It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy App's! (Android/iPhone list + article)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Being more knowledgeable on things more than others, doesn't mean you have to act like an ass.

It's embarrassing.
edit on 31-12-2011 by Violence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

When i was a kid, I used those little cardboard callender sky map things, they worked by rotating the wheel in the center in correspondence with the date.

I love my iphone for the space apps, it's great knowing exactly what your looking at in th night sky.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dadfortruth1

Correct me if I am wrong , but I think you are talking about a planisphere

That's my favoret star finder tool too !

Call me crazzy , but there is something very sextant and sundialish about the old mechanical way of finding out what's up

edit on 31-12-2011 by Max_TO because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I know most of my constellations, but since I moved to a larger city here in NC, the lights kinda kill the night sky i love to look at and dream about other civilizations out there, the apps I got bring it a little closer

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Violence

No need to be embarrassed. It's not your problem.

But really, it's worth the effort to learn the sky. Pick a constellation while you're indoors then turn off your phone and go see if you can find it. Consider it a challenge. Learning one a night is easy and it beats Angry Birds all to hell.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You having a bad day Phage? Such an accomplishment to be a big man on the forums

I have no problems with doing that when I have time
ill give it a shot over the next few nights.

And I don't play games on my phone

edit on 31-12-2011 by Violence because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
]reply to post by Violence

Thanks for the info.

Sometimes I wake up grumpy.

Sometimes I just let Phage sleep...

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

How right you are .

To look up and to be able to reconize a constellation is a great feeling indeed !

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Max_TO

yeah thats it. I had to "google image" it, as it's been so long since i used one

I guess it's the same as photography, I 'm teaching my kids on an analogue camera before they use a digital.
somtimes technology makes things too easy and you dont actually learn anything.

I dont mean anything negative to the op. The sky aps for phones are amazing, I love knowing what satilite im watching cross the sky.
I use "Sky view" and the "SOHO" app is also good.

posted on Dec, 31 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
The programs that I find most interesting are the ones where you can rewind time and view the night sky from different times from the past and from different locations on earth .

Not sure if the app stores have such an app yet ?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
remembering constelations is quite easy and fun but to have an app there to confirm something your not sure about is great, much better than just thinking about it and maybe looking it up later.
to learn all i know about asronomy i actually went to a library and got a book when i was about 13. learning about whats in our sky really doesnt take much time. anyhoo thanks for the list, i guess it's time to play on the phone

top topics

<< 1   >>

join