It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds Of Manatee Deaths Reported 440 Manatees Died In December

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Funny this just came out today because this afternoon while walking the beach on this picture perfect day here in south Florida, I was just saying: as a state 'mascot' I just don't see manatees swimming and frolicking about as one would expect. In fact, I haven't seen a-one in over a year.

So...........they're dying.
Why?

There hasn't been any cold spells down here. What's going on I wonder?

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Officials are reporting 440 manatee deaths throughout the state by mid-December, the second-highest number on record.

That follows 766 manatee deaths in 2010 and 429 in 2009.

Brevard County had the most manatee deaths, recording 98. Lee County had 65, followed by Collier County with 28.

Wildlife officials tell the News-Press (newspr.es... ) that extreme cold contributed to the high numbers of manatee deaths. Boat collisions also are blamed for many of the deaths.

But officials are also counting more manatees than in past years. A January survey counted 4,835 manatees, compared with 5,076 in January 2010 and 3,802 in January 2009.

Read more: www.wpbf.com...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Well you can thank BP for all the Corexit they dumped in the Gulf. The areas effected with the largest deaths are were the Gulf Stream is the closest to shore.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge
Well you can thank BP for all the Corexit they dumped in the Gulf. The areas effected with the largest deaths are were the Gulf Stream is the closest to shore.

My sentiments exactly. Ever since that fiasco,(as far as I've been paying attention anyway), the amount of animal die-offs have been unprecedented.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
My first thoughts... Corexit... same as yours.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Considering the low population of manatees, this is tragic.
Manatees are amazing creatures, and the lose of these
animals is a tragedy.

S+F to help raise awareness of this.
edit on 31-12-2011 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Aww, manatees were one of my fav wildlife to visit when I lived in So. Fl and still one of my fan and concern for marine wildlife. Very sad. Pollution/BP, boat accidents, or something unknown...family in FL says it's been really odd temperate changes locally, maybe it's affecting them. Maybe the water is getting too hot causing them to migrate(temps way above 74 or so degrees)? Too cold causing them to huddle closer to boats and other areas that pose a danger. In '10 the cooler waters causes them to search for warmer water [url=http://www.physorg.com/news/2010-12-manatees-fla-chill.html]here[/url.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I've swam with these wonderful creatures before. If there was one species of animal that was both intelligent and peaceful... it would be this creature..... not humans of course.

new topics

top topics

join