to the conclusion were all #ed =p I'm an open minded person about keeping this planet well, but if I got the natural thoughts to don't give a **** about the planet I realized their is wayyy too many people that don't care.

top topics

join