It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indonesian punk rockers detained and shaved by police.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
So last night when i found out about what was going on in Indonesia with the punk rockers there made me sad. I myself LOVE punk music for a couple of reasons besides the message it tries to send out. I don't dress like a punk myself but i do have a few friends that have patched up jackets, pants and sweaters but nothing "too" hardcore. (eg. big mohawks, facial piercings")
I don't know how you guys view the punk scene but I LOVE IT.
Punk isn't dead.

Police in Indonesia's most conservative province have stripped away body piercings and shaved off mohicans from 65 youths detained at a punk-rock concert because of their perceived threat to Islamic values. The teens and young men were also stripped of dog-collar necklaces and chains and then thrown in pools of water for "spiritual" cleansing, the local police chief, Iskandar Hasan, said on Wednesday. After replacing their "disgusting" clothes, he handed each a toothbrush and barked: "Use it." It was the latest effort by authorities to promote strict moral values in Aceh, the only province in this secular but predominantly Muslim nation of 240 million people to have imposed Islamic laws. Here, adultery is punishable by stoning to death, gay people have been thrown in jail or lashed in public with rattan canes, and women must wear headscarves.

LINK

MORE PICTURES

AND I LEAVE YOU GUYS WITH ONE OF MY FAVORITE PUNK SONGS...

LYRICS
We won't take any # and we're not about to leave
Just cause you don't like who and what we want to be
Who are you to say what's wrong what's right
If it's what it takes, we're ready to fight
Ready to fight, ready to fight
Ready to fight, fight, fight, fight, fight

edit on 18-12-2011 by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-12-2011 by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Go Islam! It must just be coincidence that people under Islamic rule are constantly treated like sub humans. I do however find it mildly amusing that police shaved them.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Yeah i saw this on tv. Ain't no live and let live whereever the islam is. Pretty sad cuz i do believe that mohammed was a man of love and peace and not this bullsh*t what we see today hiding behind religion.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
im not gonna lie i don't really know much about islam( mostly calvinism and eastern religion) but it seems to breed the most suppressive societies

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Would you find it mildly amusing if police grabbed you and shaved you? Or what if punks grabbed you and pierced and tattoed you?

It works both ways, people should be allowed to express and believe in what they want without persecution aslong as it dosent harm others!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
That's crazy. Most of them didn't even look that "punkish". I've seen wayyyy more radical "punks" at Warped Tour. Sad they were considered a threat, they don't even look dangerous.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Annunak1

Pretty sad cuz i do believe that mohammed was a man of love and peace and not this bullsh*t what we see today hiding behind religion.

The life of their Prophet Mohammed was anything but peaceful and loving, quite the contrary in fact. Robing and murdering people was his way of peace and love. All justified if they did not convert and follow Allah and his "Prophet". Kind of sounds like the status quo of today.

I really wonder what the threat was from the guy with the blond streaks in his hair was? Then again, maybe having blond streaks in your hair is a fashion statement that the officials just can't handle. Personally, only one of them looked like a punk with semi spiked hair in the pic and even that is pushing it. Chalk it up to another one of Islams phobias.
edit on 12/18/2011 by pstrron because: Add content

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Reminds me of that Iraqi metal band that had to flee their country because their fellow Muslims were threatening to kill them for wearing Metallica t-shirt and playing metal music on instruments instead of doing whatever they wanted these guys to do.

top topics

join