It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If you are 40 or older, you might think this is hilarious!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I'm 34 and found most of these relevant .. but I'm pretty sure microwaves were around, after all they were "discovered" / "invented" during World War 2 were they not? I know they were around in the 70s for cooking .. =) no matter

Funny!

You're right but they were so darn expensive the average person couldn't afford microwaves like today.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Love it....omg it's all so true and thats how it was in the 1950's and 1960s, they were the best years of my life.

How's this.....

This should be posted in every school or kid's bedroom.
Love him or hate him , he sure hits the nail on the head with this!
Bill Gates recently gave a speech at a High School about eleven (11) things they did not and will not learn in school.He talks about how feel-good, politically correct teachings have created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept has set them up ...for failure in the real world.

Rule 1 : Life is not fair - get used to it!
Rule 2 : The world doesn't care about your self-esteem.
The world will expect you to accomplish something
BEFORE you feel good about yourself.
Rule 3 : You will NOT make $60,000 a year right out of high school.
You won't be a vice-president with a car phone until you earn both.
Rule 4 : If you think your teacher is tough, wait till you get a boss
Rule 5 : Flipping burgers is not beneath your dignity.
Your Grandparents had a different word for burger flipping:
They called it opportunity.
Rule 6 : If you mess up, it's not your parents' fault,
so don't whine about your mistakes, learn from them.
Rule 7 : Before you were born, your parents weren't as boring
as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills,
cleaning your clothes and listening to you
talk about how cool you thought you were:
So before you save the rain forest
from the parasites of your parent's generation,
try delousing the closet in your own room..
Rule 8 : Your school may have done away with winners and losers,
but life HAS NOT. In some schools, they have abolished failing grades
and they'll give you as MANY TIMES as you want to get the right answer.

*This doesn't bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.
Rule 9 : Life is not divided into semesters.
You don't get summers off and very few employers
are interested in helping you FIND YOURSELF.
*Do that on your own time.
Rule 10 : Television is NOT real life.
In real life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to jobs.
Rule 11 : Be nice to nerds.
Chances are you'll end up working for one..

If you can read this... Thank a Teacher.
If you can read this in English... Thank a Soldier!
And for life and everything else you have... Thank God!!
Now.... think about this and smile if you agree and please pass this on....

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

That's so true. However which age group are you having a go at? Is it teens or younger? As I'm 42 but in my late teens we did have the analogue mobile phones, not all of us but just the tools who didn't mind carrying around a brick all day,
I'm sure I do remember microwaves when I was young but they were big.
edit on 1-1-2012 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
It's not the kids fault it's our fault for allowing society to go this way.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

You hit the nail on the head with this thread.

I am 47,and when my kids come up to me,stating they are bored,I give them a shovel and point them in the direction of a pile of rocks that need to be moved.
They have more electronics and games them Kim Jong Un.
And when my wife complains to me that I don't have my cell phone with me when I run an errand,I tell her,well what did we do 10 or 15 years ago with out them.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Op is 100% right. if a nuclear war broke out and an emp burst fried all the communications in the world, kids nowadays would be bored to tears, no video games, no facebook, no texting. Nothing but just you and what youre imagination could think of to do and if you didn't have an imagination you were just f'ed.

You don't even have to be over 40, I'm 32 and i can remember those days and back then our lives moved at a much slower and much simpler pace. Nowadays its gogogogo, people can't even stay off the cell phones long enough to drive to work in silence they have to constantly be connected and all this is doing is weakening the human race.

I can remember when i was a kid of the atari and first nintendo game systems coming out and i used to think as a kid "wow thats neat". I look at a nintendo entertainment system now (1985 ones) and i'm like "damn, thats a piece of crap" but i feel notsalgic because of the simpler times i lived in.
edit on 2-1-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

And when my wife complains to me that I don't have my cell phone with me when I run an errand,I tell her,well what did we do 10 or 15 years ago with out them

Thats exactly what i tell mine. Back in the good ol days if you weren't near a phone, no one could contact you, they were just sh*t out of luck, keep calling every half hour or hour till they got ahold of you. I didn;t even start using cell phones until a few years ago, i was the last hold out from times before. if i didn't want to be found you weren't going to find me...

...and then i got married and she gave me a cell phone for a wedding gift so now she is shoved up my ass 24/7 and i dunno where i end and she begins. Sometimes while driving down the road i'd like to just roll down my window and throw that damned thing as hard as i can out the window...

I see people talking on cell phones while theyre driving and holding that 1 hand up to their ears all the time and it honest to God gets on my nerves, like really bad. Society has gotten so past paced (like the Jetsons) people don'teven take the time to enjoy the little moments in life...i feel old, and i'm only 32.
edit on 2-1-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:15 AM
link   
I got to say this thread is pretty entertaining. I'm 27 and being born in '84 I think by the time we were roughly two to three years from high school, a lot of crazy technological advances hit everybody like a tank. It was an interesting transition. Remember when asking to use somebodies phone and not getting a response like "Get your own !@#$ing phone." Oh yeah, and I remember what the outside air and sun felt like when riding miles around the neighborhood day after day when school let out. I feel like turning into an ol' curmudgeon now, but I'll stop. Thanks for the post.

And one more thing, the week-long wait for cartoons on Saturday morning, hahaha!!!
edit on 1/2/2012 by Tundra because: Add

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
You kids in the 70s had it easy:

1. Library? Yeah, right. We needed to know something we just asked the oldest kid, and took his word for it.

2. Write a letter? I'd write a thank you card to Grandma for the money she sent for my birthday, but only when I was forced to. Writing was for school.

3. Yeah, we're going to get our butts whipped, no way around that. You would think that the magazine-in-the-pants trick would work at least once, though. Parents always knew the first time you tried it.

4. No need to steal a record. You broke that record player two years ago, and Dad says you won't get another one till you learn some responsibility. Like that's ever going to happen.

5. You didn't dare touch Dad's reel to reel tape recorder. See number 3.

6. Mom will answer the phone and let you know if it's for you. It's not, your friend's mom won't let them use the phone either.

7. You didn't need a cell phone, you had a bike. You want to talk to your friend go see 'em. Not only was it good exercise, but you learned important life lessons. Like a car steering wheel on a bike looks cool. And the missing teeth they cause look kind of cool, too.

8. You didn't need caller ID. If somebody called you it was someone who knew you and had a reason to call. Telemarketing hadn't caught on. Anyone obnoxious enough to be a telemarketer already had a job working for the government.

9. Space Invaders and Asteroids? We just imagined we were spacemen, cowboys, pirates, and superheros. Some rich kid might have Pong.

10. Who needs TV Guide for 3 channels? Besides, you already knew what time Gilligan's Island, Star Trek, and Batman came on, what else did you need to know?

11. One of the worse things about growing up in the 60s was watching cartoons go from kind of neat to really sucky. Some adults got it into their heads that cartoon violence was a bad thing. Glad we got over that.

12. My sister had an Easy Bake Oven, but we could only scrounge up a 25W bulb. Turns out raw cake batter wasn't that bad. Money didn't grow on trees, but sticks did. If we could swipe some matches we could roast marshmallows.

13. Of course, we had to play outside. We were not allowed to play indoors, except for board games. Rainy days of Clue, Risk, Stratego, and Monopoly. Learning to play with missing pieces helped to prepare us for our ultimate destiny; Alzheimer's.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   
The closest thing that we had to Atari and Nintendo was called Pinball. Kids today would think Pinball was boring since it didn't have all the 3D graphics and sounds. You just got your basic flashing light and bells ringing when you hit a bumper. Knowing how and when to hit the flipper and just the right amount of pull on the plunger to get that steel ball right where you wanted it was an art. Anyone remember Pinball Wizard?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

Originally posted by miniatus
I'm 34 and found most of these relevant .. but I'm pretty sure microwaves were around, after all they were "discovered" / "invented" during World War 2 were they not? I know they were around in the 70s for cooking .. =) no matter

Funny!

You're right but they were so darn expensive the average person couldn't afford microwaves like today.

Hell, somebody will just give you their old microwave now because they just bought the one that has a new button. Gotta keep up.

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:35 AM
link   
After reading all of this thread I feel very old... I remember segregation and and race riots in the deep south, duck and cover drills, and bomb shelters in backyards... A little propaganda sheet in elementary school called "My Weekly Reader", "American Band Stand", Elvis being drafted, the Everly Brothers joining the Marines, standing on the sidewalk with neighbors looking at the sky to see the Sputnik satellite go by... Cars like my father's Studebaker Commander, the neighbors Hudson Hornet, Desoto, Nash, Packard and a little bitty thing called Crosley... Sears Roebuck selling motorcycles and surplus military rifles for as low as $9.95... Playing baseball under a high tension electrical power line over the field... The most popular thing a boy could own was a Lionel Train and girls had a little oven that used a light bulb to bake with... Davy Crockett coon skin caps were the rage followed by the Hula Hoop.. I could go on but I will just finish by saying I bought into the brain washing about South East Asia and grew up directing close air support and medevac missions on the DMZ with the 9Th Marine Regiment and was a disabled veteran 2 years before I was old enough to vote... Joining up was my way of avoiding the draft..... I'm glad my kids didn't have to go through the same sort of stuff but from what my parents told me The Great Depression wasn't all that great and neither was WW2 but people did support each other through those periods....

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

I love this comment.

13. Of course, we had to play outside. We were not allowed to play indoors, except for board games. Rainy days of Clue, Risk, Stratego, and Monopoly.Learning to play with missing pieces helped to prepare us for our ultimate destiny; Alzheimer's.

You rule!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I'm not exactly the target audience you had in mind but I can definitely relate to everything you listed except number 12. I'm a firm believer that cell phones are evil....seriously who gets so much good news on the phone they can't stand to be away from it for any length of time? And I'm pretty sure texts are a step backward in technology.... I could be wrong but how on earth was that an improvement on communication?
edit on 2-1-2012 by PutAQuarterIn because: I forgot a word

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I remember making billy carts. The fast ones with ball bearings as wheels and good for wicked slides. Most kids today are too fat to be part of a two man cart team and too soft to go down a steep hill
In fact I think they're too scared to go outside.

edit on 2-1-2012 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
hahahah im alot younger than 40, can relate to some of what was listed...but ive heard the whole list before from my dad...and my granddad....heaps of times!! all i have to say to about us younger generations is I WAS NEVER ASKED TO COME INTO THIS WORLD!!!! stop whinging about what your generation created!! your just jealous!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I was born in the mid 90s, and yeah we have all this crazy technology and everything is a finger tap away, but god would i have loved to have been born in the 60s. Everyones more connected now, but at the same time farther away, people are obsessed with updating their statuses or texting the person thats right next to them, people are thinking less and obsessed about the most ridiculous things. I envy you guys that were lucky enough to have lived through the 60s to the 80s

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
reply to post by kdog1982

...and then i got married and she gave me a cell phone for a wedding gift so now she is shoved up my ass 24/7 and i dunno where i end and she begins. Sometimes while driving down the road i'd like to just roll down my window and throw that damned thing as hard as i can out the window...

I with you on the wife thing...My wife will send me to the store and call before I get there, not to tell me to get something else, just to ask where I'm at?...I don't get it; If you throw that damned thing out the window I'll run over it, then you can do mine...thanks

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:09 AM
link   
I may only be 18 but let me tell ya if your parents are 40 you probably did the same things too, because there was no way we were gonna have it that easy I can check off most of that list myself. But regardless even i say people are too tech dependent, I would love a life without it all. Brings many complications to a world that could do much better without.
edit on 2-1-2012 by Brandon88 because: word placement

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Lets not forget, we drank water pumped from a well out of a rubber hose laying in the yard on hot summer days too- none of this wimpy bottled water crap!

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join