It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would U.S. ever free-bomb cities?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Would the U.S. ever do such a thing? Precision/dumb-bomb entire cities non-stop like they did over Hanoi?

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I don't think so.

However, you ain't seen nothing yet.

Arms dealers are jumping for joy over the endless "War on Terror" and they are manufacturing deadlier, stronger, bigger weapons and selling them to anyone with $$$, Yen, Dinars, or whatever currency you got.

The real war is not even here yet...wait for Bush's second term.

The War Criminal-In-Chief.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweatmonicaIdo
Would the U.S. ever do such a thing? Precision/dumb-bomb entire cities non-stop like they did over Hanoi?

Mate what do you think ? Why do you think the US has guided weapons today ?
This thread is BS and suspiciously seems like you are trying to 'up' your ATS points.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
No. that type of city busting warefare ended with WWII, At least the total destruction kind. Better to use smart weapons. Less cost to rebuild after.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:14 PM
link   
From what I understand, the reason for "carpet bombing" was to increase the chances of hitting the intended target. Sometime it would take numerous missions just to destroy one objective.
With todays "smart bombs" it is not necessary to take out entire city blocks just to destroy one target.

[edit on 8-9-2004 by Skibum]

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:17 PM
link   
What's the point of free-dropping 20 bombs when you can drop 20 guided bombs directly onto their targets.

posted on Sep, 8 2004 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

This thread is BS and suspiciously seems like you are trying to 'up' your ATS points.

Are you angry?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:00 AM
link   
It would take too much in resources and man power to revert back to that form of bombing. They have single bombs that can do just as much damage anyways so even if they did want to destroy whole city blocks they wouldnt need to carpet bomb

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by mad scientist

Are you angry?

Not angry, frustrated. Why ? because the answer to the question is plainly obvious as you can see from all the other posts. Do you think the US would carpet bomb cities again ?

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 12:09 AM
link   
No need to get worked up mad scientist, i think he had a valid question asking our opinions. Its not like the points mean # anyways, and even if they did its not like him getting points affects you...

posted on Sep, 9 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
No need to get worked up mad scientist, i think he had a valid question asking our opinions. Its not like the points mean # anyways, and even if they did its not like him getting points affects you...

Good post, specialasianX.

First off, I wasn't even going to get that many points (nor do I care, since I hardly know what the points do).

But hey, they call him MAD scientist for a reason!

I was kind of fascinated by the idea of carpet bombing because of what we did to Hanoi during Linebacker. I have never seen Hanoi, but I was wondering just how devestating non-stop carpet bombing of cities was like. I wonder what it'd be like to be living in a big city only to realize the deadliest American weaponry are raining on you.

Alos, you have to consider the fact carpet bombing may be a last-ditch, desperation measure in the case the U.S. is suffering far too many casualties. If you're getting beat bad, you got to notch up the pressure.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 04:22 AM
link   
If we are going to carpet bomb, we should use the MOAB, just load up all the C-130's 1 bomb each and send them to uh ...... Tehran or Riyadh ?

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I say we drop the MOAB on you, Mad Scientist.

Mad Scientists are a serious threat to world security.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

I say we drop the MOAB on you, Mad Scientist.

Mad Scientists are a serious threat to world security.

How boring would the world be, without a Mad Scientist here and there

E_T

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Well, Russians "precision" bombed Groznyi to pile of rocks.

MOABs are big and clumsy to use.
I would suggest BLU-96 2000lb Fuel Air Explosive for nonhardened targets.
Their shockwave isn't as sharp/brisancy so high as with conventional explosives but it lasts much longer and you get much better "bang per pound" because you don't have to carry all oxidizer in bomb.

...causes a blast approximately five times more powerful than conventional high explosives.

www.tiscali.co.uk...

They're also known as thermobaric bombs.
www.hrw.org...
www.fact-index.com...
www.weeklystandard.com...

On the other hand MOAB is alaos very nice if you have enough slow moving cargo planes (and air superiority with all air defense destroyed).

BOMB RADIUS DAMAGE

* Up to 1,000 yards: Obliterates everything.

* Up to 1 mile: Knocks people, tents, light buildings, cars and jeeps over within 1-mile radius.

* Up to 1.7 miles: shock wave kills people, causes severe damage to buildings, equipment, blows trucks, tanks off road.

* Up to 2 miles: causes deafness.

* Up to 5 miles: shakes ground, breaks windows.

* Up to 30 miles: 10,000 foot high mushroom cloud visible.

[Source The Lexington Institute and Globalsecurity.org]

www.globalsecurity.org...

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:06 AM
link   
Been there, done that!

I'm out o' here!

top topics

join