It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mexico Mayan region launches apocalypse countdown

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
My apologies if this has been posted already. I searched, but didn't see anything about it.

hosted.ap.org...

MEXICO CITY (AP) -- Seize the day.

Only 52 weeks and a day are left before Dec. 21, 2012, when some believe the Maya predicted the end of the world.

Unlike enthusiasts of other doomsday theories who suggest putting together survival kits, southeastern Mexico, the heart of Maya territory, plans a yearlong celebration.

Mexico's tourism agency expects to draw 52 million visitors by next year only to the regions of Chiapas, Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Tabasco and Campeche. All of Mexico usually lures about 22 million foreigners in a year.

Hmmm. 52 weeks in a year, so they're estimating one million tourists per week until this time next year.

It's selling the date, the Winter Solstice in the coming year, as a time of renewal. Many archeologists argue that the 2012 reference on a 1,300-year-old stone tablet only marks the end of a cycle in the Mayan calendar.

"The world will not end. It is an era," said Yeanet Zaldo, a tourism spokeswoman for the Caribbean state of Quintana Roo, home to Cancun. "For us, it is a message of hope."

Cities and towns in the Mayan region on Wednesday will start the yearlong countdown. In Chiapas the town of Tapachula on the Guatemalan border will start a countdown on an 8-foot digital clock in the main park exactly a year before the mysterious date.

In the nearby archaeological site of Izapa, Maya priests will burn incense, chant and offer prayers.

In the tropical jungle of Quintana Roo, between the resorts of Cancun and Playa del Carmen, people are putting messages and photos in a time capsule that will be buried for 50 years. Maya priests and Indian dancers will perform a ritual at the time capsule ceremony.

Yucatan state has announced plans to complete the Maya Museum of Merida by next summer.

"People who still live in Mayan villages will host rites and burn incense for us to go back in time and try to understand the Mayan wisdom," Zaldo said.

The Maya reputation for wisdom has people taking the alleged prediction seriously.

I wish I could go for a visit. It would be fascinating to watch their rituals and speak with a few. Plus, it would be nice to be around those who saw this as a time of rebirth and celebration instead of death and destruction.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Seems tourism is driving the so-called apocalypse and not Nibiru. I wouldn't doubt that the Mexican tourism bureau started this whole 2012 thing to bring in that sweet foreign money to help thier economy.

After 2012 comes and goes with no destruction, what will be the next apocolypse hot spot?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
I thought it had been recalculated to end on Dec. 24, 2011????

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Feltrick

As much as I've read about the whole 2012 thing and the Mayans, I believe this is all done to welcome the Age of Aquarius. We've been in the Age of Pisces now, which is also the reason why the Christians use the Jesus Fish symbol and the Pope's hat resembles a fish head. Frankly, I'm interested to see how Vatican City adjusts itself for the New Age. Especially since the Pope is suffering health issues. We may be welcoming in a new Pope come this time next year. This should all get really interesting as things unfold.

Everyone just needs to relax and understand that apocalypse means discovery, which we're already seeing now on various levels.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by lyons666

I hadn't heard that.
Do you have a link to this info?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
If anyone is interested on what the Age of Aquarius represents:

adishakti.org...

Age of Aquarius: Age of Holy Breath
"This age will be an age of splendour and of light, because it is the home of the Holy Breath; and the Holy Breath will testify anew for Christ, the Logos of the eternal Love. At first of every age this Logos is made manifest in flesh so man can see and know and comprehend a Love that is not narrow, circumscribed. Twelve times in every revolution of the sun this christed Love of God is made full manifest in flesh upon the planes of earth, and you may read it in Akasha the wondrous lessons that these Christs have taught to man." — Dan Costian (Ph.D), Bible Enlightened

www.neptunecafe.com...

Many astrologers see a diminishing role for organized religion since we are collectively entering the Age of Aquarius and leaving behind the Age of Pisces. The shift from the last age to the next is certainly boosted by the transits of Uranus and Neptune in Aquarius as simultaneously the traditional concept of "God" is undergoing intense questioning.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Here is some more interesting information:

www.librarising.com...

There are great cycles in the cosmos which rule great events. One such is the cycle of the Great Zodiac Ages which spans almost 26,000 years. This is the time it takes our planet's equatorial plane(due to its axial wobble) to regress one full cycle along the solar plane(ecliptic). Each zodiac age can last anywhere from 2000 to 2300 years. The Age of Pisces in which we live is one of the shortest ages, beginning in 26 AD and ending in 2012 AD -or a total of just over 1986 years. In 1945 we entered the last degree of Pisces. Here are the ages and their durations...

Aries, Pisces, Libra, Virgo 1986.37 years
Aquarius, Scorpio, Leo, Taurus 2129.04 years
Capricorn, Sagittarius, Cancer, Gemini 2291.28 years

These lengths are based on the Earth's electromagnetic(astrological) composition. The dates at which each begins or ends is based on the Mayan calender.

The Mayan Great Year is 25,626.83 years, which is then divided into five periods of 5125.36 years or 1,872,000 days. These five "Worlds" or "Suns" do not necessarily correspond with the astrological ages, but the end of this fourth World does. The Mayan Fourth World or Sun began in 3113 BC and ends in 2012 AD.

The Mayans use 5, 10, and 20 (fingers and toes) as their base numbers, and a whole octave series of dates around these key numbers can be built, as follows...

5125yrs 3113BC-2012AD Mayan 4th World
512.5yrs 1500-2012AD The Americas
51.25yrs 1961-2012AD Photon Belt
5.125yrs 2007-2012AD Pole Shift

While the crossover from one age to the next can take hundreds of years, the critical midpoint between the Age of Pisces and the Age of Aquarius is December 21st, 2012 AD, when the Earth's equatorial plane aligns exactly with the galactic center. The Ages are a purely planetary phenomenon based on the planet's wobble. The source of this wobble is in dispute, although I suspect it is linked to our planet's inner sun(our planet is hollow containing an inner central sun). Each planet has its own ages.

Each Age has a theme, and the theme of the Age of Pisces is Christianity(Sagittarius is on the Midheaven). Both Pisces and Sagittarius are "spiritual" signs interested in the larger meaning of life. The theme(s) of the coming Age of Aquarius will be truth and brotherhood.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought

I hadn't heard that.
Do you have a link to this info?

Im not saying I believe all of this, but I am interested and curious.. Here are some threads for you and there is a lot more on the internet.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Thanks for the info. I briefly looked at the first page of the first thread and noticed one constant theme. There's always one poster who is firmly stating that nothing is going to happen.

To be perfectly clear. Something is definitely going to happen. You cannot stop the planets from moving. Just because we don't acknowledge the Ages in western society it doesn't rule out that there are much more ancient and learned cultures who do. While we're all about satellites and what precious metals may be on planets, the elder cultures are much more in tune with their movements and their procession. The western world has lost this and doesn't find it significant. Just as we used to follow a lunar calendar, doesn't mean that other cultures keep this calendar alive and well.

I do think that there is a strong possibility that we are not in the year 2011 since Caesar changed the calendar, but I have yet to see any proof of this.
edit on 21-12-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I do have one question.

Since the Age of Aquarius represents brotherhood, are any Masons looking forward to this or are any of their rituals symbolic of this transition?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Went down there this past summer on a mission trip to Tizimin, Mexico and actually visited some of the sites...pyramids...and they are magnificent.

The people there outside of Cancun, once you get to the interior of the yucatan penninsula are very, very poor... very poor. Most people live in "palapays" or vertical log huts with thatched or tin roofs...some use a newer material which is a coorugated cardboard covered with asphalt...widely used since the palm used for thatched roofs is in great decline due to overharvesting.

The huts have dirt floors and when they need more room, they don't add on, they build another adjoining hut.

They also live in small squared cinder block buildings about 12x12 and they may house an entire family of 4-8 in each one.

However, they are the nicest, most sincere and generous people that you will ever meet.

Back to the Apocolypse...most of the natives there see nothing in the Mayan Calender...in fact it is a joke among them. They see a way to make money off of the tourist trade. near the commercial and tourist spots, you will see the native mexicans selling their wares at little tables to the side of the roads and parking areas...and they will have reproductions of the mayan calender...turn them over... made in China...Taiwan...Bangladesh... or even Mexico.

I actually befriended our guide who was descended from the Mayan preist... his las name meant "black jaguar"...which was a highly prized and respected animal of the Inca and Maya... he joked also about 2012... infact, most people in Tizimin had not heard of it...

If you go... do not eat food just anywhere... find out the safe places...hygenically and gastrominaclly... for instance in tizimin was Epollo Brujo...Chicken Wizard...safe. The little vendors sitting by the raod with the same taquitos in the cardboard box in the PM that were there in the AM... not so safe.

It is true...do not drink the water...never, ever drink the water...never. We even brushed our teeth with bottled water.

Also, be careful of the law there. They ride around in pickups armed with M-16s and FN-Lars rifles... and they are intimidating. If you screw up as an American, you will pay a hefty fine. And you have no US Constitution there. Sometimes you may be stopped by a policia and he will walk up to your vehicle with his hand out...on the palm will be either 25 or 50... that means "pesos, amigo"...pay him and move along. You really don't want to be hold up in a one room jail on the edge of a remote jungle village.

And the folks there move on "Mayan Time"... 8am mean about 9am...12 noon means about 1230pm to about 2pm... just go with the flow and enjoy...more time for "una mass cervassa." Yes, I did drink a cervasa or 3... do not drink the water...ever.
edit on 21-12-2011 by AlreadyGone because: spelling

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Facinating to hear about you trip!
I'm jealous though.

It's nice to know that there are cultures out there who realize that happiness doesn't mean a Mansion in Beverly Hills. I do find it curious that they treat their own ancestral calendars as if they're a joke. Maybe they think it's funny that the western world believes them to mean destruction is on the horizon? I don't blame them for wanting to take the Americans for their money. After all, we are just the new kid on the block.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

The people there are happy with what they have and really want nothing more. It is a frame or state of mind.

We stayed for 8 days, and interacted with people from the city and we took excursions into the countryside. the land is raich but rocky.. and as an American, i saw riches and opportunities everywhere. I inquired my our guide as to why the people didn't use the land and resources to better their circumstance. he said the mayan people are happy with enough to eat, a place to sleep, and clothes to wear... everything else was extraneous.

At first it puzzled me. Of course I was looking at it from a cultural and societal viewpoint. Here in America, and even in my own southern culture... we are or were taught to be industrious, never wasting, always using and building and improving... "if you have lands fence them, have trees...harvest them... have water...make a mill or a pond or create a wheel for energy"

Not so with the people there. they literally live off the land, in tune with nature and the resources around them...taking only what they need.

By the end of the week, i was coming around to their view. They had little to show, BUT they had little stress... were happy.

Ever seen "Office Space"..? There is a scene where a character says" One day I will have enough money to do nothing... I can go fishing whenever I want." The other replies..." You don't need money to do that. I have a cousin who doesn't have a penny, and does nothing all day long except fish."

That is the lifestyle there... If Tizimin had a beach... my wife and I would never have come home.

The Maya also are very religious, very charismatic Christians...they are not afraid to proclaim the word of God... they have churches everywhere...huts, cathederals, shacks, houses...everywhere... and when you refer to the Apocolypse... getting back on track here... they mean Biblical Apocolypse... not 2012 mayan calender.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

I wish the entire western world would come around to their way of thinking. Things would actually start to improve.

What do they believe in accordance with a Biblical Apocalypse? When do they anticipate this happening?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

If you actually look at what astrologers have said in the past, the belief that the Age of Aquarius starts in 2012 is very recent. Most astrologers believe that the Age of Aquarius actually started in the 20th century, with the 24th century being the next most common prediction. Even the International Astronomical Union believes that the Age of Aquarius won't start until around 2600. The claim that the Age of Aquarius starts in 2012 is used primarily by 2012 "researchers" and not actual astrologers.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

What you're saying is new information to me. As you can see from the info I've posted and linked to, it's the only analysis I've encountered. I don't believe that it's been debunked that the planets will be aligned on 12.21.12, has it?
I'd love to read the info you have. Do you have a link?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Feltrick
Seems tourism is driving the so-called apocalypse and not Nibiru. I wouldn't doubt that the Mexican tourism bureau started this whole 2012 thing to bring in that sweet foreign money to help thier economy.

After 2012 comes and goes with no destruction, what will be the next apocolypse hot spot?

Hey that reminds me, we havent had a Nibiru thread in quite some time now. Ever since Comet Elenin met it's untimely demise. Where are those people? Did they all go over to GLP?

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lyons666
I thought it had been recalculated to end on Dec. 24, 2011????

Arrrrg, thats only three days. If I had known that, I would have put a lot more on my credit card for Christmas !
Dag nabit.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Afterthought
If anyone is interested on what the Age of Aquarius represents:

adishakti.org...

Age of Aquarius: Age of Holy Breath
"This age will be an age of splendour and of light, because it is the home of the Holy Breath; and the Holy Breath will testify anew for Christ, the Logos of the eternal Love. At first of every age this Logos is made manifest in flesh so man can see and know and comprehend a Love that is not narrow, circumscribed. Twelve times in every revolution of the sun this christed Love of God is made full manifest in flesh upon the planes of earth, and you may read it in Akasha the wondrous lessons that these Christs have taught to man." — Dan Costian (Ph.D), Bible Enlightened

www.neptunecafe.com...

Many astrologers see a diminishing role for organized religion since we are collectively entering the Age of Aquarius and leaving behind the Age of Pisces. The shift from the last age to the next is certainly boosted by the transits of Uranus and Neptune in Aquarius as simultaneously the traditional concept of "God" is undergoing intense questioning.

When the moon is in the seventh house
And Jupiter aligns with Mars
Then peace will guide the planets
and Love will steer the stars.

This is the dawning of the age of Aquarius.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I don't believe that it's been debunked that the planets will be aligned on 12.21.12, has it?

The last big planetary alignment was in 2000 when nothing happened.

There are many alignments each year. The alignments can be found on all sorts of astrology web sites.

The only interesting alignment of 2012 is the passing of Venus across the face of the Sun in June of 2012. I observed the passing of Venus across the Sun in 2004.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join