It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is this a giant humanoid STATUE buried in Mars??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

Agreed, it's amazing how many of these kinds of threads crop up. Years ago I used to find faces in the marble tiles when I was deathly board at school, or the wood grain of my desk. Someone's probably posted this but the name for it is Pareidolia, the classic example of which is ironically the "face" on Mars. The human eye is pattern seeking, especially when it comes to seeing faces and human shapes. Now I'd love to think Mars had life, even civilization, but we need better evidence than "if you squint, this could almost be a statue".

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Wow, what a ride -the comments on this thread. Everything from the original assertion to immediate dismissal. For what it's worth, I don't think it is a statue. However, there are some interesting features that do not resemble natural erosion. The "head" and the "arm" seem out of place, rocks or not. And, overall, the impression that the image gives me is that there *might* be something there that resembles the robot from "The Iron Giant." Remember that animated movie? The "arm" and "helmet" areas bear the most resemblance to an Iron Giant styled robot or machine. Still, is it a certainty? Of course not. However, on the same token, the features cannot be 100% dismissed (properly) by stating that "we see what we want to see," etc.

This location, like so many others on Mars, is controversial and worth exploration. On Earth, however, humans have surged so many resources towards war and the illusion of a "zero sum" game (no one can gain unless someone else loses) instead of taking to space. Back in the late 1960s and early 1970s, from popular science fiction books, movies, etc., we seemed to anticipate a great deal of progress into space by the year 2001-ish (surely partly because of the movie "2001: A Space Odyssey"), but reality never lived-up to hopes and dreams. Instead, there was war. Anyway, back to point.

We won't be landing astronaut archaeologists there anytime soon, and remote rover probes are in other interesting areas. Until then, there is speculation. I tend to be skeptical. However, I have an open mind, and I personally believe that the solar system (and the Universe) is a far more interesting place than we have been conditioned to believe. People scoff and laugh away most things they don't understand because the idea that the world exists beyond our understanding of it can be disquieting and uncomfortable. Discovering a statue on Mars would shake the foundations of our understanding of a "boring" solar system. Finding an "Iron Giant" styled "robot" would do the same. We tend to resort to the line of thinking expressed with the following quote: "It can't possibly be such, because the solar system is a boring place." Yet, we also need more evidence. More satellite passes with different perspectives would be nice.

Final note: one of the posters here provided an extensive (and enjoyable) set of images of rock formations. Many of them were not purely natural formations occuring in nature. Many of them were altered by man to resemble man. Native Americans would carve formations that caught their imagination into the shapes of human heads. Hiking in the Badlands of North Dakota, my friends and I saw one such alteration first hand. Very impressive. But, that does not prove that features on another planet/moon are natural formations.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GhostLancer
Discovering a statue on Mars would shake the foundations of our understanding of a "boring" solar system.
The funny thing is that, apparently, those that are looking for signs of civilizations on other planets are the ones that think that the solar system would be, without those, a boring place.

For those looking at planets like Mars from a "lets see what we can learn from this" perspective do not find it boring at all. At least I do not, but I like rocks.

More satellite passes with different perspectives would be nice.
I looked for other photos of that area, but couldn't find any. That's the problem with high resolution photos, we need many to cover a relatively small percentage of the target planet.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

Your childish attacks on those who don't see what you think do are unbecoming of this board. Calling people "shills" for speaking what is most likely the truth is immature and undeserved.

Normally mods take a dim view and will delete posts that follow this line. I hope they do the same to you if you keep it up.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1AnunnakiBastard

Originally posted by gortex

post by 1AnunnakiBastard
Because you said so??? You have to do better than that pal

No not because I say so but because it isn't a statue , its a combination of features that you perceive to be a statue .

Please, PROVE to me, that's NOT a statue!! Oh wait... You have never been in Mars, have you??? Have you been in Hellas Montes and verified yourself that's not a statue??? So you affirm it based in WHAT??? YOUR opinion?? Hmmmm....

And you say it's NOT because YOU said it so??

Man don't you see your own double standard? Yeah your right it's not a statue just because he says it isn't, and it isn't a statue because you say it is! It looks like absolutely nothing, IMO, just another pile of rocks, I mean come on the horse statue was a lot more likely than this and that was really bad.

Honestly, it could be a statue and it might not be, nobody on this earth I believe is going to be able to know one way or the other just by looking at the pics, sooo....... why waste time talking about this? It's all speculation, on both sides, it can't be proven fake or real so I really don't get the point?

People are spending way too much time searching through endless pictures of Mars looking for something that they're becoming desperate and delusional, convincing themselves they've found something just to justify all the lost time and effort they've put into it. (IMO)

Don't get me wrong, I believe in alien life, I'd LOVE to find out Mars is or was occupied by humanoid lifeforms, I dream for a day when aliens reveal themselves to us, but please these "Mars artifacts" are just getting more and more desperate, it's making the whole study of Mars artifacts into a laughing joke when people keep bringing forward pictures of random rocks claiming evidence for life..(IMO)

I mean, even if it really looked like a statue, and most people here were agreeing that yes, it looks quite a lot like a statue, then what? What's the point? What will come of it? What will change? What will you have accomplished? Is it really just about getting the glory and recognition of being the one to find something?? Because I don't see anything further than that..

Unless the pic literally looks like the last scene from Planet of the Apes nothing will come of it, TPTB, the government, scientists will not comment, there will be no disclosure or alien contact, nothing at all will come from these pictures of rocks, people need to re-evalute how they spend their short time on this world....

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Until I looked at the 2nd image that points out what to look for, I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary. Hence, natural formation.

Cool find anyway.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
That would be a no

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Why.

Why do we have these threads.

It just astounds me.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
The photos at the start of the thread with the arrows pointing to the various 'features' of the 'statue' reminded me of Colin Powell's 'intelligence' photos justifying the start of the 2nd Iraq war.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I have to say that I find threads and post like these very entertaining. And I applaud everyone that has the ability to think "Out of the Box" and look at things and objects with "new eyes".

But at some point or another I think that a hefty side of skepticism would benefit us all. Otherwise we would all be experiencing "Pareidolia" when we stare at the "fluffy clouds" (I see a rabbit) and "burn't toast" (I see Jesus)...

Johnny

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by -Blackout-

post by -Blackout-
How do we know what the Face on Mars is? Has man actually stepped foot on Mars to check it out?

Not to my knowledge , but what we have done is send better equipment up there .

post by -Blackout-
Fact is, we dont know what the face is.

I think we do , the because we haven't been there argument doesn't stand up , we have and are there in robotic form , both on the ground and in orbit with some pretty sophisticated tech .
I'm not saying NASA tells us everything but I believe NASA over Richard C Hoagland any day of the week with regard to this

Edit
Actually looking at it in the embed it does look like an Alien Grey
...Ahhhh peridolia .
edit on 24-12-2011 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Take a look at this photo I took a few years ago...

See the face?

There is nothing manmade about the image I posted; it's just a collection of random shapes, dark spots, weathering and shadow, which occured naturally. To me, the face presented in this tree is far more human looking than the face they found on Mars, and both are far more convincing than the statue presented in the OP.
However at any other angle, the face on this tree disappears, which is what they found with the face on Mars, and which you'd likely find with the "form" presented here.

Here's another one:

[Grandfather Mountain, NC (profile)]

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

The tricky part is that NASA cut the area where the statue should be in the image available to download:

hirise.lpl.arizona.edu...

It's only seen in the image browser of HiRISE:

marsoweb.nas.nasa.gov...
edit on 12/23/2011 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

Nothing was cut out as you say.What you see is the shadow from the ridge.I cannot for the life of me see a statue in there even after you pointed out your details.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
Probably not .. almost certainly not actually ..

It's the eyes making patterns from random features on the surface, especially when you throw in the mix of light and shadow .. I don't even really see it, but it's much like seeing faces in the clouds.

Just because you are in denying, it doesn't mean it's not there. Unless you can PROVE that's not a statue, the "face in the clouds" explanation is just YOUR opinion.

May i be the one to remind you that You were asking.

2.Why on earth does anyone need to prove to you that there is NOT a statue on mars?
Or are you ready to prove to me that there is not a pink elephant on some planet 60 lightyears from here hanging by its tail of a 50 mile high mountain held by a mouse ?

edit on 24-12-2011 by Rafe_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Ever been to Bryce or Zion canyon Utah?
you can see lots of "Natural" formations there.
Could help put to rest the Ideas that mars once contained life.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Interesting topic. The head and arm look more apparent.

Hmmm out of the box - it doesn't have to be a statue .. perhaps a giant stone creature or corpse of a creature.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

post by Lil Drummerboy

Why ? , many scientists now are coming round to the idea that mars once contained life , Professor Brian Cox believes life could still exist on Mars .

‘There are missions going to look for life on Mars and Jupiter’s moon, Europa. If I was to put money on it I’d say that they’d find microbes on Mars in the next ten to 15 years.
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by gortex
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

post by Lil Drummerboy

Why ? , many scientists now are coming round to the idea that mars once contained life , Professor Brian Cox believes life could still exist on Mars .

‘There are missions going to look for life on Mars and Jupiter’s moon, Europa. If I was to put money on it I’d say that they’d find microbes on Mars in the next ten to 15 years.
www.dailymail.co.uk...
Microbes build statues?

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Here is my version of the image posted in the OP.

It's an enhanced version so it will appear darker but look at the detail that's showing up on the surface. I am a graduate researcher and have been interested in features on Mars and the Moon for many years. I can honestly say that some of the features I have found would surprise many of the skeptics.

Take a look at the image shown below. You will have to study it very carefully as there is quite a lot of landscape and structural artwork showing in the form of statues and sculpted facial representations.

Direct view. i985.photobucket.com...
edit on 24-12-2011 by arianna because: text

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join