It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crazy Idea about Jupiter

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Ok I know this sounds a little out there but Jupiter is mostly made from hydrogen and helium, and those can be used as fuel, so maybe one day we can syphon the gas from the planet and use it for fuel, either here on earth or on moon bases etc.
Possible? not yet but could it happen?

Think of it as a giant off shore oil platform in space drilling for gas.

It came to me in a dream and I thought wow good Idea.

edit on 30-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Unless we can build something which can extract the gas properly, and something which is big enough to be worth the journey, then sure. I don't think it would ever be efficient though, unless we somehow made a pipe from here to Jupiter to extract it, although I doubt there's enough resources on this planet to do such a thing. Haha.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ShedAlert

Yeah I know but maybe a few thousand years in the future, when we have got our act together.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Soon as we can get deep space travel on lock with safety and productivity as key.

You bet your monkey bum , that we will exploit the %$% out of the solar system.

We've raped earth pretty good , its only a matter of time before we go to other planets and even stars , to suck out what we can .

We will be known as space cancer to other civlizations . lol . Were worse then black holes

Only thing stopping us right now is the tech , to get there and back , store the energy and do it safely. Were still playing around in low earth orbit lol.

Micro meteors is still a major problem for us lol

But eventually we will get the tech , and consume consume consume , you know the one thing we are good at ! like cancer cells

p.s i hate your avatar lol . That monkey should not be in battle! he should be on watch :lol

Oh we tried one method

"The idea was to let the shuttle drag the tether across the Earth's magnetic field, producing one part of a dynamo circuit. The return current, from the shuttle to the payload, would flow in the Earth's ionosphere, which also conducted electricity, even though not as well as the wire."

www-istp.gsfc.nasa.gov...
edit on 30-12-2011 by yourboycal2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
That would probably cost as much fuel as it could collect, until they have a more fuel efficient way of deep space travel it won't be possible, it is a good idea though. Also there would be problems dealing with the immense gravity, and trying to return wouldn't be an easy manoeuvre.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

It's a nice idea...

But i think that when technology will permit us to operate theses kinds of actions, is that the same technology will overpass the needs for extracting some fuel sor far away.

I mean going to Jupiter to extract "gaz" will imply our crafts will be more advance in terms of energy needed, and so the need for this potential fuel.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

I think you should look into electogravitics. We've had a device to basically create free energy since the 30's. But its been kept underwraps. Free energy means, no more need for money, which means people can take care of themselves, which means no one man would have power over everybody else.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I can vaguely remember a sci-fi novel, many years ago, most probably by Arthur C. Clarke, in which he had a starship diving through Jupiter's atmosphere to scoop up hydrogen for its fusion engines.

And then there was all those talk of Bussard ramjet, in which the rocket would have this huge magnetic field to scoop up interplanetary hydrogen for its fusion engines

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

So Jupiter could be a giant gas station lol. I find it more interesting that between the the dense surface and upper atmosphere the temperature ranges from extreemely hot to cool, leaving a suspended layer of the atmosphere at room temperature. Probably the only place that has habitable temperature that far away from the sun in our solar system.
edit on 30-12-2011 by juveous because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Ever heard of James Lloyd? I used to hear him on shortwave radio. He has this theory that the satellite we sent to Saturn may some day be used to ignite that planet.

In this 2 minute 14 second clip from February 15, 2005, James Lloyd intimates that (all laws of nuclear physics aside) the planet Saturn will be "ignited" and become a "new sun". "We're going to tell you more when we come back" so break out your tinfoil hats and stay tuned for more! Not mind control?

Audio

Download audio file

Lloyd basher site

James Lloyd official site here

edit on 30-12-2011 by kawika because: To be fair and balanced, added link to James Lloyd site

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Let's just destroy the biggest planet in the solar system...yeah that'll have no ill effects.
Sorry, but it's a terrible idea. Once we start extracting gas from Jupiter, we'll keep doing it until the planet is gone.
I won't let you destroy Jupiter!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

OT but its my own thread and I have to teach you who my avatar is,
He fights for good protecting the boy monk who is taking buddhist scripture's to India, a really old folk tale.
Was made into a TV show in the 70's called Monkey Magic.

www.youtube.com...

The nature of Monkey is irrepressible!!

My avatar is from a remake.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Hello read my post. Why do we need fuel such as hydrogen, and helium when we can create free energy????

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
One day, once we sort ourselves out and manage to travel such a distence with ease. I wish it was in my life time, I would just love to travel space

P.s your avatar is freaky.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

I agree, if we can create free energy we don't need such a thing.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well you have a few obvious hurdles. 400 million miles away. Upper atmosphere is very sparse. Extreme gravity and pressure will require extreme energy to leave being swallowed up, crushed, and burnt up. Jupiter spins 2.5 times faster than earth, 1,300 times bigger, 300 mph winds, lighting 100 times what we have, and storms twice the size of earth. Need a collection and storage means.

Galileo's atmospheric entry probe entered the Jovian atmosphere at 47 km/sec, thats 105,000 mph. It dropped 150 km in 58 minutes when the atmospheric pressure reached 23 times earth at sea level, and was over 300 ºF, before it was crushed. The probe had to withstand 230 g upon atmospheric entry.

Cool site, Mission JUNO.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

We are also trying to concieve doing such a thing with the technology we have today. In a thousand years we might be able to just move jupiter into whatever orbit we wanted it to be in, and we could extract whatever we want from it with ease, using the planet as a mobile storage device. At the same time we would be able to find planets like jupiter throughout the universe, and they might serve as a type of gas station more or less. But we don't know if at that time we would even have any use for energy derived from a fuel such as hydrogen and helium.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by yourboycal2

OT but its my own thread and I have to teach you who my avatar is,
He fights for good protecting the boy monk who is taking buddhist scripture's to India, a really old folk tale.
Was made into a TV show in the 70's called Monkey Magic.

www.youtube.com...

The nature of Monkey is irrepressible!!

My avatar is from a remake.

My monkey beats your monkey !!

now....put your monkey boy away!!!

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
it does make one wonder why goverments around the world arent racing to get into space, what with all the resources available to us out there but instead we decide to fight over what we have here, makes no sense at all. We should all work together to advance ourselves to a place where we wouldn't need to fight over resources as they'll be all around us, different planets, asteroids and more

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

Jupiter is over 99% of the mass of all the planets, if you can tow that to wherever you want I don't believe you need it's gas. Think!

Why not go after brown dwarf stars, the mass is more concentrated there, the effort would be more efficient.
edit on 30-12-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join