It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2012 : 40 000 new laws to go into effect

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Seriously, do America REALLY needs 40 000 new laws? 40 000 steps closer to making everything a crime to make sure the prison industry profits go up in 2012!

New laws toughen rules on abortions, immigrants, voters

Among 40,000 signed bills: No happy hours in Utah, safer golf carts in Georgia

About 40,000 state laws taking effect at the start of the new year will change rules about getting abortions in New Hampshire, learning about gays and lesbians in California, getting jobs in Alabama and even driving golf carts in Georgia.

Several federal rules change with the new year, too, including a Social Security increase amounting to $450 a year for the average recipients and stiff fines up to $2,700 per offense for truckers and bus drivers caught using hand-held cellphones while driving.

NBC News, the National Conference of State Legislatures, The Associated Press, and other organizations tracked the changes and offered their views on the highlights.

Many laws reflect the nation's concerns over immigration, the cost of government and the best way to protect and benefit young people, including regulations on sports concussions.

Eight states will raise the minimum wage, NBC News reported. They include Arizona, Oregon, Washington, Montana, Colorado, Ohio, Vermont and Florida, NBC News said. San Francisco will become the first city to raise its minimum wage above $10 per hour. The new $10.24 minimum is nearly $3 above the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour, set in 2009.

Some of them (probably the tiny minority) of those laws are necessary and help the average guy, but the huge majority is setting new government control over your lives, new taxes, fines, etc...

The government is really going wild...pushing more and more control over everyone's lives minute by minute, soon to be second by second.

Time to put a 10 years ban on any new law. That 10 years would be used to repeal laws that don't work or protect the corrupt members of society.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
The more laws they make, the deeper they can reach into the pockets of the citizens.

Break a law? Pay a fine.

This is how the REAL money masters work. They don't gamble or predict. They just create so many laws that eventually a wet fart on a public bus will cost you a $100 fine because it'll be deemed a public nuisance.

Ridiculous times my friends.

Peace

edit on 31-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Out of everything in that article, this...

Irvis Orozco, 24, is a senior studying international relations at the University of California, Davis. Under a new state law affecting infants brought to the United States illegally, Orozco will be able to receive private financial aid at California's public colleges.

made me [snip] SICK.
edit on 31-12-2011 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Remember that ignorance of the law is not a defense. If you have not read through and understood all 40,000 of these laws then you have no excuse when you are arrested under one of them. Look in the mirror and recognize that YOU are a criminal. Your 'detention' is inevitable.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well, since the government knows what is best for all us, they must regulate our every move. I mean after all, if they don't regulate our every move, we might harm ourselves or make an incorrect decision. Eat your big macs now because next year they will be illegal.

Also, please continue to keep working because the government needs your tax dollars so that they can continue to regulate your every move and make sure that you don't harm yourself......(message sponsered by the fat cats in Washington DC). Thank you. Have a nice and SAFE day!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
$2,700 ticket for using a cell phone... Yeah.. We had a word for those tickets when I was among the those driving up and down the nation's highways. The word is Bankruptcy and it's all there is sometimes. $2,700 means much more with court costs and ..oh want to fight it? Well, I never lost a case I fought as a trucker. Not once. EVER. I just accepted a doubling of the fine amount, plus costs, plus $300-$1500 in attorney costs. Yeah, some phone call. If Diabetes hadn't gotten me out of trucking, the very nature of the changes right now would have.

40,000 new laws... I wonder, did we really even need ONE more?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

Remember that ignorance of the law is not a defense.

Very good point. That's what the cops and the government always say.

And that is their trick. Make it IMPOSSIBLE to know all the laws.

In my book, you only need two laws : don't do harm to anybody and respect everyone's private property.

Like Shakespeare said : "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers".
edit on 31-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
We vote in a law that for a living breathing person...

The ignorance of laws that are not in the Magna Carta, Bill of Rights, Constution or sincxe 1913 'is' an excuse.

40,000 laws just last year? How many are there on the books total?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by VforVendettea

40,000 laws just last year? How many are there on the books total?

Millions probably.

It would probably take a century to read them all and I bet for a lot of them, you have to be a lawyer to understand.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by britelite1971

Replace "big macs" with "unmodified vegetables" then your post is a lot more accurate.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Firefly_

True! Good point!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Here's real jewel (leave it to Kalifornia):

A California law will add gays and lesbians and people with disabilities to the list of social and ethnic groups whose contributions must be taught in history lessons in public schools. The law also bans teaching materials that reflect poorly on gays or particular religions.

Let's lump gay people in with those with disabilities cuz' we all know they totally incapable, right? [sarcasm off]
WTH difference does sexual orientation or having a disability have to do with history? Either you did something important or you didn't. I guess maybe they'll have an Elton John music history class now?

The second part means that we can't teach about the subjugation of the Aztecs and Incas or the Inquisition (that would look bad on Catholics). Forget the Crusades, it would "reflect poorly" on both Muslims and Christians. Remove religion and suddenly there is hardly any history left! 2012 is going to be a fool's paradise in the US. I'm going to laugh while the country implodes from stupidity and political correctness.

So now the ultimate crime will be badmouthing a gay religious person on a cellphone while driving on an expired license - instant death penalty!

I never in my wildest dreams thought things would get this ridiculous. Our government must be on crack.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Asktheanimals
I'm going to laugh while the country implodes from stupidity and political correctness.

I'm starting to feel the same way.

After everything that has been going on in this country, and peoples complete apathy to it, I hope we are enslaved to a point that Satan would be pleased. It would be worth it just to see everyone that ever said "I don't care" to me writhing in agony.

When everything finally implodes, I will feel nothing less than pure glee.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
I don't see a problem with most of these laws.

Eight states will raise the minimum wage...San Francisco will become the first city to raise its minimum wage above $10 per hour.

What are you so upset about? Raising the minimum wage? Oh my God...you're right, we shouldn't be doing that. We should be lowering it...we're killing small business'.

Alabama...will require all employers who do business with any government entity to use a federal system known as E-Verify to check that all new employees are in the country legally.
Georgia is putting a similar law into effect requiring any business with 500 or more employees to use E-Verify to check the employment eligibility of new hires.
Tennessee will also require businesses to ensure employees are legally authorized to work in the U.S.
A South Carolina law would allow officials to yank the operating licenses of businesses that don't check new hires' legal status through E-verify.

Verifying the immigration status of employees? I thought you guys loved 'merica! Gotta get those illegals out, right? Using all of our medicaid and food stamps. This will be good for small business too...somehow.

In Colorado, coaches will be required to bench players as young as 11 when they're believed to have suffered a head injury. The young athletes will also need medical clearance to return to play.
The law also requires coaches in public and private schools and even volunteer Little League and Pop Warner football coaches to take free annual online training to recognize the symptoms of a concussion. At least a dozen other states have enacted similar laws with the support of the National Football League.

Oh yes...we should allow our preteens to not only receive concussions but play through them! The pansi-fication of America...what would John Wayne say?!

Florida will take control of lunch and other school food programs from the federal government...

But...but...states' rights! Or something...

Boy oh boy, you were right...I can't believe the government overreach about to hit us! This isn't the country I grew up in...though, I can't tell if it got worse or better.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by links234

You are correct..but..

It's the other 39,994 laws that are going to do us in!!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

King George is smiling in his grave.. oh those ignorant Americans thought they had it bad with a few tariffs, in one year they pass as any laws 40 times over that the entire British empire had.

I also get to look forward to minimum wage rising in my state (yay?) no .. it means a 2.3% cut in middle class spending power. It means there are now going to be even more people earning minimum wage.. I know a guy who's owned a company with 60 employees who has paid them $2 - 4 over minimum wage his companies entire existence. But with the economy being what it is, he cannot raise his prices higher than the costs of goods.. on top of that, minimum wage keeps increasing. The result is all but the managers make minimum wage now. We should just raise it to $1000 /hr and be done with it. Then we can all sit in the soup kitchens together.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
ORDER THROUGH CHAOS

everything is falling into place for the parasitic elites

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The process has continued from time immemorial.....
The rich get increasingly richer, and increasingly hostile about sharing...the more you have the more you want....
$0,000 more meaningless pieces of paper enshrined somewhere and worshipped by those who been made to kneel before them....
A free man is always free, even in death.
A live slave is still a slave even though he may wish he were dead.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
I just can't believe it! I didn't think there were so many paranoid people just looking for disasters!!
OMG they're raising minimum wage! This must be a plot to manipulate us and make us poorer!!!!

COME ON!!! Now I know that a lot of things point to elite manipulators, but that doesn't mean every change is bad. While I agree that the rich are getting richer (this really has nothing to do with opinion), that doesn't mean we should let these people who work for minimum wage die of hunger.

Keep in mind that the cost of living continuously goes up. This is not a good thing, but raising minimum wage so that they can keep feeding their families is a very good "plaster" for now.... at least there won't be even more people living in the street!! geez! get a life.. (sorry if that offends anyone).

I've never been one to support our capitalist system by any means... I actually think we need a new system... but that doesn't mean we should let people starve. Until we implement a new system, we still need solutions in the here and now.

It's almost as if you want things to go bad.... want disasters.... looking for conspiracy in every little thing. in case you didn't know there is a difference between being aware and being overly paranoid.

Talking on your cell phone is dangerous... hell driving is dangerous thus we should put all of our attention to the road! When one hand is busy, chances are you react slower and do not prevent that accident. The fines are to try and discourage people from doing something that is stupid in the first place..... and because even if it's dangerous people still do it.... and then they are "sorry" for causing an accident..... pathetic.

Today, we live in a world of ever changing technology.. and with new tech and advances, laws usually follow to keep up with the times. I'm not saying there is no conspiracy, just that things MUST change to suit our world. Maybe people should think a little more before crying wolf. Also keep in mind that many laws might seem dumb... but then you look at the actions of certain people and figure that the laws exists for them. You see, there are always those who exagerate, and everybody kind of pays for the stupidity of the few. It's sad, but it's a part of living in society... for it to function properly, we need to make certain concessions.

And I ask: why would you bitch at a cell phone while driving fine unless you perform such a stupid act? Now I don't think fines are the best way to go since we don't know where the money goes, but sometimes it's enough to deter most people from doing it.

Sometimes I read comments on this site and wonder if some (not most) people even think before posting a comment. Or maybe they are overly angry.... or just don't care about anyone (I wanna do what I wanna do and that's it).... which is a teenager way of thinking and has no place in the real world.

Just remember that nothing is perfect in this world, and as much as I like a good conspiracy, sometimes it's just bumbling, sometimes they really are mistakes..

For those of you who are getting ready to tell me that I'm doing TPTB's work in propaganda, I DO NOT agree with the way things are going... but I also try to refrain from using childish expressions like "he's evil"

I thought the slogan of this blog was "deny ignorance", not "bury yourself neck deep in ignorance".

Having said that I mean no offense to the OP or anyone. The people concerned know who they are... as a matter of fact I'm ready to bet that they will be posting angry replies

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FreeDominator

I just can't believe it! I didn't think there were so many paranoid people just looking for disasters!!
OMG they're raising minimum wage! This must be a plot to manipulate us and make us poorer!!!!

OMG that's only a handful of laws compared to the 40 000!

Keep in mind that the cost of living continuously goes up. This is not a good thing, but raising minimum wage so that they can keep feeding their families is a very good "plaster" for now.... at least there won't be even more people living in the street!!

You do know that rising minimum wage = more money in the system = more inflation right? So it might be good for all those who see their minimum wage raised, but for all the others who don't have jobs or their wage stays the same, they get screwed.

I've never been one to support our capitalist system by any means... I actually think we need a new system... but that doesn't mean we should let people starve.

Who said let people starve? There's food stamps and food banks and people giving money to poor people and churches... let's not mention the black market too.

Talking on your cell phone is dangerous... hell driving is dangerous thus we should put all of our attention to the road! When one hand is busy, chances are you react slower and do not prevent that accident. The fines are to try and discourage people from doing something that is stupid in the first place.....

What about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY? And not the government trying to force everyone to live the way they see fit?

Today, we live in a world of ever changing technology.. and with new tech and advances, laws usually follow to keep up with the times.

Ya and the few things that changed in 2011 needed 40 000 news laws? You kidding right?

You see, there are always those who exagerate, and everybody kind of pays for the stupidity of the few. It's sad, but it's a part of living in society... for it to function properly, we need to make certain concessions.

So there's no limits uh? Because we all know there's no limit to human stupidity. So if we follow your train of thought, the government can dictate every second of everyone's life otherwise someone might do something stupid at some point and it cannot be allowed.

Now I don't think fines are the best way to go since we don't know where the money goes

We know. It goes to the bankers and to fund the wars or corrupt the local politicians and cops.

but sometimes it's enough to deter most people from doing it.

Wrong. People will do whatever they want to do, regardless of laws or fines.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join