It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Broken spacebar on laptop -- any workaround?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I have a laptop with a broken spacebar -- can't afford to pay to fix it right now. Any tricks I can use to simulate it?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Copy & paste a 'space' every time you type summat out?

It'll quickly become tedious, having to paste a space after every word..But I don't see any other choices..

Unless someone else knows of a way to workaround it.
edit on 27-12-2011 by SmoKeyHaZe because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mishigas

Broken How? Stuck?, completely sunk in? Try removing the spacebar and see what exactly is the problem...a paper clip will flip that sucker off and you can then do some "gerry rigging"...I've done it...so can you.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
probably _just_use_the_"_"_button. though_trying_to_fix_your_keyboard_would_seem_less_annoying_than_typing_this.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Yeah, yeah; same here. Just got used to pressing the space bar a thousand times.

You spilled something on it, didn't you? Take off all your keys and clean them with an alcohol based wipe and then use that weird keyboard cleaning spray. Should mostly do the trick.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Take the space bar out and press the button under the bar? Not all laptops have buttons under the keys though. Its a real cheap fix and you can do it your self. Most manufactures sell laptop replacement keyboards for around $10. All you have to do is unscrew some screws detach a ribbon cable. Its very easy even for some one that does not know any thing about tech
edit on 27-12-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   

commas,,,just,,use,,double-spaced,,commas......

or
hit
enter,
after
every
word...

edit on 12/27/11 by darrman because: add a thingy

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SmoKeyHaZe

Lmao I actually did this with my older keyboard. I got use to that typing style where I could almost type as fast as I would with a space-bar so it's not really a bad idea, it just may take a bit of time to get adjusted.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
An easy short-term fix is to use a keyboard remapping program to assign the job of the space bar to a key you rarely use. There are a number available free of charge. This page gives you an idea of a couple; www.makeuseof.com...

edit on 27-12-2011 by Motorhead because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Too simple.
Hold the ALT key while typing 32 on the num pad then release the ALT key. Presto you got your space..

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
If using windows there is a on screen keyboard.

Please click on "Start" (Windows-Logo) then, execute "osk.exe" and Press [ENTE

OR:
Open On-Screen Keyboard by clicking the "Start" button , clicking "All Programs", clicking "Accessories", clicking "Ease of Access", and then clicking "On-Screen Keyboard"
edit on 27-12-2011 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Just get a usb keyboard and plug it into
any usb port on the laptop.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by RavenSpeaks

Just get a usb keyboard and plug it into
any usb port on the laptop.

Exactly what I was going to say! And you can get those cheap roll up rubber jobs for about $10 so it's an easy fix.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
I spilled some wine in mine, had to buy an external keyboard since I have no clue how to fix laptops. I tried fixing my old Acer, which was a piece of junk, but ended up not knowing how to put it back together.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

noworkaroundthatimawareof

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by proob4
If using windows there is a on screen keyboard.

Please click on "Start" (Windows-Logo) then, execute "osk.exe" and Press [ENTE

OR:
Open On-Screen Keyboard by clicking the "Start" button , clicking "All Programs", clicking "Accessories", clicking "Ease of Access", and then clicking "On-Screen Keyboard"
edit on 27-12-2011 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

Cheap and often so overlooked fixes!!
I even forget how much software windows is really comprised of sometimes.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I have two busted laptops (motherboard fried on both (made a note to self not to buy a compaq or hp lol)) that were left here with me, if it matches I will send one out to you for free as long as you pay the postage. they are compaq Presario CQ60 and the other is an HP forgot the model but the keyboards are the same.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by yizzel

Too simple.
Hold the ALT key while typing 32 on the num pad then release the ALT key. Presto you got your space..

It's 20 if hex, right? I knew about the codes, but I can't get them to work! Grr...

Ton's of good ideas here, folks. Thanks!
edit on 28-12-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
It's 20 if hex, right? I knew about the codes, but I can't get them to work! Grr

Yep that's right. It most probably didn't work for you because the ALT+NUMPAD ASCII key combos only works if your computer has a numeric pad.

Another alternative is to remap the keyboard, like assigning the space char to a function key. You can do this by modifying the registry, just google for instructions or download a keyboard remapping tool.

edit on 28-12-2011 by yizzel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Plug in an external keyboard

top topics

<<   2 >>

join