It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Top ancient mysteries of 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I found this article fascinating.
It's a compilation of different articles from this year that are pertinent to the topic.

The list of things that were discovered or rediscovered this year is incredible. I'll show you a few examples below, but you must go to the article because there's so much there.

Do archaeologists ever get tired of delving into ancient mysteries?

I'm combining several different scientific disciplines in this end-of-year roundup of ancient mysteries. Archaeology has to do with studying the peoples of the past through an analysis of the things they've left behind, ranging from the bones of Ötzi the Iceman to the pigeon nests built in a cave near Jerusalem. Paleontology is the branch of geology that focuses on the fossil record left behind by bygone organisms, including dinosaur dung. And paleoanthropology focuses on our prehistoric ancestors and their relationships to other species.

Archaeology

- 11,700-year-old community center unearthed in Jordan

- Analysis of 2.2 million-year-old hominid's 'skin' goes open source

- Does tomb in Guatemala hold remains of female Maya ruler?

Paleontology
- Dinosaur growth
- Dinosaur senses
- Archaeopteryx
- New species

Paleoanthropology

- Humans left the trees 4.2 million years ago
- Upright walking may go back 3.7 million years
- 2 million-year-old fossils seen as 'game-changer'

View the Main Source Article Here (all other articles linked within)
edit on 12/20/2011 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Thanks for the read. Well put together.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I agree but any christian thinks earth only goes back like 2800 years or so dont they?

S&F for you!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
I agree but any christian thinks earth only goes back like 2800 years or so dont they?

S&F for you!

Howdy AllUrChips

Let be accurate here the Young earthers claim 6,000! years

However

On the second item of the list; I was wondering if that could be a stage? If so it would be the first at that age

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I didn't mention it in the above post, but this one was my favorite...

Someone gave that prehistoric dog a bone...

The remains of three Paleolithic dogs, including one with a mammoth bone in its mouth, have been unearthed at Predmosti in the Czech Republic, according to a new Journal of Archaeological Science paper.

They believe a human placed it there. Man's Best Friend even back then

In the case of the dog found with the bone in its mouth, the researchers believe a human inserted it there after death.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
A&LC is one of my favorite forums, and I wanted to drop a flag for you. I'll be back later to read and comment.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Very nicely put together -- haven't had time to read all the sources, but I have your post flagged so I can get back to a nice read through the sources later. Some of this is quite new (open source investigation of skin) -- and the enchanting picture of the Australopithecus hand (okay... I'm really into bones and anatomy. Y'all may find it gross, but I found it charming) really caught my attention!

Looking forward to any other material like this you find!

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Thanks for the read, very interesting.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
the only mystery i see is why people are still trying to find a missing link.

where's the alligators missing link. or for that matter, where's the chimpanzee's missing link. or the eagle, or the ant's or the any of the other billions of distinct species on earth.

if i told you crocodiles used to fly and had fur you'd laugh.

but there's as much evidence to prove that as there is to prove man was an ape.

to say man was an ape, used to have fur and swung from trees is ridiculous.

every species on earth is completely taken care of. no animal has to manufacture it's clothes, has to go to work 40 hrs a week, has to pay a mortgage etc.

i've seen horses in -25 degree weather gallop around like it's hawaii. all it has is short coarse hair for warmth.
i had multiple layers of sweaters and a thermal insulated jacket and i had to go inside after 10 mins.

and horses aren't native to north america.

the people who believe in evolution say that a species always evolves for the better.

how is it better to be completely naked. man is the only creature on earth that has to clothe himself or die from the elements.

man has to cook most of his food or risk death and illness from parasites and bacteria. again the only creature that does this.

man has to build houses to have shelter. most creature's just lay in a bush and sleep. and the ones that do build shelters, like beavers, build it in a few days and don't have 30 year mortgages. they also don't need power tools, electricity, and a trip to home depot.

then there's music, art, sports, emotions, love, crying, sadness. all these things are beyond any evolutionary necessity.

if anything, if you believe in evolution, it points to simplicity and efficiency.

the fact that we are so contradictory to the theory of evolution should at least spark a sliver of common sense that somethings not right there.

the theory of evolution doesn't explain why 2 hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom makes water. or why even water exists. our existence depends on much more than the ability to spark a fire. it takes the harmony of the entire universe to sustain our existence.

we look for proof of God. we are proof of God.

edit on 21-12-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Having gone from a devout creationist to a convinced evolutionist, I have now come full circle to the point where simple creation and simple evolution simply do not work anymore. We didn't spring from the dust in the Garden of Eden and we didn't fall out of a tree in Africa... or anywhere else.

We are, almost undoubtedly, the result of purposeful manipulation of DNA. God and ET have less and less space between them and all the bickering between Darwin and Adam has become annoyingly inane.

We are just not nearly as smart as we think we are, in either our religions or our science.

Just my opinion.
edit on 21-12-2011 by redoubt because: daned typos

edit on 21-12-2011 by redoubt because: more danged typos

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Do you realize all of these comforts you listed that Humans NEED aren't required to live... Also do you realize that some species only thrive in certain conditions and some can't even survive at all in others. Have you ever seen a snake living in -25 degree weather? There are plenty of things Humans can eat that don't require being cooked. Humans don't have to have clothes to live or even a house to live in. I have personally slept outside on the ground without a tent many times and i'm still living. I fail to see how listing the creature comforts than Humans have become accustomed to is any kind of proof of the existence of God.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

but there's as much evidence to prove that as there is to prove man was an ape.

edit on 21-12-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

But the science of evolution does not at any time say that man came from any of the (other) great apes.

Yet again a God squad member is arguing against a subject you have most obviously failed to research.

I'm glad the laughter has evolved from a past human trait or I would not be experiencing the enjoyment of laughing at you right now.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

These are all products of modern society. We could go live like Gorillas and be fine. People just prefer to build houses to live in instead of leaf blankets.
edit on 12/21/2011 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Uh....dude, they can trace the alligators ancestors back to before the dinosaurs and in fact it has changed very little except for shrinking in size due to food restraints. And to claim it flew or had fur would be moronic and worthy of laughter. Alligators are aquatic and thus wouldn't need wings and reptiles don't have fur.....

"the people who believe in evolution say that a species always evolves for the better.".......................................NO THEY DON'T

Evolution does not work in the linear sense that your ill-informed self seems to believe. It is not a straight line but more like a tree where many different adaptations develop. Some work and continue on, others die off. And before the time honored theist argument of "if we came from apes, why are they still here?" arises, I will break it down for you using as many small words as possible. Chimpanzees, gorillas, orangutans, etc are still well adapted for their environment, the jungle, thus they still exist. And contrary to some beliefs, we didn't come from them, but we do have a common ancestor that we all branched off from and evolved in our own way.

Our evolved intelligence has allowed us to live in places that we were not physically adapted to like cold weather environments where we need clothing of some sort to keep warm. In tribal africa or the amazon, humans wear little or no clothing at all and build their homes out of plant material or dried mud, and most certainly don't have a mortgage, lol. And many still eat raw meat as our ancestors did before we developed cooking techniques. Cooking btw, does kill parasites (that ALL animals can get) but also allows meat to last longer and also increases the caloric value of the meat which makes it advantageous.

The majority of your examples like mortgages, art, 40 hour workweeks are a product of civilization(for better or worse), NOT evolution. And ironically, due to the high levels of stress, medication, and general unhappiness that many people live with in our "civilization", one could argue that we are not physically or mentally adapted to the fast pace of modern life. But that is a whole other discussion.

Bottom line, your argument is invalid.
edit on 21-12-2011 by itsatrap because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune
On the second item of the list; I was wondering if that could be a stage? If so it would be the first at that age

I think it is perhaps more likely to be a cella, but possible one of the first of those.

But as I am sure you know, what one might call a cella, a Priest often uses for a stage

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Oh and sorry to rant in your thread freakjive, the article is extremely interesting and keep up the good work! S&f

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think how efficient many animals are when it comes to ridding their body of waste "Plop and Go" so to speak.

I know my dog very rarely has to clean her bum, At least I very rarely see her doing so.

Humans however have created a whole industry based on cleaning the nether regions of oneself.

I don't really know how to eloquently state my case here other than the upkeep of ones butt doesn't seem 'natural' when compared to the other species on this planet.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phayte
I don't really know how to eloquently state my case here other than the upkeep of ones butt doesn't seem 'natural' when compared to the other species on this planet.

So why do they lick it if not to clean it?

Haha...don't answer that....
...rhetorical.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

S&F for you!

Really? That has got to stop. I don't recall anywhere where that is stated.

It is unwise to insist upon a literal interpretation of figurative statements of which the inaccuracy may, at any moment, be rendered evident by the progress of scientific discovery; but the fundamental propositions of religion, so far from having anything to fear from the discoveries of science, are strengthened and ennobled by being brought into harmony with those discoveries. And it is only when the religious sentiment shall have been enlightened by its union with scientific truth that religious belief, thus rendered invulnerable to the attacks of skepticism, will take the place of skepticism in the minds and hearts of men.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I do not understand why Christianity and science are always seen as mortal enemies. I for one am a proud Christian, however, I have no problem with evolution and believe that anyone who postulates the universe is only a few thousand years old is a testament to our broken school system.

Now that I got that out of the way, great topic. I am fascinated with archaeological finds that go far beyond mainstreams historical tramlines.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join