It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Mosquitoes to be Released in the US for the First Time

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I couldn't decide if this belonged in the 'fragile earth' forum or here... so mods move/remove. Thanks.
Linkage

To those of you who have been eager to hear the latest news concerning the potential release of genetically modified mosquitoes – here it is. It turns out that the genetically modified mosquitoes could be released into the U.S. environment as early as January of 2012. A private firm plans to initiate the release of the GE mosquitoes in the Florida Keys. Florida will be the first beta testing grounds to determine whether or not the mosquitoes lead to detrimental environmental and genetic impact. Residents in this area will also be subjected — without choice — to these genetically manipulated insects, unless the private firm decides to seek permission.

Well this is the first time I heard about this.... I didn't know they were experimenting with mosquito's to reduce their population. I see this as a double edged sword, yes it will have its benefits if its 100% successful, but on the other hand... messing with genetics of crops/animals (in this case insects) could lead to bad unexpected results. I dont know what dangers are to this experiment... but just imagine if this gene mutates and makes these critters resistant to pesticides or it mutates into something worse. I don't like this at all.

This just doesn't seem right. We should leave nature alone and not try to manipulate it for our own benefit.

Edit: Found something else.

NYTIMES Linkage

The study published on Sunday looked at how successfully the lab-reared, genetically modified insects could mate. About 19,000 engineered mosquitoes were released over four weeks in 2009 in a 25-acre area on Grand Cayman island. Based on data from traps, the genetically engineered males accounted for 16 percent of the overall male population in the test zone, and the lethal gene was found in almost 10 percent of larvae. Those figures suggest the genetically engineered males were about half as successful in mating as wild ones, a rate sufficient to suppress the population.

I found an article from the times. apparently they are only using males who soon die after they are released. But with enough time to mate before they die.

They have had success in introducing them into an environment but I still think its a bad idea.
edit on 12/27/2011 by ugie1028 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by ugie1028

Almost sounds like one of the Revelation Prophecies in The Bible. I can't believe the timingand the onslaught of things in these recent months. s/f op and thank you for the post.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
This is a very bad idea..... were messing with the balance of nature here....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Impact it could have cant be predicted. Only thing what Monsanto wants is to spread as many GM as possible to create new problems and claim copyrights.

GM changes bio-diversity in such ways it is impossible to detect real source of problems for their actions. So we can see all sorts of GM influence, but we cant link it or connect to GM.

Examine for a second butterfly effect. Now you put GM copyrighted mosquitoes in the game.

What Monsanto damages, no one cant repair, that is main problem: GM pollution.
They create lots of waste, but this waste is not inert, it is on DNA level and it can grow and develop in any, unimaginable way to modern science.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by CherubBaby

Which part does this remind you of?

Also, I laugh when they think they can 'beta test' something like this. Introducing a gene into an environment is easy, but if it goes wrong you can't issue a recall and have the genemodded mosquitoes fly in and line up for destruction
edit on 27-12-2011 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Let me be the first to say that I think genetically modified mosquitos SUCK!

I live in Texas, and all that means is that our genetically modified moquitos will be much larger than anyone elses'.

In Texas our mosquitos are so big......
How big are they?
Ever see them Twilight movies?
Well... they are bigger than the stupid teenagers who pay to watch those movies!

edit on 27-12-2011 by tvtexan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
I think as we all play God like this, the real one is going to get a bit offended. What could possible go wrong? I mean really?? Lets take an insect that is known and quite happy to feast on anything above room temperature with blood it can reach...and it loves humans. Lets tinker with it's genetics and then lets turn countless of them loose so they can mix and match viruses in the wild with their new genetics.

Give it dozens or hundreds of generations (they turn over REAL REAL quick in that way) and we'll all get a surprise with what nature produces. Oh goody. I can hardly wait.

This whole idea deserves to go so far into the "Just because we can do it, doesn't mean we SHOULD do it" file that it's never seen or heard of again. Yikes....

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Wonder if this will turn out like another MIMIC.

Or better yet, will be calling the FRINGE division after if it bites someone.

Then the mutants will be called ALIENS.

If the mutants grow wings everyone will taking pictures claiming UFOS, CHINESE LANTERNS, or LENS FLARE, RC PLANE. BLAH, BLAH, BLAH

I can just see what road this is heading down.

edit on 27-12-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Obviously TPTB feel that they aren't reducing the population fast enough!

Can't see this 'beta' testing doing well at all

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

I can just see what road this is heading down.

Fear not, it is a one-way road with a dead end, and no outlet.

You can go there, but never leave.... alive.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Fractured.Facade

Least it would be peaceful.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
maybe it's time to stack boxes of 'deep woods off' next to my crates of ammo.
what does it really matter anyhow, something like 80% of our food contains gmo products.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by ferumbra

Nice rant.

Shame this has nothing to do with Monsato.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

I, for one, would like to welcome our new genetically modified mosquito overlords.

What could happen?
SMH

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

This will cause major impact on the ecosystem as species that feed on the mosquitoes could also die as the result of the modified mosquitoes impacting the food chain to the top we should never forget that every living thing is part of the food chain in nature.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

yeah man.
here's a list

www.mosquito-netting.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

According to your Link article, the mosquitos contain a terminal gene. If these GM mosquitoes cross
breed with indigenous mosquitoes, the next generation(or at least a percentage of them,) will carry this
terminal gene as well. Scientifically, this may prove to be an excellent way of reducing the populations
of these disease carriers. With the massive reduction in Bat populations due to White Nose Fungus,
this could prove helpful. Of course the Frogs may not agree. It would be wonderful to experiment with
these same methods on Ticks as well. It is interesting that Tetracycline is the "Cure" in this experiment.
As Tetracycline is an antibiotic. I wonder if the modified gene results in a bacterial infection?
I myself am wary of GM due to detrimental results in past experiments. The Rice and Corn issues have
been very troublesome. However, I like to remain open to the idea of an experiment such as this resulting
in a positive outcome. If experiments such as these prove successful, the reduction in Malaria, West Nile,
and other dangerous diseases would be of Worldwide benefit to Humanity. That is unless your are of the
Eugenics School.

Great Thread S&F

P.S. It should be noted that there are many subspecies of Mosquito. Not all interbreed. If these scientists
are worth their salt, they would have taken this into consideration and therefore create a Hybrid that is
isolated to a small section of the mosquito population for this experiment. This precaution would not only
result in more accurate data, but it would also reduce the risk of ecological disaster.
That is , if they are not mad scientists of course.

edit on 27-12-2011 by Wildmanimal because: Add Content

edit on 27-12-2011 by Wildmanimal because: typo my bad

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Wait...I live in Florida...

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Just wow!

I knew they made em.. I just didnt think they were stupid enough to actually do it....

Now, this makes me wonder.... and fear.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by theRhenn

I wanted to mention also... There is a specific breed of duck that we have a great deal of in Louisiana. Their main diet are many thousands of these mosquito larve every day. I forget the name. They're kinda uglyish, white ducks with some kinda knotted up roughness around it's nose holes in it's bill. That would totaly wipe out this species!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join