It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Mosquitoes to be Released in the US for the First Time

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I do not think its to reduce their population. Their are allot of animals that eat them. I have seen articles talking about genetically modified mosquito that can produce simple vaccines. Maybe they are working on something more sinister.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by 8ILlBILl8
I do not think its to reduce their population. Their are allot of animals that eat them. I have seen articles talking about genetically modified mosquito that can produce simple vaccines. Maybe they are working on something more sinister.

Of course, this is how they "harmlessly" get us used to the idea of introducing GM animals into our
ecosystem. Then once we stop protesting, and see it as part of everyday life, plan two is to introduce vaccines to inject us with their crap without our permission. Keeping us sick for the rest of our lives.

Like the TSA. First, it was only for airports. Now, they are prepared to use them at bus stations, malls, etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
So far our scientists have shown to work more for the government owned corporations and military than the good of the people.

Can hardly wait to see what the real deal on this is.

I don't trust TPTB any further than I can spit and I can't spit far.

Maybe the culling has begun.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Originally posted by the_philth

Originally posted by sicksonezer0
(blah blah blah

hahaha So that was you writing all those scripts for the crazy sci fi movies about giant bugs and snakes invading human territories.

On a serious note, we may not know what is really being unleashed.

lol... no, that would be H.G. Wells' "Food of the Gods..."

I can't imagine the outcome of *this* particular manipulation - and I'm sure in their intent it's for the greater good - but then again, the *conspiracy part of my brain* (or is it the creative part?) can't help but to imagine the side effects if you will, the crazy disbalance this can cause. Or may not... I mean... who the hell am I to know!

All I know is - it's been happening for a couple of years now, and had there been backlash, we would have seen these giant blood-sucking butterflies by now (unless it takes a 'em couple years in metamorphosis...).

Again, the conspirist in me can't help but to think up some pretty darkly undertones!

Oh those crazy Shadow Government people up to their ol' tricks again!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Well, now we know what starts the zombie apocalypse...

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Mosquitos should be modified to disintergrate upon exposure to sunlight just like any other self respecting vampire would. There are plenty of other bugs for the birds to eat.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Whoever is making the final decision on this can't have good intentions. They know it will mess with just about everyone. Mosquitoes spread enough illness as it is and if a corporation is genetically modifying them, it sounds like a warfare tactic to me.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
I couldn't decide if this belonged in the 'fragile earth' forum or here... so mods move/remove. Thanks.
Linkage

To those of you who have been eager to hear the latest news concerning the potential release of genetically modified mosquitoes – here it is. It turns out that the genetically modified mosquitoes could be released into the U.S. environment as early as January of 2012. A private firm plans to initiate the release of the GE mosquitoes in the Florida Keys. Florida will be the first beta testing grounds to determine whether or not the mosquitoes lead to detrimental environmental and genetic impact. Residents in this area will also be subjected — without choice — to these genetically manipulated insects, unless the private firm decides to seek permission.

Well this is the first time I heard about this.... I didn't know they were experimenting with mosquito's to reduce their population. I see this as a double edged sword, yes it will have its benefits if its 100% successful, but on the other hand... messing with genetics of crops/animals (in this case insects) could lead to bad unexpected results. I dont know what dangers are to this experiment... but just imagine if this gene mutates and makes these critters resistant to pesticides or it mutates into something worse. I don't like this at all.

This just doesn't seem right. We should leave nature alone and not try to manipulate it for our own benefit.

Edit: Found something else.

NYTIMES Linkage

The study published on Sunday looked at how successfully the lab-reared, genetically modified insects could mate. About 19,000 engineered mosquitoes were released over four weeks in 2009 in a 25-acre area on Grand Cayman island. Based on data from traps, the genetically engineered males accounted for 16 percent of the overall male population in the test zone, and the lethal gene was found in almost 10 percent of larvae. Those figures suggest the genetically engineered males were about half as successful in mating as wild ones, a rate sufficient to suppress the population.

I found an article from the times. apparently they are only using males who soon die after they are released. But with enough time to mate before they die.

They have had success in introducing them into an environment but I still think its a bad idea.
edit on 12/27/2011 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

Isn't this how Skynet became sentient

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by tvtexan

With all the brown stuff going on in the world today, I honestly needed a good laugh and yes I hear everything grows bigger in Texas.

A star for your post - you made my day and gave me a good laugh.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
What could go wrong?

Saw a documentary on the History Channel.

Single most killer of all human history - Number 1, clearly out ranks wars, starvation, everything.............the lowly mosquito.

Now, heaven knows what these government scientists (and our government is owned by the 1% elite that own the large corporations) have DNA'd into these suckers..........you might end up having one knocking on your door next year asking for a blood donation.

Some how I have a bad feeling about this.
edit on 28-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Corporate Providence

Funny you summed it up better than me but what you said is the first thing that crossed my mind.

Right in your face, under your nose and a tiny little thing that nobody is going to suspect but everyone gets bit at least once.

Got to wonder how these suckers have been "modified".

Again, bad feeling on this one.

It's a war tactic that if that is what this is could take down a lot of people, just like the Georgia Guide Stones promised.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Wait, why are they doing this again?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by DanRead

You know... mosquitoes who spread diseases n stuff that has plagued humanity for a long time... need to have their population numbers reduced to stall/prevent diseases such as dengue fever and malaria from infecting the human populations. Its a catch 22... the good: Reduce the population which in turn reduces mosquito infections. the bad: modifying genes and then releasing them into an Environment is risky... due to the fact that the gene could mutate into something unexpected... either good or bad. we just don't know.

so their logic is... modify their genes to include a kill-switch that makes the bug vulnerable (presumably to bacteria) at a certain age which kills it before its an adult.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
is my dream - a world without mosquitoes - finally becoming true?

I have been wishing for this day since I was first introduced to this malevolent creature.

Death to all mosquitoes!! Decimate, obliterate, annihilate, evaporate them all.

edit on 28-12-2011 by dadgad because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
It's a way to take out all the vampires. Just start with the small ones first.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
bugs released, oh our slaves got sick oops!? ah! we have a vaccine for it. doh!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Every single insect on this planet is a part of the great food chain... the food chain that ultimately leads back to us.

Kill off the mosquitoes (or GM them) and you will kill us (or GM us).

Mosquitoes not only pollinate various plants, they also serve as food to a great number of fish, birds, bats, dragonflies, etc... which in turn serves as food to larger animals, which in turn fertilize other foliage as well as being food to other animals, and so on and so forth down the chain it goes.

Absolutely every biological thing on this planet ultimately ends up in our bodies in one way, shape, or form.

It never ceases to amaze me the ridiculous ignorance of the human hubris and their incessant need to "control" the very thing that sustains them.

What next ?

GM water ?
GM soil ?
Or how about some GM sunshine to go along with that ?

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Perhaps the mosquito was engineered to keep other creatures from destroying the whole world. Think about this, if humans were allowed to increase in population they would destroy the world within the next hundred years.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildmanimal
reply to post by ugie1028

If experiments such as these prove successful, the reduction in Malaria, West Nile,
and other dangerous diseases would be of Worldwide benefit to Humanity.

We seem to be obsessed with the idea that we can kill and eliminate other species to make our own existence easier, but we're all part of a finely balanced machine - it could well be argued that the species that does need culling is mankind itself.

Many regions already have overcrowding of Humans and food and water shortages, extending the lives of people there just adds to the problem.

Leave it all to mother nature instead of trying to "fix" her. She knows what she's doing.

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by CranialSponge
Every single insect on this planet is a part of the great food chain... the food chain that ultimately leads back to us.

Kill off the mosquitoes (or GM them) and you will kill us (or GM us).

Mosquitoes not only pollinate various plants, they also serve as food to a great number of fish, birds, bats, dragonflies, etc... which in turn serves as food to larger animals, which in turn fertilize other foliage as well as being food to other animals, and so on and so forth down the chain it goes.

Absolutely every biological thing on this planet ultimately ends up in our bodies in one way, shape, or form.

It never ceases to amaze me the ridiculous ignorance of the human hubris and their incessant need to "control" the very thing that sustains them.

What next ?

GM water ?
GM soil ?
Or how about some GM sunshine to go along with that ?

..but they are so annoying. They buzz around your head when you're trying to sleep. Their bites leave itchy marks behind. Just imagine, imagine a world without them. Outdoor camping during summer next to a lake would be fun again.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join