It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genetically Modified Mosquitoes to be Released in the US for the First Time

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by ferumbra

Nice rant.

Shame this has nothing to do with Monsato.

You better thing twice on that.

Oxitec CEO is Luke Alphey and he worked in Monsanto in 1990, and he have 1 patent there.
www.google.co.uk...

So you see, most of GM products are somehow connected Monsanto.
edit on 27-12-2011 by ferumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by ferumbra

What?

That was 20 years ago!

Do you still have influence in a company you worked for 20 years ago??

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Why not? You forget people you work with in strongest ever GM company in world after 20 years?
You would not keep any contacts? That's not even possible. If you are among top players in game like Luke, you need to know other good players, and Monsanto have best GM researchers, and lots of little GM companies.

It is more likely they work close together on lots of ways, like maybe share stocks or even maybe Monsanto gives some money to Oxitec for research. I haven't find more connections but I believe there are plenty of cookies for people who want to search deeper for more connections.
edit on 27-12-2011 by ferumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I guess it wasn't as easy to GM the dragon flies (mosquito's natural predator) to produce twice or triple the amount of offspring? Dragon flies are pretty harmless to humans...and they come in pretty colors too.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

This sort of reminds me of a sci-fi movie I watched about
altered mosquitoes,they grew as big as birds and killed
everything.
I like the part about the public not being notified about the
releases.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

edit on 27-12-2011 by acmpnsfal because: double post

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Jeez you people are dramatic. I mean yes there is the potential for things to go wrong but there is an equal potential for things to go great. There is a huge benefit to these modified mosquitoes if this is successful. The biggest being that the need to spray pesticides and poisons for them would diminish. Those substances are very harmful to wildlife. And giant mutant mosquitoes.....thats impossible.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
we got mosquitoes tiny enough to fly through your screens for your windows on my island

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
So what happens when one of these things dine off of human blood?

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This is quite shocking news! Especially since they plan to do this in My Back Yard! I live in Homestead, FL pretty much as close to these test buggers as one could be. The mosquitoes we have down here are bad enough on there own. Capable of biting through jeans and two layers of cotton shirts. My biggest concern is the obvious one. The unknown. Once released, if things don't go the way they want. How do they stop it? I can see how this can be good if it works but the long term effects and possible mutations that may occur ought way the good in my opinion.

This all brings back some chilling memorys of the movie Mimic

Conversation from the movie between Dr. Gates and Dr. Susan Tyler

Evolution has a way of keeping things alive. But they all died in the lab. Yes, Susan. But you let them out... into the world. The world's a much bigger lab.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Jeez you people are dramatic. I mean yes there is the potential for things to go wrong but there is an equal potential for things to go great. There is a huge benefit to these modified mosquitoes if this is successful. The biggest being that the need to spray pesticides and poisons for them would diminish. Those substances are very harmful to wildlife. And giant mutant mosquitoes.....thats impossible.

So how would you feel if they picked the test area to be some where near you? Like within 15-25 miles in a heavily super mosquito environment. Would you still consider are reactions to be "dramatic?"

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
What? They spend tens of thousands of dollars spraying down here to thwart off the mosquito population and now they're going to release GM-Mosquitoes? I don't get it!

This might be Smart Dust or UAV disguised as mosquitoes too although why would they be announcing this to the public though?

Hmmmm. I don't get it. I don't trust anyone anymore. And I especially don't trust anything I read anymore. Hell, I don't even trust most of what I see anymore...who am I kidding?

edit on 27-12-2011 by Human_Alien because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ugie1028
messing with genetics of crops/animals (in this case insects) could lead to bad unexpected results. I dont know what dangers are to this experiment... but just imagine if this gene mutates and makes these critters resistant to pesticides or it mutates into something worse. I don't like this at all.

It sure has with every other thing they have done, bet it will this time too.
I think Nature has a built in "dont mess with me" in the DNA, and mankind
is just messing with a ticking time bomb.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

You know, the same thing came to mind. Why would they release to the public something with such a big potential for negative backlash? Its almost as if they know that people wont like the idea but are claiming to be starting the experiment when actuality........they started it a long time ago? Bah! Looks like I'll be stocking up on mosquito repellant again.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
History Repeats itself!! Back in 1957, Canada and US Gov was involved with an experiment of using Mosquitoes as vectors infected with Mycoplasma brucellosis and was release in Florida. With in one week of there release, there was a huge influx of people developing chronic fatigue syndrome. Interesting how they are repeating the release of Mosquitos in Florida...

Mosquitoes Vectors
edit on 27-12-2011 by Alchemst7 because: miss typo

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Maybe it's because I don't like Mosquitoes but really don't think this is a rather good idea. Just seems like we are modifying everything and it seems to go sour in a matter of time. I hope these mosquitoes don't make it up to Ohio ._.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Mosquito... Monsanto... Same thing, I just use a fly swatter to squash those little buggers.

But that's unreal that scientists are modifying them just cause... I would at least modify the mosquitos spit into a cure that would help certian diseases or cancers. Something that benefits the mosquitos and benefits us.
edit on 27-12-2011 by Shrukin89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Shrukin89

You could always raise a dragon fly and tie him to a string so he is your personal anti-mosquito weapon.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaworu
reply to post by Shrukin89

You could always raise a dragon fly and tie him to a string so he is your personal anti-mosquito weapon.

Lol or make a modified dragon fly that releases a chemical hormone that attracts mosquitos. Just like a venus fly trap that attracts flies.
edit on 27-12-2011 by Shrukin89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Relax [people its already been done to spread germ warfare.....
In florida i believe......
Though i forget what they spread with the release off the bugs....scarlet fever or dengue or ???
I think it was over miami or someplace that has a fair size immaigrant population.....
They used them in the canary islands too.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join