It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just beautiful. Why I love space.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

HOUSTON -- International Space Station Commander Dan Burbank captured spectacular imagery of Comet Lovejoy, viewed from about 240 miles above the Earth’s horizon on Wednesday, Dec. 21.

Today Burbank described seeing the comet as “the most amazing thing I have ever seen in space,” in an interview with WDIV-TV in Detroit. Burbank took hundreds of still images of the comet.

www.nasa.gov...

That comet will venture in to the unknown.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Find anymore photos of space that are spectacular, post in here

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
in addition to all those wonderful images of nebulae, and the pioneer 10 & 11 images of Jupiter and Saturn, etc, I find this one of the most beautiful.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

That is just amazing! Thanks for that. I find that space is full of such beautiful things!

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
My favorite space photo is the original Hubble deep field. If there was ever a photo that just made you contemplate your place in the universe, that is it. Unfortunately it's just too large to post here. But one of my favorites from the APOD site is this one of the three better known nebulas in the Orion constellation. You can see the flame nebula, the horse head, and the great Orion nebula.

There are literally hundreds more on APOD that are my "favorite", but I do like this one and have it set as my desktop wallpaper.

Vince

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Yes, that blue dot between those two red streaks by a prominent outer ring in that image is EARTH!

Taken from the Cassini space probe.

One of the most fascinating pictures from space IMO. Plus Saturn looks spectacular.

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by vinceg

Yes very nice. Would it be possible to post a link to the Hubble deep field photo? And Illustronic could you upload the photo the Cassini space probe took and point out exactly where earth is because I think i know but I would just like to know for sure so I can appreciate the photo that little bit extra

posted on Dec, 27 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Just found this great website filled with stunning images that you can download

www.squidoo.com...

Unsure whether you already know of this site but if you don't. Enjoy
All HD too!

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiousrb
reply to post by vinceg

Yes very nice. Would it be possible to post a link to the Hubble deep field photo? And Illustronic could you upload the photo the Cassini space probe took and point out exactly where earth is because I think i know but I would just like to know for sure so I can appreciate the photo that little bit extra

Here's the link to the info page on the hubble site. From there you can get to the different images that have been taken over the years, but to me the 1996 one is the most impressive because they didn't know what they would find when they took them. To me, it's such a great image because every object in it, every pinpoint of light is another galaxy. The beauty of it is how it can stimulate the imagination. I read some where that the patch of sky captured in these images is nearly the size of a grain of sand held at arm's length. You really begin to understand how inconceivably large the universe must be. Our own galaxy is so fascinating, one can only imagine how fascinating so many of those in these images must be.

Deep Field Link

Here's another site that offers a brief overview of how the images were taken

www.deepastronomy.com...

Vince

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by curiousrb
reply to post by vinceg

Here's the link to the info page on the hubble site. From there you can get to the different images that have been taken over the years, but to me the 1996 one is the most impressive because they didn't know what they would find when they took them. To me, it's such a great image because every object in it, every pinpoint of light is another galaxy. The beauty of it is how it can stimulate the imagination. I read some where that the patch of sky captured in these images is nearly the size of a grain of sand held at arm's length. You really begin to understand how inconceivably large the universe must be. Our own galaxy is so fascinating, one can only imagine how fascinating so many of those in these images must be.

Deep Field Link

Here's another site that offers a brief overview of how the images were taken

www.deepastronomy.com...

Vince

top topics

join