It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crashed drone was looking at Iran nuclear sites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   

Crashed drone was looking at Iran nuclear sites

security.blogs.cnn.com

The Sentinel drone that crashed in Iran last week was on a surveillance mission of suspected nuclear sites in the country, U.S. military officials tell CNN.

Previously, U.S. and NATO officials had said the drone was on a mission to patrol the Afghan-Iran border and had veered off course.

The officials say the Afghan government was unaware of the use of its territory to fly surveillance drones over Iran, and that the CIA had not informed the Defense Department of the drone's mission when repor
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Thats crazy stuff. The CIA is flying drones over Iran and is saying that they will continue to do so. They just do it without notifying anyone whenever they so desire.

I wonder if they will start doing drone strikes, now that they have the new armed model thats supposed to be more advanced than the RQ-170? I wonder what Iran's response will be?

security.blogs.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Those explosions at the recent iranian bases may have well been covert drone strikes

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

I am not an expert on this, but I will give it a try.

Iran's response will be allot of "blowing apart" some loss of infastructure, a great deal of "WOW, I didn't know the US had that technology!!!!"

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Why fly a drone into Iran when you can use satellites with better clarity? Hasnt anyone seen the recent photos of the Chinese carrier and damaged Iranian base taken from COMERCIAL satellites?

Doesn't make any sense...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

I can't help but keep falling back on...... We gave it to them.

I can't place any facts or evidence... But, the way this has played out, I think it was intentional.

NOW, am not such a proud American, that I can't believe that it was shot down. The way the story has played out, I think this is a trojan "gift"

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clisen33
Why fly a drone into Iran when you can use satellites with better clarity? Hasnt anyone seen the recent photos of the Chinese carrier and damaged Iranian base taken from COMERCIAL satellites?

Now this right here is rational thinking. This ongoing talk about the drone is further pretext, propaganda and disinformation. We could have accomplished the same feat without the risk of loss of technology and the blatant disregard for Iranian airspace.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Clisen33

www.msnbc.msn.com...://www.abovetopsecr et.com/forum/thread786375/pg1 ats thread on the link above seems like they can blind sattelites with lazers if they see fit or at least did it once so that might explain the increse in drone activity

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   

we sent u2's all over russia during the cold war and at least one was shot down(Frank Gary Powers?) and i would assume we have been doing simaler things even before we have had drones so its not like its new behavior were just being a bit more open about it?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Satellites only have a limited range of things they can do. If you want multiple pictures of multiple sites, you'd end up having to wait for the satellite to circle the Earth, and then you can only move it so much.

If the drone failed on its own, and then ran an emergency landing routine, Iran would probably never have known of its existence.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Doesn't make any sense...
How are you going to detect radioactivity from a satellite?

You need detectors closer to the ground to get maximum sensitivity, especially since the nuclear installations may be underground, they could be very hard to detect. The drone is also capable of lot of other functions a satellite's not good at which have nothing to do with surveillance in visible light wavelengths:

RQ-170

On the basis of the few publicly-available photographs of the RQ-170, aviation expert Bill Sweetman has assessed that the UAV is equipped with an electro-optical/infrared sensor and possibly an Active Electronically Scanned Array (AESA) radar mounted in its belly fairing. He has also speculated that the two undercarriage fairings over the UAV's wings may house datalinks and that the belly fairing could be designed for modular payloads, allowing the UAV to be used for strike missions and/or electronic warfare.[11] The New York Times has reported that the RQ-170 is "almost certainly" equipped with communications intercept equipment as well as highly sensitive sensors capable of detecting very small amounts of radioactive isotopes and chemicals which may indicate the existence of nuclear weapons facilities.
Even in the case of the attack on Osama bin Laden's capture, changing the instrumentation package to video surveillance provided better images than satellites could have provided, however I don't think video surveillance was the purpose in Iran. The "highly sensitive sensors capable of detecting very small amounts of radioactive isotopes" seems quite plausible along with some of the other possible functions listed in the wiki.

Originally posted by freakjive
Now this right here is rational thinking.
Not really. Its a statement by someone who apparently didn't even bother to read the wiki on the RQ-170.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Because satellites don't have better acuity, and because they orbit the planet, not your target, and they're on a predictable schedule, and they don't linger, and they can't follow someone, and you can't do an offset to keep your sensor where you want it, and they're difficult to retask. ISR isn't about taking photographs--that's so 1960s. It's about continuous surveillance, with as many sensors as you can pack in an airframe.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
You need detectors closer to the ground to get maximum sensitivity, especially since the nuclear installations may be underground, they could be very hard to detect. The drone is also capable of lot of other functions a satellite's not good at which have nothing to do with surveillance in visible light wavelengths:

All of these are good points. Just wanted to add that it is entirely possible that the drone delivered a robotic device for monitoring radioactivity. That explains the need to land in Iran, with a possible failure to take off.

If they used a parachute, it would be impossible to destroy without attracting attention. Now, of course, the situation is much more dramatic than intended.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Now I don't know what to believe. I'm sure I was reading a thread on here today or possibly yesterday where they were saying that drone wasn't real.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
But wait, the drone is not real even though cheney and obama both said it was, no wait it is real but it landed in afghanistan and not iran, no wait it's made out of cardboard and the iranians used electric tape to glue it together. I wish people would make up their mind about this stupid drone.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Indeed, of course it was on a mission for Iran's Nuclear reactor, to think otherwise is naive

this is just further provoking, they send ""innocent"" drones into Iran, Iran shoots them down, further saber rattling and provoking, until one side makes a 'Mistake' meaning the US provoke enough to get Iran to do the smallest bit that would advance a 'Military Operation'

And The Globalist Agenda Continues,

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by MegaCurious
Thats crazy stuff. The CIA is flying drones over Iran and is saying that they will continue to do so. They just do it without notifying anyone whenever they so desire.

So? We been doing that since we made airplanes... U2 spying over Russia comes to mind

Great thing about drones is no one on our side dies if they get shot down... and the Gov has unlimited funds to make many of them

MANY as in SWARMS

And they are operated from Indian Springs here in Nevada by a bunch of kids with jot sticks playing War Games only they can go live

The concept"

Basically, you throw a ton of drones at an enemy and through sheer numbers overwhelm any defenses.

defensetech.org...

I wonder if they will start doing drone strikes, now that they have the new armed model thats supposed to be more advanced than the RQ-170? I wonder what Iran's response will be?

Lockheed Martin UCAV Sure Strike 2

X45C Armament capability

SEND IN THE DRONES
What will Iran's response be?

"HOLY S...!"

edit on 16-12-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
And they insisted up until now that they were "in no way spying on Iran", and that the drones were only flying over Afghanistan, etc. etc.
Liars.
Hypocrites.

And [remember] when Satan made their deeds pleasing to them and said, "No one can overcome you today from among the people, and indeed, I am your protector." But when the two armies sighted each other, he turned on his heels and said, "Indeed, I am disassociated from you. Indeed, I see what you do not see; indeed I fear Allah . And Allah is severe in penalty."

[Remember] when the hypocrites and those in whose hearts was disease said, "Their religion has deluded those [Muslims]." But whoever relies upon Allah - then indeed, Allah is Exalted in Might and Wise.

And if you could but see when the angels take the souls of those who disbelieved... They are striking their faces and their backs and [saying], "Taste the punishment of the Burning Fire. That is for what your hands have put forth [of evil] and because Allah is not ever unjust to His servants."

[Theirs is] like the custom of the people of Pharaoh and of those before them. They disbelieved in the signs of Allah , so Allah seized them for their sins. Indeed, Allah is Powerful and severe in penalty.

Q, 8:48-52

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by sHuRuLuNi

There were rumors of someone saying "It was flying over Afgh."

While you are so quick to throw your facts out there, could you be so kind, to please provide the US Govt. saying "We were NOT spying on Iran"

Dont miss this question above.

Provide sources, of US Govt. saying "We were not spying on Iran"

Again, don't forget to address the above question.

Please and thank you in advance.

There were TONS of reports coming out, from anonymous sources, that all had a different account.

It is just easier to say the US was lying (with no proof) .....

AND to be frank..... I don't want our Govt. to start admitting to everything they do. There MUST be some sort of strategy, when it comes to releasing information to the public.

Why do you feel they needed to immediately tell the whole story? I would rather they get all the info before releasing info. Lets say they accidentally got it wrong and genuinely slipped up, you would have some mentally challenged do gooders running around the internet holding them to their initial report, while calling them liars.

"THE US HAS NO RIGHT TO INVADE IRANIAN AIRSPACE"

I for one would like our Govt. to have ALL of the necessary information, instead of just taking the IDF's information as the written truth. If it means a few people getting mad at us, for spying, I'm ok with that.

These drones MIGHT prove that they ARE NOT making weapons. The US is going to be in a rough position, if they back a bombing run, only to find out they were NOT attempting to make a bomb.

If we were sure they were building a bomb, and dead set on bombing them back to bedrock, they wouldn't still be spying... They would be drafting the official plan.

edit on 16-12-2011 by MobiusUnleashed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Here ya go: www.abovetopsecret.com...

Complete with pictures of how small this carrier is compared to others.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join