It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taxes for 160 million Americans are going up starting January 1

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Enjoy...

STALEMATE : House Republicans Reject Senate Payroll Tax Cut Deal, Will Go On Holiday Recess

The House of Representatives voted 229-193 Tuesday afternoon to reject the Senate payroll tax cut agreement.

Failure to reach an agreement by the new year will result in higher payroll taxes for all Americans. The stalled measure also extends unemployment benefits, and includes the AMT "patch" and the Medicare "doc fix" — all deemed vital to the economy.

No deal. That means higher taxes for the middle-class.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Well, talk about a choice with no options. What had that alternative been again? A short term extension to expire in a matter of months? Oh brilliant one there. That would have made people feel good for the headlines, but suffered more in the mess such a part-time change in tax law created than they ever would have saved.

They swipe crumbs off their table then sweep them off the floor before we can get to them...and we're mad. We never even seem to look up and realize the meal is still on the table and those are dems and republicans sitting at it together, smoking and joking and about how we little people actually ran for the crumbs in the first place.

...and the laughs keep on coming.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   

you act surprised , this is the norm of the Congress, anything good for the masses , goes down in flames, anything that makes us slaves or put new laws on the books, goes through with out so much as a boo.

+4 more 
posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has ignored Speaker of the House John Boehner's call for him to bring back the Senate to reopen negotiations on the payroll tax cut deal to extend it for a year, as opposed to a temporary two-month stopgap

Read more: www.businessinsider.com...

If you are going to quote an article...don't just quote parts that make you argument seem correct. The Repubs wants the a bill for a YEAR...the dems only 2 months. Reid sent them on vacay not the repubs. Nice job trying to inflame with untruths.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
This is one area/topic I haven't been able to keep up on..so what does it mean exactly? How much more will be taken out..(pretend your paycheck is 1516.80 gross - 1182.18 net /biweekly) What will it look like now? Does this mean no income/child tax credit from IRS come April? I'm totally confused about all this and feel so overwhelmed by everything else that I just don't understand all of it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
No surprise. I continue to lose money each year. It's #ing amazing that within the last 5 years I have gotten $8.02 in raises yet my paycheck only sees an increase of $300. My math says I make an extra $1302 a month...weird how that #ing works.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by bekod

you act surprised , this is the norm of the Congress, anything good for the masses , goes down in flames, anything that makes us slaves or put new laws on the books, goes through with out so much as a boo.

True that. But, this bill only kicks the can further down the road. Congress needs to offer up some real solutions instead of these band-aids.

Those solutions lie with the November 12 election.

Solutions = Ron Paul.
More of the same = Anyone other than Ron Paul.

Yeah I said it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
By the way, I just raised prices at my business and froze pay increases so I could break even again. This payroll tax increase will not come out of MY pocket because it's not there to take. It will come out of my CUSTOMERS'.

So next time some of you argue about how raising taxes is a good thing for this group and that group, remember this - YOU pay for it either way.

You actually pay for it TWICE - with higher taxes and higher prices at the store. Bravo to you.

edit on 20-12-2011 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by timetothink
Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid has ignored Speaker of the House John Boehner's call for him to bring back the Senate to reopen negotiations on the payroll tax cut deal to extend it for a year, as opposed to a temporary two-month stopgap

Yes lets get some accurate truth here...

The Dems put forth a bill for a full year...absent GOP demands for ...drug tests for the unemployed, higher allowances for mercury levels in the water, and the XL Pipeline circumventing the EPA.

The GOP voted it down.

THe GOP put together a one year bill with all of the above intact and sent it to the Senate, where negotiations started at Boehners bequest.

The Dems agreed to the XL Pipeline and a two month extension and to revisit the deabte next year.

Boehner declares it a win...85% of the GOP Senators vote for the bill and they send it back to the House for apporoval.

Cantor...who wants Boehners job by the way...drops the bombshell on Boehner that he and his TP caucus will not support the bill. Boehner desperate to save face, start telling the media he doesn't support it, but wants to negotiate...

They ALREADY negotiated...this bill was it...Boehner approved it, declared it a win.

Even if the Dems returned to DC, nothing will satisfy the Cantor sect of the GOP, they simply don't beleive in extending the tax cuts for the middle class...every penny must go to the "Job Creators".

The rest is just a show designed to embarrass Boehner by a sect of Freshman looking to seize power.

Negotiate????...They just did that...and the bill gave the GOP what they wanted in the XL Pipeline...

89% of GOP Senators voted for the bill that Boehner first approved of and now even refuses to allow even a vote on.

What is to negotiate????

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
By the way, I just raised prices at my business and froze pay increases so I could break even again. This payroll tax increase will not come out of MY pocket because it's not there to take. It will come out of my CUSTOMERS'.

So next time some of you argue about how raising taxes is a good thing for this group and that group, remember this - YOU pay for it either way.

You actually pay for it TWICE - with higher taxes and higher prices at the store. Bravo to you.

edit on 20-12-2011 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

Ya that sucks the big one doesn't it.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The republicans couldnt care less. As long as they prevent having the wealthy pay their fair share, they consider their work done.

They couldnt care LESS about the middle-class. They couldnt care LESS about you and I and the ALREADY BURDENED average American citizen.

So long as they protect the wealthy.

The rest of us they throw under the bus.

Anyone who is NOT wealthy and votes republican is in SERIOUS need for a head-exam.

edit on 20-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

5% tax increase for folks making over 1,000,000...."HELL NO!"
5% tax increase for everyone else........"HELL YES!"

Gotta pay for those bush era tax breaks for Millionaires somehow.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
why all the butthurt and whining?
don't pay taxes, period.

simples

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Until we stop burning through stacks of debt notes our taxes will continue to increase.

2%, 5%, 10% or even 50% are all meaningless numbers. The burden will continue to rise year after year until this monstrosity collapses.

Bickering over how quickly that burden rises is foolish.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

what you are saying is 100% true, it is what Herman Cain was trying to address with his 9-9-9 plan.....get rid of all those hidden taxes.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5
Yes lets get some accurate truth here...

The Dems put forth a bill for a full year...absent GOP demands for ...drug tests for the unemployed, higher allowances for mercury levels in the water, and the XL Pipeline circumventing the EPA.

The GOP voted it down.

THe GOP put together a one year bill with all of the above intact and sent it to the Senate, where negotiations started at Boehners bequest.

The Dems agreed to the XL Pipeline and a two month extension and to revisit the deabte next year.

Boehner declares it a win...85% of the GOP Senators vote for the bill and they send it back to the House for apporoval.

Cantor...who wants Boehners job by the way...drops the bombshell on Boehner that he and his TP caucus will not support the bill. Boehner desperate to save face, start telling the media he doesn't support it, but wants to negotiate...

They ALREADY negotiated...this bill was it...Boehner approved it, declared it a win.

Even if the Dems returned to DC, nothing will satisfy the Cantor sect of the GOP, they simply don't beleive in extending the tax cuts for the middle class...every penny must go to the "Job Creators".

The rest is just a show designed to embarrass Boehner by a sect of Freshman looking to seize power.

Negotiate????...They just did that...and the bill gave the GOP what they wanted in the XL Pipeline...

89% of GOP Senators voted for the bill that Boehner first approved of and now even refuses to allow even a vote on.

What is to negotiate????

And that, folks, is the complete story of how something already agreed upon suddenly failed to get the votes needed. All but 10 GOP Senators voted for the 2 month bill, it was all but a done deal in the House and then a brief moment of Congressional bipartisanship was quickly destroyed for no reason whatsoever.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Just what a struggling economy needs.

MORE TAXES!

Washington, you are doing a great job at ruining our country!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
1st of all the middle class tax cuts were from the Bush era....Obama was forced into extending them 2 years ago and all of a sudden history was rewritten and viola! The bush cuts never happened and they were Obamas middleclass tax cuts. Just like in the book "1984"...throw enough bs around and people actually do forget what happened in previous years. 2nd of all...the repubs want to know how all these middles class tax cuts are going to be paid for...shame on them for expecting something to be paid for and not just pushed aside for someone 10 years from now to worry about. meanwhile O and his bimbo go on their $4 million plus Christmas Vacation.....National Lampoon has nothing on this country.

PS...according to the ridiculous tax code even though the rich "pay" a higher percentage (in case everyone forgot, the more you make the higher the % of your taxes, 35% usually) they save more because of loopholes and deductions....quit blaming the rich and get rid of the IRS....flat or fair tax is the only way the rich will not get out of paying taxes. Geez I feel like a freakin broken record.
edit on 20-12-2011 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

edit on 20-12-2011 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I thought this wasn't what the Tea Party was about?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

What exactly is your question...I will try to help.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join