It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twins abundant in a Ukraine town

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Wow... There really must be something in the water. This is an ABC report on a small town in Ukraine where there is a high percentage of twins. 9 pairs of twins in 1 school!
Quite a good watch duration is just over 2 mins.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   
The potential for this thread to go way wrong is massive. But It may be quite funny.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by 412304

Of course, there are a high number of Twins there, that's where the Minnesota baseball team has their training camp.

But looked at from another angle, it only makes sense that some town in the world will have a high concentration of twins, just like there is a town somewhere with a low concentration of twins. I think we're looking at one tail of a normal distribution curve.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Lol @ The Minnesota Joke...

But is it luck that their are so many twins there??? It may, or maybe more than luck. It may be inbred's who knows.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Here's just a little more information that may be useful:

About 1 in 90 human births (1.1%) results from a twin pregnancy. The rate of dizygotic twinning varies greatly among ethnic groups, ranging as high as about 45 per 1000 births for the Yoruba to 10% for Linha São Pedro, a tiny Brazilian settlement which belongs to the city of Cândido Godói. In Cândido Godói, one in five pregnancies has resulted in twins. The Argentine historian Jorge Camarasa has put forward a theory that experiments of the Nazi doctor Josef Mengele could be responsible for the high ratio of twins in the area. His theory was rejected by Brazilian scientists who had studied twins living in Linha São Pedro; they suggested genetic factors within that community as a more likely explanation. A high twinning rate has also been observed in other places of the world, including Igbo-Ora in Nigeria and Kodinji in India.
Of course, that only makes the problem more confusing for me, but maybe it will trigger something in your mind.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by 412304

Genetic predisposition to twins add small town. Inbreeding. I once moved to a small town, really small and I soon learned that everyone I met was a cousin of everyone else I met and i rarely me someone like myself that was unrelated there.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
this reminds me of Joseph Mengele.

the Nazi´s ´Angel of Death´.

The Nazi doctor Josef Mengele is responsible for the astonishing number of twins in a small Brazilian town, an Argentine historian has claimed.

The steely hearted "Angel of Death", whose mission was to create a master race fit for the Third Reich, was the resident medic at Auschwitz from May 1943 until his flight in the face of the Red Army advance in January 1945.

Now, a historian claims, Mengele's notorious experiments may have borne fruit.

For years scientists have failed to discover why as many as one in five pregnancies in a small Brazilian town have resulted in twins – most of them blond haired and blue eyed. But residents of Candido Godoi now claim that Mengele made repeated visits there in the early 1960s, posing at first as a vet but then offering medical treatment to the women of the town.

very thought provoking stuff.

[url=http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/brazil/4307262/Nazi-angel-of-death-Josef-Mengele-created-twin-town-in-Brazil.html]source[/ url]

top topics

join