It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Mosquitoes to be Released in the US for the First Time

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by stirling
Relax [people its already been done to spread germ warfare.....
In florida i believe......
Though i forget what they spread with the release off the bugs....scarlet fever or dengue or ???
I think it was over miami or someplace that has a fair size immaigrant population.....
They used them in the canary islands too.....

Is there anyway you can provide some links to these claims? I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance. ^__^

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaworu

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Jeez you people are dramatic. I mean yes there is the potential for things to go wrong but there is an equal potential for things to go great. There is a huge benefit to these modified mosquitoes if this is successful. The biggest being that the need to spray pesticides and poisons for them would diminish. Those substances are very harmful to wildlife. And giant mutant mosquitoes.....thats impossible.

So how would you feel if they picked the test area to be some where near you? Like within 15-25 miles in a heavily super mosquito environment. Would you still consider are reactions to be "dramatic?"

I would actually be quite delighted. For me, it would be a chance to observe a scientific experiment in the real world. Clearly, they have not altered any genes that would give the mosquito any type of special advantage in nature. So nope I would not care.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Please release a truck load of GM blood suckers in Louisiana.(oh i hope that their bite doesn't create zombies) We have bats,dragonflies,mosquito hawks &frogs........still 2 many dam# mosquitos. Let's not be so negative, we need help to control populations of the flying diseased carriers in the swampland of the Gulf coast. Each summer our hospitals hold victims of encephalitis. Once infected the poor souls have to stay in the hospital which may take months to achieve full recovery. Gm may not hold good nutritional value, but killing pests seems a perfect practical application. I hope this is a successful project.....thanks for the post.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
This will only lead to trouble.

If you did not make the mosquitos, please do not modify them - they have a trademark - the Creator.

A message to anyone who is interfering with the work of the Creator - this will lead to untold problems.

You are not authorised to do this.

That is my message - sorry, had to send it.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
"Of course the risks these mosquitoes pose both on the environment, as well as the health of all living creatures are highly unknown, leaving everyone with many more questions than answers."

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Well I remember watching a show on the history channel about secret weird weapons of...world war 2 I think it was and the government did do a test of dumping mosquitos over a state, although I don't believe it was Florida, but Georgia, and all it really showed was that mosquitos were annoying, they didn't actually go through with putting diseases on them, but it was a test at biological warfare.

I feel this is wrong, as it's just not right to mess with their DNA, what they should put the money into is natural things to keep them away, other than predators like Dragon Flies and frogs, I'm not sure what else to use on mosquitos, but I know with flies you could use venus fly traps, there's certain plants that help repel ants and special, easy to make home made traps for bees. So I would think there should be something out there people could invest in that would at least keep mosquitos around the house to a minimum. We do have machines up here that release a trail similar to human breathe that attracts mosquitos and traps them and from some people I know that have used them, after a year or 2 use of the machine they end up not having any mosquitos or very few in their yard. Things like these is what they should be looking at, not DNA modifications that could mutate into something worse or cause other species to die off because of not enough food.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
So what happens when one of these things dine off of human blood?

This is how the zombie apocalypse will start.

This is how the plague will be spread.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Yep, that's why they got the Zombie manual ready.

I think their preparing for the Zombie take over.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
vaccineliberationarmy.com...

"TESTING BRUCELLOSES VIA MOSQUITO VECTOR IN PUNTA GORDA 
A report from The New England Journal of Medicine, August 22, 1957, p.362 reveals that one of the first outbreaks of chronic fatigue syndrome was in Punta Gorda, Florida, back in 1957. It was a strange coincidence that a week before these people came down with chronic fatigue syndrome, there was a huge influx of mosquitoes. The National Institutes of Health claimed that the mosquitoes came from a forest fire 30 miles away. When the forest fire broke out, the mosquitoes all said, "Well, let's go over to Punta Gorda - there will be a bunch of people over there, we can have a picnic, and then we will go home". The truth is that those mosquitoes were infected in Canada by Dr. J.B. Reed at Queen's University. They were bred in Belleville, Ontario, and taken down and released in Punta Gorda. Within a week, the first five cases ever of chronic fatigue syndrome were reported to the local clinic in Punta Gorda, and it continued until finally 450 people were ill with the disease.

TESTING BRUCELLOSIS VIA MOSQUITO VECTOR IN ONTARIO 

The government of Canada established the Dominion Parasite Laboratory in Belleville, Ontario, and raised 100 million mosquitoes a month which were shipped to Queen's University and certain other facilities to be infected with this disease agent. The mosquitoes were then let loose in certain communities in the middle of the night so they could determine how many people would become ill with chronic fatigue syndrome, or fibromyalgia, which was the first disease to show. One of the communities they tested it on was the St. Lawrence Seaway valley all the way from Kingston to Cornwall in 1984. They let out absolutely hundreds of millions of infected mosquitoes. Over 700 people in the next four or five weeks developed myalgic encephalomyelitis, or chronic fatigue syndrome.""
I remember reading this story, couldn't believe they would do this to us. Could this new wave of gmo happen due to the success of this experiment?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   
YES it will be detrimental to the environment!

These people are freaking idiots.

don't mess with nature.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaworu

Jeez you people are dramatic. I mean yes there is the potential for things to go wrong but there is an equal potential for things to go great. There is a huge benefit to these modified mosquitoes if this is successful. The biggest being that the need to spray pesticides and poisons for them would diminish. Those substances are very harmful to wildlife. And giant mutant mosquitoes.....thats impossible.

So how would you feel if they picked the test area to be some where near you? Like within 15-25 miles in a heavily super mosquito environment. Would you still consider are reactions to be "dramatic?"

I would actually be quite delighted. For me, it would be a chance to observe a scientific experiment in the real world. Clearly, they have not altered any genes that would give the mosquito any type of special advantage in nature. So nope I would not care.

Oh my...

This is not so much of a "scientific experiment" as it is ethical idiocy.

You don't do things like this unless you are sure that there is no chance of a detriment.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
something similar has happened before

true story:

last may by band was on tour and we went through florida in the middle of spring/aspiring summer. we went through an area that had a HUGE mosquito problem, and just driving through produced a thick layer of mosquito carcasses all over our windshield, license plate, and the back of our side mirrors.

this was the most mosquitoes i've ever seen in my life, and we were just barreling through them in our big green van..

eventually when we stayed at a friend's house we asked them what they were all about, he said that in the 70s? the university of florida tried to make a genetically engineered mosquito that was designed to "eat' other mosquitoes in order to quell the population. turns out, the new mosquitoes didn't really end up eating old mosquitoes at all...and the new mosquitoes just reproduced ALL the time.

once we heard this we noticed that almost all the mosquitoes we saw down there were "attached" at the butt, just screwing their lives away before they were smashed by a windshield.

tens of thousands, ill try to find a picture of our van after we drove through this zone of horror. we also heard that the locals learned to spread crisco all over their front bumper so that the bugs slide right off, hah.

also, I was born in Orlando in 1987, and I had scarlet fever as a baby, I wonder if these are linked?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
reply to post by ugie1028

Almost sounds like one of the Revelation Prophecies in The Bible..

Exactly what i was thinking when i read the first line, don't know why our species is in such a hurry to destroy ourselves.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028

They have had success in introducing them into an environment but I still think its a bad idea.
edit on 12/27/2011 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

Did the killer bee fiasco not teach anyone a lesson?
Who gave Monsanto the permission to do this anyway?

We should envoke property rights to stop this nonsense.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Usually when threads concerning GM are started, they get trolled by self-proclaimed "experts" telling everyone how unfounded their fears are and how little they really understand of the subject and science at hand. I wonder where they all are today?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
what could posibly go wrong

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Jeez you people are dramatic. I mean yes there is the potential for things to go wrong but there is an equal potential for things to go great.

There is not an equal potential for things to go great when you mess with nature. More likely than not, it will lead to problems that were "unforseen".

Suprised nobody has brought this up yet:

Unfortunately, the issue of GM insects being released into the wild does not end with increasing Dengue fever and malaria. In 2009, The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation awarded $100,000 each to researchers in 22 countries in order to develop mosquitoes that would act as “flying syringes.” Essentially, the mosquitoes would be genetically engineered to deliver vaccines with each bite.

Viruses and the GM Insect “Flying Vaccine Solution”

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
why are they killing the males only? It isn't the male mosquito that bites???

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

I was thinking the same thing... but they didn't modify the bee, the modified plants which in turn harmed the bee's. (IMO)

This time they are directly modifying the mosquitoes... Its kind of scary that this experiment may be a go.

As someone said before... prepare for the zombie apocalypse.. if this gene mutates into the T-Virus. /sarcasm-off

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

If they release the males, they will mate with the females producing offspring that has the modified gene... and with the absence of the anti-biotic... their supposed lifetime is over before they reach adulthood.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join