It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 180
<< 177  178  179    181  182  183 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

maybe the Italians and Greeks have the right idea, instead of crouch, cover and hold
- RUN OUTSIDE

after all they been practicing for centuries

Logic dictates that would be the sensible, and probably natural, thing to do. Why would anyone wish to stay in a building likely to collapse. If you are in open space you stand a better chance. (If you ignore sink holes, fissures, liquefaction, other people panicking, tsunami, mud-flows, landslips, and the tax man)

reply to post by muzzy

You know that fella Sod - it's one of his laws I believe.

edit on 17/7/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Prov,Date/Time UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth(Km),Location
newz,2012-07-17 01:35:16, -37.784, 176.291, 5.5, 291.4, Te Puke

Locat ion in Google Maps

GeoNet reference

Wondering why neither USGS, EMSC, GFZ or Oz picked this one up. It is ~5.7 Mw so within limits. Pretty poor really considering these people profess to cover the whole world. Perhaps Kiwi land is not of this world?

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Time for Muzzy to get all embarrassed! I am not sure how many people appreciate the time and effort that goes into maintaining the type of site that Muzzy has with all it's graphs etc. Seabreeze is in my opinion an excellent resource for New Zealand earthquake information.

Because it is the 17th of July, which has no significance whatsoever, I thought it appropriate to point out to others the time and effort that Muzzy expends maintaining this.

I have also posted on my blog about this 'feature site'

Keep up the good work Muzzy. Be aware that your efforts are appreciated.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Gosh. thanks for the kind words

Yes it does take up a lot of my spare time. Luckily (or not depending in which way you look at it) my real job can only be done when its not raining or blowing a Gale, so I do get a lot of free time, especially in the Winter.
I try to maintain the NZ quakes every day, but some of the other networks can linger for a week if I'm working.
I did set myself a big task on the eqarchives, it hard to maintain manually, having to process each networks data on Excel first, and of course the layout they each present the data in is all different.
I know there are a few people not from ATS who look in every day, because I get a few "hoi" e-mails when I let things stagnate.

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Yeah thats kind of strange, no one picked it up except Geonet.
yet they got 4.8, 4.9 quakes at the Kermadecs.
I'd blame the depth, but when I first started following earthquakes I noted that Geonet was missing some 5's (not realizing at the time that I was only looking at Felt quakes) that USGS had shown, so I e-mailed and asked them why and they replied they didn't list them unless they were felt and some deep quakes are not felt.
So 6 years ago USGS would have probably shown it, regardless if it was felt.
That one was felt, so it made the Recent Quakes page, otherwise it would have only shown up on the magma search.

I missed it because I didn't check last night.

edit on 17-7-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 17 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Anti-fracking activists found guilty of trespass

Lancashire judge rules three activists who had occupied a gas rig are guilty of aggravated trespass

Bibi van der Zee
guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 17 July 2012 17.57 BST

www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2012/jul/17/anti-fracking-activists-trespass

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
23:29 18 July
Nuclear agency orders reinvestigation of faults beneath 2 plants

TOKYO, July 18, Kyodo

english.kyodonews.jp/news/2012/07/170253.html

The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency on Wednesday instructed Kansai Electric Power Co. and Hokuriku Electric Power Co. to reinvestigate faults beneath their Oi and Shika nuclear power plants in central Japan.

The decision came a day after members of an expert panel of the government agency pointed to the risk posed by a fault, called F-6, running north-south between the Oi plant's Nos. 1-2 reactors and Nos. 3-4 reactors and a fault named S-1 under the Shika plant's No. 1 reactor, pointing to the possibility that the faults are active.

Government regulations do not allow construction of nuclear reactors above active faults.

Before the reactivation of the Oi plant's No. 4 reactor on Wednesday night, Senior Vice Minister of Economy, Trade and Industry Seishu Makino said, "If there is doubt, even if only slightly, that it is an active fault, we want an immediate reinvestigation," referring to the F-6 fault.

But he added, "We do not recognize a risk that would force us to stop the reactivation (of the No. 4 unit.)"

If the on-site investigation confirms the fault under the Shika plant's No. 1 reactor is active, it would be difficult to operate the idled power station and there is a possibility the plant would be decommissioned.

The government's nuclear safety agency said it has urged Kansai Electric to submit a reinvestigation plan "soon" and called on Hokuriku Electric to submit its plan by July 25.

Copyright 2012 Kyodo News

posted on Jul, 18 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by amcpwoy

Building a Nuclear Plant anywhere near an earthquake fault is insanity, active or not.
Wonder what at what recurrence level they consider a fault to be inactive? 100 years, 5000 years?
We don't allow them anywhere in New Zealand

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Did you know that a Mag 6 + earthquake is statistically more likely to happen on a Saturday?

I didn't until I came across this by the Master of Chaos

Agreed the difference is not huge but none the less as he says:

Saturday (Saturn’s Day) was one and one-half standard deviations above the mean, which makes it an anomaly.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
USGS Predictability once again.

The Kuril Islands quake - EMSC 6.0, JMA 6.1 was at 5.8 Mw for USGS and they did not change it - until predictably it was 'out of the public eye'. I said at the time that this would be upgraded.

Today it was upgraded to 6.0 Mw

M6.0 - 268km E of Kuril'sk, Russia 2012-07-08 11:33:02 UTC

They thought no one was looking. They were wrong!

edit on 19/7/2012 by PuterMan because: Green decoration was required.

By the way GFZ Potsdam had Mag 5.9 Mw at the time and have also upgraded at some time but I don't know when. Now 6.0 despite the fact that the tensor still shows 5.9 Mw

edit on 19/7/2012 by PuterMan because: To add more "stuff" 'cos "stuff" is good.

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Anyone remember the 6.9 in Japan in March? OMG pool 4 is in danger etc.

It was 6.8 Mw, then it was 6.9 Mw and it still is 6.9 Mw on the USGS website, but on ANSS this is now 7.0 Mw

(Seems it is also 7.0 on the USGS site even though the front page has not been changed)

Since the ANSS figure will probably get used at the end of the year we need to add 1 more to the Mag 7 quakes making 6 for this year so far.

Oh just to add by the way ANSS is not always right: Possible error in the ANSS database July 2012

edit on 19/7/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:01 PM
link   

So I guess you could say that USGS are NOT unreliable, they ARE reliable in that they understate the magnitude initially, then quietly bring it up later.
For those people who solely watch USGS and only look at the initial pages, and don't go back later things are looking quiet on the 6+ front.
I'd cut them some slack if they changed the magnitudes within a couple of days like Geofon and EMSC do, sometimes it takes a while to get accuracy, but 30+ days? thats Geonet stuff, who have a budget >1% of USGS

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

I used EMSC source for that one and had it on the 7+ map

I've got 9 Mag 7+ for 2012

MWE 7+

Oh forgot South of Taranaki 7.0ML, must add that in at the weekend.

10 then

edit: Oops was looking at the wrong quake , one on 1/1/2012

I'll add that March one too then.

11 for 2012
edit on 19-7-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 19 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

There are some huge differences between quake numbers as well.

Mag 6+ from 01/01/1973 showing about 500 difference between ANSS and the PDE catalogue. Which is right? Answer both of them.

I checked them out today, only one or two as it takes WAY too much time, but the difference here is the magnitude scales again I think.

I may have had an answer on that but Excel just refused to sort 65000 lines, either that or it is taking too long.

Just asking but if a Richter 7 is ~6.6 Mw and most of the quakes are Mw, can you actually count that as a 7? There would not be 11 if they were all Mw.

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Yes you are right, if you just consider Mw.
This is where I came unstuck as I went back in time, from memory Ms was the king in the 1970's and Me took charge for a while in the 1980's so anything that shows as Mw from those periods must be a conversion since.
So initially my project was to cover Mag 7+, but I've had to include Ms, ML and even mb into what is now Major World Earthquakes, because of those periods when Mw wasn't used.
Major isn't even the right term as 7's are called "Very-Strong" , "Majors" are actually Mag 8.0-8.99

Very-Strong World Earthquakes doesn't have the same ring to it does it

I think to be fair any tally up has to be of the same type of magnitude.

Thats why it has taken me so long to go back pre 1910, because we are into the realm of quakes being recorded by the Intensity ie MM, rather than Magnitude. I'm slowly working my way into the 1800's by looking over Utsu's work and see how he did it.

ETA: my feeling after thinking about it for a while is that going back a half magnitude regardless of type would solve a lot of the problems with USGS's persistant tampering with the numbers, ie 5.5 - 6.5 is "strong"
6.6 - 7.5 is "very strong", 7.6 - 8.7 is "major" and "Great" is anything above 8.8

I forget where I got the current icon scale I use, but its not the Mercalli scale of Intensity, it was based on magnitude.

edit on 20-7-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

ETA2:
If I did drop back half a magnitude I'd find thousands of more quakes 6.5 -7.0 to add, Chile alone has hundreds in that range that I haven't used.
edit on 20-7-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Magnitude 6.1 6.0 - Kuril Islands

L ocation in Google Maps
  • Date-Time: Friday, July 20, 2012 @ 06:10:25 UTC
  • Earthquake location: 49.446°N, 155.922°E,
  • Earthquake depth: 17.1 km
  • Distances:
    137km (85mi) S of Severo-Kuril'sk, Russia
    424km (263mi) SSW of Vilyuchinsk, Russia
    443km (275mi) SSW of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy, Russia
    450km (279mi) SSW of Yelizovo, Russia