It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Motel Owner Fights Feds’ Attempt To Seize Property

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

i dont know what the criminal demographics are in the US , but hear [ the UK ] , bus stations , public conveniences and municipal parks all have strong assosiations with various criminality

should such properties be sieze also ????????????????

DOH - to add - central park NYC - has continuous criminal activity associations - should that be forfieted ?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

If the place is really worth 1.5 million with a small amount of criminls renting rooms, he should list the place for sale with a realtor asap, Make the profit and retire in another business that does not raise any eyebrows.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

Guns are for rich people? Not even close. You think a handgun less than $100 is what makes it cheap? Maybe cheap in the sense that it is complete junk. A cheap (cost-wise) handgun is less than $400. Here are some GOOD hand guns you can buy for less than $400.

Kel-tec Pf9, Kel-tec P3AT, Taurus 24/7, Smith and Wesson Sigma, Glock 17, and dozens more.

For long guns there are literally hundreds you can buy for less than $300. The place I bought my Taurus 24/7 (for $325) is also selling Mosin Nagants for $119. Go to Walmart and look at their rifles and shotguns... almost all of them are under $300 with a couple under $200.

As for ammo, it CAN get pricey if you want to shoot a lot. A box of 50 high quality Gold Dot hollow points cost me $30. You can get .40 cal handgun ammo at Walmart for around $25 for 100 rounds.

I am not even close to rich and I own a gun. I'd say the majority of gun owners are lower-middle class.

You wouldn't say cars are for rich people because they cost more than $100, would you?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by Amaterasu

Whatever became of Our right to be safe from unreasonable seizure...?

That disappeared long ago with the war on drugs.

Well, indeed. But call it what it REALLY is... The War on (some People who use some) Drugs. [grin]

Can't war against inanimate objects, n'est pas?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
I'd like to see the public wage a war on such public leaders that think they can solve their problems by seizure.

Drugs are a problem for us as a whole...you can't solve it by these means. It's absurd!

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Too bad there int an easy hard to detect way contaminate the land then let the police have it. Then they try to resell it and it comes up unsalable THEY have to pay for the clean up.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by korathin
reply to post by Maluhia

Didn't you read? Over 40% of police stations require revenue from civil asset seizure to finance their operations. Meaning Police departments use these illegal seizures of property to fund themselves without having to go to the taxpayers. There-by eliminating civil oversight of their activities.

I would say that 40% is giving the police credit. Police will seize everything you have and sell or keep whatever they want. Listen to Alex Jones and this corrupt government selling drugs and sending guns down to Mexico. Cops/Military/Government do whatever they want when they want. They take whatever they want and get away with it. How do police and military loose their brains when they put on the uniforms to come and not up hold the oath they take when they are hired. They are suppose to up hold laws and protect the rights of the constitution but yet now days they are the first people to break the laws. How does this even fly in this country?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

dam crooked cops..

dam crooked congress..

dam fake fed...

what the hell is left of America?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

high point 9mm i got one with 2 mags for 90 bucks at a pawn shop not the fancyest or best gun but its heavy enough if i run out of ammo i can beat some one pretty good with it im not too good with it but my girl friend was 5 for 5 having never shot a hand gun before today so they get the job done....and life time warenty for any owner which is pretty chill but glocks they are not

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Why do that when it's so much easier to go after the little guy?

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by reeferman

what the hell is left of America?

Not much. Sad Sad Sad - and only a few hundred years ago we showed so much promise.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
when i was young and dumb i was busted by the dea and did some time.
they went after my montana property but luckily couldn't tie it into my crime.
it is a normal precedure. 2 things they do, first being offer you a plea bargan, next being threaten to take all your valuables if you do not cop a plea.
this has been going on since the beginning of the drug war.
lets never forget, possesion in not neccessary, there's something called aiding and abetting written into the possession laws.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by KilrathiLG
reply to post by Ookie

high point 9mm i got one with 2 mags for 90 bucks at a pawn shop not the fancyest or best gun but its heavy enough if i run out of ammo i can beat some one pretty good with it im not too good with it but my girl friend was 5 for 5 having never shot a hand gun before today so they get the job done....and life time warenty for any owner which is pretty chill but glocks they are not

I owned several Hi-Points for years as plinking guns.

They are actually more abuse-resistant than a Glock in the capabilities... just not in the field. A Glock will fire if it's covered in mud... a Hi-Point will fire a 147gr hand-made bullet with 3x the powder charge with-out a hiccup. Quite frankly the higher the charge, the better the gun runs, as it is a blow-back design.

On the other hand if you drop it in the mud, you get one shot... then you better start swinging with it.

Different bonuses for different situations. Keep it clean and a Hi-Point will last you forever.

Still prefer my SA XDm .45

But to get back on topic... the day is coming where American citizens no longer let the abuses of the Police slide anymore. Weirdly enough, it's always the peoples' right to vote to close down a police department or to have a personnel over-haul.

I say get rid of the municipal departments, keep the Sheriffs, give every citizen a hand-gun and the idiots will kill themselves off fast enough anyways.

It always worked before...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Innocent guy getting his land seize by the Federal Government? Nothing new there.

He should close it down. Then in court the Fed's wouldn't be able to try their feable argument "drug dealers stay there".

Help Obama cut more jobs in America. Either that or some cancer rittled drug addict should help the poor guy out and burn his business down so the guy can collect his insurance money and run.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maluhia
reply to post by crankyoldman

That's the scary thing about civil asset forfeiture - the lines are blurry to say the least.

Only three states demand that the government show "beyond a reasonable doubt" that the property was part of a criminal act.

This in practice is meaningless. The government has unlimited money to spend taking something - in their system, where a regular person has nothing to fight with (especially if they seize the liquid assets) and will die in the process. The above limitation is simply a fig leaf. A recent case I saw had a private company, who desired another's private property, go to the city and ask them to seize it via imminent domain - the city complied and the owner was eventually forced to sell as he could not afford to fight.

Fact is, all property is owned by the crown, we are only allowed to lease it. When these folks take something, it is simply taking away the right to lease.

Most states, 27, use a lower "preponderance of the evidence" standard - basically, the government must show it is more likely than not that the property was related to criminal conduct. This is also the standard in federal law.

This link explains it best -
www.eauclairejournal.com/news/story.phtml/129F1E43/constitution/the_american_nightmare_that_is_civil_asset_forfeiture/

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
It is my belief that the Asset Forfeiture laws were behind the horrible shooting (assassination?) of Federal (Arizona District) judge John Roll. He was due to submit a brief overturning asset forfeiture laws if I recall correctly. It would have been applicable to at least the Ninth Circuit. Of course, the Trash-That-Be would have appealed it. anyway, just throwing that out. Go do some searching on it for more detail. I don't doubt there is something out there on the internet related to that possibility. I do not believe in any way that Gifford was the target. Judge Rolls could have put an end to the multi-billion dollar Asset Forfeiture trough. Of course, seems to happen to anyone who gets in the way of the 'money interests'. Sadly, they end up on a half dollar, or have a new fed courthouse named after them (as is the case for Roll). Sickening, disheartening...and just plain ole Sad.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

The NWO loathes private property rights.....loathes.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I posted in a ron paul thread that there is a fallacy that states would discriminate against gays or blacks but feds wouldn't, well they just discriminate against middle class business owners. I mean what kind of capitalist system do we have when you can't even operate a business?

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by orcldba1

Interesting information -- I didn't know that about the judge. thanks. Off to google it.

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So the property owner gets punished because the police can't do their jobs?

And the the PD gets rewarded for not doing their job?
WTF?

Originally posted by jude11
Police Departments are in need of cash so under the law, anything "connected" to crime is fair game to seize and sell. Even if they have to fabricate such claims. We can't win in their eyes.

Right on.
LEO see us as a lesser class of people. seriously. I worked for a company that sold equipment to LEO departments and offices. I lectyred and trained hundreds of officers from hundreds of department.

Seeing an approved culture of discrimination, violence and accepted criminal activity, I quit a six-figure job and left the industry forever.

I am getting to be that guy that looks at police on the street and sees nothing but a criminal in a freshly pressed uniform with a badge to stand behind and a gun to make them feel bullet proof.

Well, take off those guns and badges and meet us on neutral ground to see if we understand our rights or not.

Keep the guns and come get some.
Might discover you aren't as well armed, or well trained as you thought.

I say fight...and fight hard. It's his property and no one has the right to take it if he didn't commit a crime. It's the same if a drug dealer sits on your lawn, sells a joint and you get your property seized because of that act.

IMO, all Americans should stand behind this man because if he can lose his lone fight, the entire Nation lose their rights to everything.
BS

edit on 31-12-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

He is ultimately protected by the constitution. We get to see how strong that piece of paper is today.
edit on 1/1/1212 by BadNinja68 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join