It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When does a joke go too far for you?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Are there certain jokes you don't find funny and offensive?

What gets your blood pressure rising?

Is everything allowed in humor, and is the truth sometimes spoken in jest?

Most comedians today seem to have little boundaries, I suppose on the pretext that one can leave if one finds the show offensive.

Is it race, sexuality or religion for you?

Where do you draw the line?
And what about blasphemy - does God have a sense of humor?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I will tell you what really got me P.O.'d... Fake lottery tickets. My brother and sis in law got me some for a birthday a few years ago. I scratched off a 5k winner. Man i was mad afterwards...
edit on 19-12-2011 by darkwingduck because: sp

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by darkwingduck

Well you know what they say:
LOTTO
losing often to terrible odds.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

I would say most jokes are harmless if the person telling them does it with the correct approach.

Pranks however are different, this type is harmless and I would say pretty amusing but some would say that can cause a heart attack...

However this takes it too far I think...

Im betting some still laugh though.

edit on 19-12-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
When it gets personal

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Only when it is racist or bigoted, or harms someone emotionally or physically...in short, at someone's expense. The NUMBER ONE thing is when I see a type of self depreciating humor. By that, I mean like old Richard Pryor comedy. I was at a friend's house, and they put on an old "comedy" routine of his, and it really astounded me. He referred to himself and all of his race as "N's" and just basically trashed his whole race. Like he was playing to the white audience at the time (at a very racist time), and his EYES looked sad as he was trying to be "funny". He was just mimicing racial sterotypes of the racist times, and people thought it was hilarious! I was sitting there feeling embarrassed for him.....that's the kind of humor I hate.

edit on 12/19/2011 by StealthyKat because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I'll find humour at the expense of just about anything or anyone, myself included... comedians in general crack me up no end - however, if it includes sexual innuedo involving a minor - the line has been crossed.

Another area I fail to find humour, is at the expense of physically or mentally impaired people... grrr!!
This guy may be an exception though.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I like good, maybe even cruel, humour where a comedian picks a legitimate target and hits the mark. My idea of a legitimate target is someone in the public eye who is lousy at their job, or corrupt, and making life a misery for the rest of us. They deserve to be lampooned and are big enough to answer back.

I don't mind blatant filth, if it's funny. I can't abide smut and innuendo that suggests that sex is dirty and to be laughed at. Laugh at sex by all means, but don't make it out to be something to be snickered at and in some way taboo to discuss.

I can remember being about seventeen and hearing someone using an expression that I didn't understand, so I asked what it meant. All they had to say was something like 'it means bonking' but no, several (middle aged) people got on my case and accused me of trying to pretend that I didn't know anything about sex.

I don't like humour that just picks on people because they are, in some innocent way, different from the 'rest of us'. Have a laugh at annoying stereotypes if you must, but don't try to get a cheap laugh out of the weak and defenseless.

On a personal level I don't mind people laughing with me. I often make a joke at my own expense, I know my faults and will quite happily send myself up. What I don't appreciate is someone taking the opportunity to laugh AT me - that's quite different from laughing along with my joke. That's just a coward's way of getting in an unwarranted dig.

edit on 19-12-2011 by berenike because: thought I had something more to say - I hadn't

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
DON'T WATCH IF YOU ARE EASILY OFFENDED

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I have a sense of humor don't get me wrong. But what really "grinds my gears" is when someone has a HUGE ego and they think they are somehow infallible and they think the world moves around them. Jokes really don't get to me, it's the cocky attitudes that really pi*ses me off. Just saying.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Explanation: S&F!

When a thread on "Ron Pauls Sex Tape!" gets posted elsewhere and then after many members post to it ... that it gets MOVED WITH NO NOTICE to the offtopics Jokes Forum instead of the Hoax bin [for political trolling] and late comers to the thread get the WRONG impression because of the type ofForum where the thread now resides!

That's when a "joke' goes too far for me ... because it results in members appearing foolish through no fault of their own [the fault lies with the ATS mod's who moved it with out making the move either obvious or discernable etc. ie it goes to transparency
]

Personal Disclosure: IMO all thread moves should be noted by mod edit in the OP. Makes sense yes?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaLogos

Explanation: S&F!

When a thread on "Ron Pauls Sex Tape!" gets posted elsewhere and then after many members post to it ... that it gets MOVED WITH NO NOTICE to the offtopics Jokes Forum instead of the Hoax bin [for political trolling] and late comers to the thread get the WRONG impression because of the type ofForum where the thread now resides!

That's when a "joke' goes too far for me ... because it results in members appearing foolish through no fault of their own [the fault lies with the ATS mod's who moved it with out making the move either obvious or discernable etc. ie it goes to transparency
]

Personal Disclosure: IMO all thread moves should be noted by mod edit in the OP. Makes sense yes?

Yes is does make sense.
Couldn't agree more!

-SAP-

top topics

join