It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research In Motion (RIM) To Be Taken Over!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere, but I thought it was a relevant article for anyone who uses smartphone technology in their daily telecommunication!

RIM shares soar on takeover rumours

www.theprovince.com...
Posted: Dec. 21, 2011

Research In Motion's shares took off Wednesday amid unconfirmed reports that tech heavyweights Microsoft, Nokia and Amazon had looked to take over the BlackBerry smartphone maker.

The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday reported that U.S. software giant Microsoft and Finnish cell phone behemoth Nokia mulled a joint takeover of RIM in recent months.

Other reports said online retailer Amazon had separately weighed an offer for Canada's largest technology company.

The speculation drove a seven per cent jump in RIM shares in morning trading in Toronto, to Can$13.86 (U.S.$13.48).

RIM would not confirm or deny it held takeover talks with any of the companies.

RIM shares have lost 80 per cent of their value this year.

A costly BlackBerry service outage and deep discounting of the price of its PlayBook tablet computer were cited last week as factors in the company's latest gloomy earnings figures.

Now, I am a Blackberry user and have found that RIM has really been struggling with customer service as well as providing RELIABLE service to its customer base.

I recall the blackout a couple months ago that left all Blackberry users in the dark for 3 to 7 days. It was a nightmare. Heck, even my confidence has fallen in BB and recently had a few friends switch to the iPhone 4.

So what does this say about technology and it's evolution? If you don't keep up with your competitors while simultaneously increasing sales and decreasing costs, your time will be up where a competitor is going to buy you out.

Personally, I hope that Nokia takes over RIM. Their technology is way more advanced alongside the likes of Apple & Samsung. But I wouldn't be surprised if the Canadian firm (RIM) decides to be stubborn about it and refuse any takeover bids to preserve the Canadian face in telecommunications industry.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Microsoft is the number one contributor to RIMs success, as it lives on exchange servers.

The weak are always subject to stronger animals.

Capitalism is just the animal kingdom manifesting itself in the corporate Eco-system.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Doesn't look like its happening. Saw this earlier.

Research In Motion Ltd. has turned down takeover overtures from Amazon.com Inc and other potential buyers because the BlackBerry maker prefers to fix its problems on its own, according to people with knowledge of the situation.

Source

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
would have been nice if Amazon took it over, I like their customer service. Also I think that the Fire is a rebranded Playbook (not 100% sure though)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by calnorak
would have been nice if Amazon took it over, I like their customer service. Also I think that the Fire is a rebranded Playbook (not 100% sure though)

A friend of mine who is an Apple fanatic said that the Fire WAS a rebranded Playbook. So now I've heard that speculation twice today.

I love Amazon, too, but as a Apple devotee, I wonder how they will be able to compete long-term in the device market. I have a Kindle (for reading in the sunlight or in the tub/pool...with a waterproof case), but I can't see the Kindle Fire really competing in the tablet market. I'm in the iPad camp tablet-wise.

It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

The Kindle is really targeted at a different market - though the "Kindle Fire" is something I'm not all that well researched on.

In all honesty, "classic" tablets are horribly ineffective displays for reading. Back-lit LCDs, and even OLEDs are too easily washed out by ambient lighting sources.

The E-ink displays are far more power efficient and have a much better surface for reading. Their response times are not exactly what one would call impressive - but if you are browsing the internet or reading e-mail/texts, it is more than sufficient.

Honestly, I don't even consider the iPad in the same class as a Kindle (or anything derived from a Kindle). The Kindle is an e-reader with the target market being those seeking a portable reading device. Added functionality is just that - added functionality to the primary.

The two markets really aren't in competition. People who pick up an iPad aren't buying it with a clear idea of how they are going to use a given piece of technology. They may download an e-book or two for the iPad, but if they are truly in the market for an e-reader; they will side with a more dedicated platform like a Kindle, Nook, Kobo, Boox etc.

The battery life and display of dedicated e-readers is just far better (although e-ink will be far more impressive when color and a deeper shading system can be included).

That's my take on it... I was skeptical about the whole e-reader deal until I saw a shipmate of mine using one in the shop. And, honestly, why my laptop does not have an E-ink display visible when I close the lid, is beyond me (a massive area perfect to embed an e-ink display for college texts or books of any kind.... probably should have applied for a patent before I typed that, here).

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

Yep--that's why I have a Kindle AND an iPad. If you want to read, a backlit display isn't the best device in many circumstances. I definitely agree with that one.

top topics

join