It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London riots: Metropolitan Police raid 100 homes

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

That is exactly the point. Up until the riots and by the defination of the law, it was rioting, aiding and abetting, such people would have been taken down to the local nick, booked in, interviewed by the custody sergeant or duty officer and then given the advice from the on duty solicitor.

Then he or she would be cautioned and released without charge, only for that scrote to stick his or her fingers up at the police and we who live within the boundaries of Common Law. These people do not fear the law, its officers, the courts or its punishments. Why? Simply because in the past, these scrotes have got away with it.

Since the riots which spread across the country courtesy of Facebook and Twitter users, these scrotes are now reaping the whirlwind. They now fear they have been fingered by their own parents, neighbours and even their so called friends.

Now the boot is on the other foot and they are learning to dread the crashing of their door as a thumper crashes through it at 3.30 in the morning, when all good crims are finally tucked up safely in their beds.

I personally do not give a stuff how they have been identified, arrested or put in prison. For me personally, it is such a pity that Labour repealed the Riot Control Act, because there would have been a lot of dead bodies littering the streets!

But watch out you crims. The Police (and Army) do have the right to shoot those who endanger the lives of others. This is covered by the UK Laws of Engagement and is quite legal.

The Police did not use CS Gas, rubber bullets or water cannon during the riots which they were perfectly entitled to do. For me, that shows great restraint on behalf of those charged with keeping public order.

So now we have bleeding heat liberals bleating about CCTV and the sentences meated out to those who broke the law.

As the old saying goes, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!"

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Adyta

Originally posted by OwenGP185
Because guns are a solutions to mankinds problems...

Because racism is a solution to mankinds problems...

I am curious as to where you come from, let me guess you are in the US?

Guns can be the solution to some problems. If I recall correctly they were the solution to a rather unpleasant infestation a few hundred years ago.

Racism is wrong, I get that... but being jailed for it is even worse.

Originally posted by Revelation11
Let's be honest here England and America are just as bad as each other-With the second Amendment being false flagged and people getting offended because 'their not PC enough'.

Most in the Northerners still do own guns,but they don't use them...

Don't forget that the 'Americans' were the ones that wrote A BILL on it (NDAA).I don't even think North Korea does that,they just do it...

I'm still allowed to own guns, and the last time I checked the racist old man next door wasn't in prison. I'd say you are far worse off. Your northerners may have their antique blunderbusses, but how many people do you know that legally own a handgun, or assault rifle?

Shame the Indians did not have guns aswell then.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by OwenGP185
Shame the Indians did not have guns aswell then.

At least then they would have had a chance... but instead they were unarmed (when it comes to firearms at least) going up against rifles and cannons.

If it ever came down to it, Brits would be in the same boat.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I respect your concern, but do you know each and everyone of these people that had their homes raided? I doubt you do.

And as a non-resident, I am sure you know nothing about this at all, but you still have an opinion on it.

I'm sure there were some trouble makers, but the UK police have a habit of charging people with terrorist offenses over minor infractions.

Do they? Evidence please. Specific cases as well, not some "my mate said" nonsense. Once we know what you're on about, we can address it.

I have had various members from the UK pass this information on to me, as I have seen much documentation. I'm not saying there were not rioters, but I think you're missing the point.

Clearly you're missing the point. On the basis of evidence gathered, the Police will have ID'd those they want to arrest, they then go to a Magistrate to obtain a warrant which can only be granted with evidence. These people are suspected as having been involved in riots that destroyed property and endagered lives.

If they are innocent, or if the Police have the wrong house (which does happen)n then they will walk free and have the Police pay for the cost of cleaning up the mess. In fact, the Police have to pay regardless of "innocence" to secure the property after they force entry, but that's a side point...

The police coordinated a raid where they busted into 100 homes, this is as the police have just been granted special powers that people thought they would never exercise,

What special powers? They've just lost a lot of the anti-terrorism powers that Blair gave them. This 100-home raid could have been planned with existing powers, they don't need new ones.

I think this is just a warm up. I hope I'm wrong for your sake and the rest of you who live in the UK.

Warm up for what? Let me put this in perspective for you...

The latest report into the Summer violence and the Police response says that the Police need, at a minimum, an advantage of 3-1 in numbers in order to restore order and make arrests in a riot situation. They clearly had no control over relatively small crowds for several days until they mustered tens of thousands of Police from surrounding forces. There are only 150K Police in the UK and these numbers will likely fall over the next 5 years, so exactly what is it they are planning?

I really fail to see what is your hinting at here. Some iditos that burned down homes and business got nabbed and you're bitching about a Police state? Sod off, if they were involved they got what they deserved.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by luxbaclos1
But watch out you crims. The Police (and Army) do have the right to shoot those who endanger the lives of others. This is covered by the UK Laws of Engagement and is quite legal.

The Police did not use CS Gas, rubber bullets or water cannon during the riots which they were perfectly entitled to do. For me, that shows great restraint on behalf of those charged with keeping public order.

So now we have bleeding heat liberals bleating about CCTV and the sentences meated out to those who broke the law.

As the old saying goes, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime!"

Exactly. The very fact the Police didn't squash the riots immediately shows that there is no "Police State". The Police actually [b[fear public backlash because they Police by consent, not US style Law Enforcement. The whole fuss about the G20 and Ian Tomlinson made the Police so fearful they didn't dare raise a baton for the first 2 days.

Police State my arse. ATS, get a grip. More and more dleusional idots on this website and no seeming end to it. They wouldn't know a Police State if it smacked them in the mouth. If you want a real Police State, go look at NK or Communist East germany for how it is done, not the UK.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by angelchemuel
Let's not forget that these riots kicked off with the police shootig an unarmed man....which has been proven I believe.

Er, no, they didn't. They shot a guy in an operation to recover a weapon from a suspect known to carry them. Guess what, they recovered the weapon! Don't want to get shot by the Police? Don't carry a freeking gun!

All this bleeding heart bollocks over this guy just because his mum said "Oh, he was a good boy, never got himself into trouble".. I'm sure the Kray's mother thought the same as well....All the mums say that when some silly "gangsta" wannabe gets killed! Turns out, most of those mums knew nothing of their childrens activities!

Nothing has been proven, btw. The IPCC investigation is ongoing but they have confirmed the recovery of a "non Police issue firearm" from the scene.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by trustnothing
Sadly we are years ahead of America with regards to the police state, most CCTV covered country in the world I believe, no guns, terror laws being wrongly applied to increase detention times without charge etc etc

95% of CCTV is privately owned, as in shops and private homes. Only 5% is "Government" owned and is concentrated in city centres and motorways.

The whole "caught 300 times a day" thing trotted out on ATS every so often is from a report only I appear to have read in it's entirely, others seem happy to mis-quote things someone else said about it without checking facts.

Of those "300 times a day", most will be when you walk into a shop, garage or up someones drive. Nothing to do with the "evil Government" or a Police State.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
If you are that concerned about appearing on CCTV, being kept under surveillance by the police, security services, neighbourhood watch or whoever, you'd better stop behaving like a criminal, period.

On the other hand, you can acquire said footage from the authorities under the Data Protection Act 1998 and not the Freedom of Information Act, as some people have suggested.

Personal data is defined by the Data Protection Act as information that relates to an individual which is and is, held by any public body. If an individual wishes to be provided with access to CCTV footage of themselves from a public body they should make a written request to the owner of the CCTV system. At present there is a £10 fee for this service. Public bodies may not say that there is no footage and must provide proof that any images held, have been destroyed under provision of the Act.

Should this be YOU then you need to provide the following information: the date; the time; a full description of the person’s appearance and a full description of the clothes that the person was wearing.

A request should be made in writing, complete with an SAE and you should allow for the full 40 days to be used by the public body you have written to.

Hope this helps our CCTV phobic friends.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

And as a non-resident, I am sure you know nothing about this at all, but you still have an opinion on it.

I do have an opinion as I'm entitled to it. As a non resident, I do know a little about this though:

"Police have been given enhanced powers to act against protests at the Olympics since the Games were awarded to London six years ago, including the right to enter private homes and seize political posters. "

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I don't claim to know everything from your corner of the woods, but I'm aware of a few things, one of those things being that you're government has been overstepping it's boundaries for quite a long while now. I must add that yes rioters and looters are scum, but I think you're failing to see the connection between the special powers the authorities have been granted and their ability to act out on them.'

I know most people don't take kindly to foreigners having opinions of their country, but it's natural behavior. I can even relate to you. The same BS is happening here in Canada. The difference between me and you is that I don't let my nationalistic pride blind me and get in the way of my decision making process.

My country is pulling this crap too, and I'm not condoning it. Sure they got a few looters, but this has opened the flood gates for a whole lot more crazyness.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Wake up people , quote [ them looters are scum ] TPTB love the little people to be castigating there fellow citizens, while they carry on fleecing the general populus.
They rely on the moral compass of good honest people , who are law abiding to condemn the ones that break the law ...........GEEEZ when are members who castigate the law breakers going to wake up to the fact that banks and government are the real law breakers , the kids in London , Birmingham were having a go at what the bloody banks have been doing for years STEALING your money , then when you cannot pay the mortgage , they take items from your house via baliffs.
Wake up people , condemn the looters by all means , but as Max Keiser says , they are only emulating the BANKSTERS.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

I respect your concern, but do you know each and everyone of these people that had their homes raided? I doubt you do.

I'm sure there were some trouble makers, but the UK police have a habit of charging people with terrorist offenses over minor infractions.

Do they? Evidence please. Specific cases as well, not some "my mate said" nonsense. Once we know what you're on about, we can address it.

I have had various members from the UK pass this information on to me, as I have seen much documentation. I'm not saying there were not rioters, but I think you're missing the point.

Clearly you're missing the point. On the basis of evidence gathered, the Police will have ID'd those they want to arrest, they then go to a Magistrate to obtain a warrant which can only be granted with evidence. These people are suspected as having been involved in riots that destroyed property and endagered lives.

If they are innocent, or if the Police have the wrong house (which does happen)n then they will walk free and have the Police pay for the cost of cleaning up the mess. In fact, the Police have to pay regardless of "innocence" to secure the property after they force entry, but that's a side point...

The police coordinated a raid where they busted into 100 homes, this is as the police have just been granted special powers that people thought they would never exercise,

What special powers? They've just lost a lot of the anti-terrorism powers that Blair gave them. This 100-home raid could have been planned with existing powers, they don't need new ones.

I think this is just a warm up. I hope I'm wrong for your sake and the rest of you who live in the UK.

Warm up for what? Let me put this in perspective for you...

The latest report into the Summer violence and the Police response says that the Police need, at a minimum, an advantage of 3-1 in numbers in order to restore order and make arrests in a riot situation. They clearly had no control over relatively small crowds for several days until they mustered tens of thousands of Police from surrounding forces. There are only 150K Police in the UK and these numbers will likely fall over the next 5 years, so exactly what is it they are planning?

I really fail to see what is your hinting at here. Some iditos that burned down homes and business got nabbed and you're bitching about a Police state? Sod off, if they were involved they got what they deserved.

Ok you got him there, they do not have a habit of charging people with terrorism offences, they have a habit of arresting people on terrorism charges so they can hold them for 28 days rather than 24 hours, you know this as well as I do

They are also guilty of abusing their stop and search powers granted to assist terrorism prevention

here are some examples

londonphotographers.org...
www.oxfordmail.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by lampsalot

Originally posted by Panic2k11
reply to post by LondonerBLV

I agree but the blame is misplaced on the individual, the blame is on society. In its inequalities and marketing of consumerism.

I am against riots, but I find it so infuriating that the general public got so outraged over a few thugs stealing plasma TVs, like it was mass murder or something. Are we that tragically materialistic? Aren't there better things to get angry over?

Were you there? Did you see the faces of the shopkeepers whose shops were hit? 'Cause I did. The looters were and are idiots. The righteous offspring of ignorance and advanced capitalism.

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Droidinvoid

Well said.UK tabloid media has bamboozled the population against each other while the bankers walk scot free.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by trustnothing They are also guilty of abusing their stop and search powers granted to assist terrorism prevention. Here are some examples

londonphotographers.org...
www.oxfordmail.co.uk...
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Actually, you are wrong. They are not abusing their powers. If you'd actually bothered to read Section 43, you'd see that they are well within their rights as indicated below:

43 Search of persons..

(1) A constable may stop and search a person whom he reasonably suspects to be a terrorist to discover whether he has in his possession anything which may constitute evidence that he is a terrorist.

(2) A constable may search a person arrested under section 41 to discover whether he has in his possession anything which may constitute evidence that he is a terrorist.

(3) A search of a person under this section must be carried out by someone of the same sex.

(4) A constable may seize and retain anything which he discovers in the course of a search of a person under subsection (1) or (2) and which he reasonably suspects may constitute evidence that the person is a terrorist.

(5) A person who has the powers of a constable in one Part of the United Kingdom may exercise a power under this section in any Part of the United Kingdom.

For my part, not only did the police act correctly, but they also used reasonable force. After all, if the person involved was a terr, all the better to hemm him in to prevent him using a weapon. Would you rather have him shot out of hand?

Incidentally, it is the security guards who are at fault. Most of them are jonny foreigners who hardly speak the Queen's English, let alone understand the regulations they are supposed to enforce.

One further point I'd like to make. Where I work, the police use several buildings to train in and they also use the grounds for various scenarios. I have watched them conduct stop and search, drugs and firearms training and have been impressed by their high standards.

One thing that always comes across is that if you are a bolshy, gobby, little git, then they'll treat you like one with the appropriate force, especially if you start getting really stroppy and start struggling.

Always try to remember that no matter how much you dislike the police, they are just trying to do their job. That job, in part, includes protecting the likes of you and me against all threats - both real and imaginary.

Theirs is a difficult job made even more so by idiots who adopt a confrontational approach when stopped by the police.

Try and do what I do. Thus far, I have been able to talk my way out of two speeding tickets and one for not wearing a seat belt. If I'd have been confrontational, I'd have probably lost my license by now.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by trustnothing

None of those examples you linked to resulted in anyone even being arrested, let alone held for 28 days without charge. Everyone, in fact, was about the whole "thou shalt not photograph" police bollocks which was all sorted out last year as the Police were told they were overstepping their powers.

They are also about to have a lot of their anti-terrorism powers stripped anyway, including the law that allows 28 day detention.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Stu that there is an agenda here, reading between the lines, as it were.

First you have people moaning about rioters being identified by CCTV; then you have others moaning about their homes being raided at early o'clock and said crims being arrested; then even more people moan about these scumbags being sentenced to terms of prison which, under Common Law is justifiable and finally you have people moaning about Section 43 which, in all honesty, they probably haven't even read.

As far as I am concerned, you have nothing to fear from the police or security services unless you have done something wrong.

Incidentally, I used to be known as Fritz.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by luxbaclos1

Ah, Fritz! Good day to you

Indeed, I know I am wasting my breath as there are simply some very unhinged people out there that will believe whatever they want, despite the actual facts of the situation. I think some people genuinely want the UK to be a Police State just to satiate their fantasy, despite the fact it couldn't be any further from the truth. And yes, I doubt many here are actually familiar with the law, which ironically neither are many rank-and-file Police which is why we get them making mistakes.

But, work is slow and it's Christmas Eve, so I have to entertain myself as I am not sat at home in my pants, supping Bucks Fizz and eating a large pile of dead animals. Just remember me tomorrow, as I have to do another 12 hours then, so expect me to be sticking my oar in on ATS a lot!

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by luxbaclos1

I personally do not give a stuff how they have been identified, arrested or put in prison.

Well said. We are hardly talking noble political uprising. We are talking greedy, chavvy, little oiks. Should there be a breakdown in society in the coming financial meltdown, these are the scum who will prey on good people trying to survive.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I can see both sides of this argument, but I don't believe they are targeting anyone other than those guilty of looting and violence over those nights.

We've seen nefarious acts by the police against peaceful protest in this country already. They infiltrate peaceful protest planning groups, monitor them, and even raid them and make arrests based on "political ideology". This happened last year, and the police even used the words "political material" as the "evidence" found.

However, I feel that we would know about it, as in that case, and it would lead to more protests, if this were the case in this instance.

Until I hear of a peaceful protest group being raided and arrested for simply planning a march or protest, I'll support this idea that they should be raiding the addresses of those guilty of rioting and looting. I would rather they do this and force those people to face justice than continue with the implementation of more draconian laws which would affect everyone - although I still think they will, because they know what's coming.

As a person who watched what was happening in my country over those nights, I support the notion that each and every one of those violent thugs should be arrested and imprisoned.

I know others think that they shouldn't go to prison, but this is a make or break moment. If we are not tough enough on those guilty of it there is no incentive to not be involved next time. If we don't make an example of those charged with looting we are basically saying that they might get away with it, or that the punishment won't be anything to be worried about.

Those who ransack and steal from others, assault people randomly on the street, and put fear into law-abiding people over those nights should face the full force of the criminal justice system, and that includes imprisonment, and a criminal record.

Being soft on these people will be sending the message that it pays to destroy your own country and take anything you like from anyone. They are scum, and they deserve to be treated as scum.

posted on Dec, 24 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

I couldn't agree more. What makes our views even more pertinent, is the case of that little tosser who decided to watch Chicago instead of finishing jury service.

That he cost the taxpayer thousands of £s, wasted the courts, police and everybody's else time, was lost on the whinging phlebs who said he should not have gone to prison.

I include his parents in the above statement who, in my humble opinion, should have been giving him a damned good hiding instead of lambasting the authorities for treating him like the criminal he so clearly is.

Hi Stu, good to see you're alive and still kicking scumbags where it hurts!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join