It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Somethings up with venus

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
reply to post by overanocean

Why does venus more or less look exactly like a star,a lot like what the north star looks like,why dont we see it as being a round planet,say like a really small moon?...Just wondering because i dont know...

This is an interesting question. The planets were deemed "planets" long before the telescope. This brings up the obvious question: if one has no telescope, and Venus does in fact like like very other object either projecting light or reflecting light, how did folks 2k years and further back know that Venus was indeed a planet? Better yet, how did the know Saturn had rings and was a planet - even knowing about the moons? I bring up these two because the common religious wars are in fact wars of devotion to Venus (islam) and Saturn (judeo/christian) so the conspiracy goes deep on this one.

One obvious, but not often investigated answer is; we humans had FAR better vision back then, though I don't believe this has anything to do with it.

As for the image. We assume there is not one single bit of doctoring occurs with anything, anywhere and never, ever with NASA. Raw feed is raw feed. One does know the reason for the "5 second" delay on radio and TV is to in fact doctor things. People will say it is to cut out offensive material which = doctoring. There are few people who have come forward stating they were in charge of doctoring photos for NASA = doctoring. So, we have in fact proof that doctoring does go on, the only question is to what level? Folks would like to believe that raw data is raw data and that can't be doctored, but live feed from TV stations is raw too, and can be doctored. So, could it be possible that the image is simply altered a tiny bit to reflect a standard digital problem, to cover something else up? The answer is yes, but did this happen - who knows?

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by crankyoldman
This is an interesting question. The planets were deemed "planets" long before the telescope. This brings up the obvious question: if one has no telescope, and Venus does in fact like like very other object either projecting light or reflecting light, how did folks 2k years and further back know that Venus was indeed a planet?

Astronomy 101. Literally. The term planet comes from the greek "planētēs astēr" and means "wandering star." Planets move with respect to the background stars. The ancients watched the stars night after night and knew this, hence the term planet.

Better yet, how did the know Saturn had rings and was a planet - even knowing about the moons?

The only thing they knew was that it was a planet. And now you know more about the history of that term than you knew before.

As for the image. We assume there is not one single bit of doctoring occurs with anything, anywhere and never, ever with NASA. Raw feed is raw feed.

The beacon image data is downloaded by stations all over the world, including amateur stations. It is up to you to PROVE any particular image has been "doctored," particularly with respect to the beacon image data discussed here.
edit on 29-12-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Webcasting a live view of Venus right now, surprise surprise, no flare is present (because it's a lens flare specific to the STEREO HI-1 camera). The atmospheric seeing is horrible though:
www.twitch.tv...
edit on 29-12-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Alright, Venus is setting into a tree, so I'll now be pointing the telescope elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Hi ngchuntter. What do you have for a scope?
Mine is a Celestron C8 Shmidt, vintage, but I like it that way. Superb optics.
I need to let is adapt to outside air temp at least 2 hours in the cold, or the seeing is crap.
Crisp cold New England air, challenging to spend an hour on the tube but wish I had a dome for it.
Just inquisitive, been doing amateur astronomy work for a long time.

edit on 29-12-2011 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

The only thing they knew was that it was a planet. And now you know more about the history of that term than you knew before.

Thank you for the history lesson. But I don't understand, who are "they?" What time period do the "they" live in?

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee

The only real odd thing here is how many people have been thinking it is different then they are used to and now this "lens flare". Yes the video is convincing that it is lens flare but why do I feel like there is something else happening up there. I can't stop looking I get up at night an go look several times during the night.

"many people have been thinking it is different then they are used to"

That's the thing about Venus....unless you are an avid sky watcher, Venus can surprise you. It can vary in brightness from –4.89 to –3.82 and goes from being the evening star to being the morning star (yes, it’s a planet not a star, but you know what I mean) I think that just catches people by surprise when it starts the bright evening cycle.
Here's a discussion from 2009
Strange star in the sky
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It was like people had never seen it before.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by 1beerplease

I don't look at every image everyday and I didn't recognize the early beacon mode image for what it was. If you consider not choosing to guess being "bamboozled" and coming to a conclusion after being offered more information "changing my mind" so be it.

Here is the latest beacon mode image

Here is the high quality image from December 16th:

You don't see the resemblence?

Yeh, that was a lens flare and those fireworks must have scared all the birds to death. NO, THAT IS NOT LENS FLARE. The object that comes out of venus and bubbles like that way going out. SHOW ME JUST ONE, JUST ONE VIDEO OR PIC OF A LENS FLARE THAT DOES THAT. YOU CAIN'T. Nice try. NOT.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

there, now you can close the thread, i made my comment. Sorry op. Most every time i make a point the thread closes.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Pauligirl

I'm not trying to sound stupid or smart,i'm just thinking way outside of the box that most of society is comfortable shutting themselves off within...

Can you or anyone else in the mainstream really prove that venus is a planet?

Can the average person prove beyond a shadow of any doubt that venus is not a star?

I dont think so...

All that the vast majority of us can really do is believe what the minority tells us to believe,we know what they tell us to know,we know what they want us to know...

Why does venus more or less look exactly like a star? Yet we are told to think and shown photos that convince us to believe venus is a planet. Is it a star? And then what exactly are all those other things in the night time sky they tell us are stars? Are they planets as well? Why wouldnt they be? Or are they all something else?
edit on 30-12-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Thank you for the history lesson. But I don't understand, who are "they?" What time period do the "they" live in?

If you get to make generalized statements, then so do I. I was referring to people pre-Galileo. I suspect you were referring to the Dogon. Do your research, the Dogon don't actually believe what a certain anthropologist falsely claimed they believe and what conspiracy theorists latched onto later.
edit on 30-12-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I'm not trying to sound stupid or smart,i'm just thinking way outside of the box that most of society is comfortable shutting themselves off within...

Can you or anyone else in the mainstream really prove that venus is a planet?

Can the average person prove beyond a shadow of any doubt that venus is not a star?

I dont think so...

I already did last night.

Why does venus more or less look exactly like a star?

I already explained it to you; your eyes don't have the optical resolution necessary to resolve it. Telescopes do. I've resolved it as a planet with my telescope many times.
i319.photobucket.com...

Yet we are told to think and shown photos that convince us to believe venus is a planet.

Yeah, cause all us amateur astronomers are lying... Seriously, you mistake "out of the box" with absolute ignorance. Proof exists that shows you to be wrong, but it's "just" photos to you. If you're not willing to accept proof, then you'll never escape that ignorance.
edit on 30-12-2011 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
Yeh, that was a lens flare and those fireworks must have scared all the birds to death. NO, THAT IS NOT LENS FLARE. The object that comes out of venus and bubbles like that way going out. SHOW ME JUST ONE, JUST ONE VIDEO OR PIC OF A LENS FLARE THAT DOES THAT. YOU CAIN'T. Nice try. NOT.

Already done:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It's a lens flare. It does this every time. First the lens flare contracted to Venus, THEN it expanded from Venus. I recreated the same type of phenomenon with my own scope. So there.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by charlyv

Hi ngchuntter. What do you have for a scope?
Mine is a Celestron C8 Shmidt, vintage, but I like it that way. Superb optics.
I need to let is adapt to outside air temp at least 2 hours in the cold, or the seeing is crap.
Crisp cold New England air, challenging to spend an hour on the tube but wish I had a dome for it.
Just inquisitive, been doing amateur astronomy work for a long time.

edit on 29-12-2011 by charlyv because: spelling , where caught

I have an 8" Classic LX200

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

In that case then all the other "stars" we see might also be "planets",but they only look like stars,just like venus looks like a star...

If our eyes dont have the optical resolution to see venus for what it really is,a planet,then our eyes certainly dont have the optical resolutioin to see what the stars really are either...

Especially knowing that the stars are millions of times further away from us than venus is...

edit on 30-12-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Wrong. We have many ways of studying the nature of stars without resolving them directly. We know their mass, temperature, size, etc. Please go take or sit in on a basic astronomy class.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

You might need to know what's in the box before you try thinking outside of it. ngchunter is right--take some basic classes. Learn about planets and star formation. Look through a telescope. Learn it, then if you still think it's wrong, question it.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

If you get to make generalized statements, then so do I. I was referring to people pre-Galileo. I suspect you were referring to the Dogon. Do your research, the Dogon don't actually believe what a certain anthropologist falsely claimed they believe and what conspiracy theorists latched onto later

By far the best post ever. You told me what I was referring to (created a strawman on the spot) then told me how I was wrong. Brilliant, this kind of discussion process is so informative, now I know not only what I was thinking - the dogon, but I also know how thinking that is wrong. Tail between legs, I head home, humbled...

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
To wrap it.

The high quality images are now available for the 27th. Here is an animation from the 16th through the 28th.
No one seems to have noticed the giant bubble moving across the frame. Probably nothing to worry about...just a space amoeba going to eat the Sun.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

By far the best post ever. You told me what I was referring to (created a strawman on the spot) then told me how I was wrong.

I said I suspected you were referring to the Dogon. I've been around this block before. Now if you weren't referring to the dogon, do enlighten me as to what you were referring, because unless you have some incredible proof, man first learned of Saturn's rings around the time of Galileo.

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join