It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

200 Hippos Die Of Anthrax in Uganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Some 60 hippos have died mysteriously in Uganda. They don't know why they died. They don't appear to have died from any viral infection.

Newsday: Some 60 Hippos Die Mysteriously in Uganda

KAMPALA, Uganda -- Some 60 hippos have died from an unknown cause in the past two months in one of Uganda's national parks, an official said Tuesday.

Preliminary analysis by scientists from the state-run Makerere University suggests the dead hippos did not have a viral infection, said John Bosco Nuwe, the chief warden of Queen Elizabeth National Park where the deaths occurred

"The animals just fall down and die," Nuwe told The Associated Press. "Veterinary doctors are working out the cause of the deaths of these hippos. Saliva oozes out from the sick and dead ones.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Very sad...
Another example of "mass-deaths" of animals. What's going on?

Updated the title - About 200 hippos have died of Anthrax

[edit on 2006/4/25 by Hellmutt]

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Couldn't it be some type of disease? There hippos might have been exposed to poor conditions. It is a real tragedy.

But we must look on the brighter side. These hippos who have died will help scientists analyze the problem and possibly save human lives.

God bless those hippos. Every one of them!

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I just saw a newsreport (norwegian) that 170 Hippos have died in Uganda.
And that the reason was ANTHRAX!

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Is it known how they were exposed to the anthrax? This is terrible. Poor hippos.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The article is very short.
Norwegian article from NRK
It says that it was discovered by german scientists, that water-buffalos have died too but they`re unsure if it was anthrax that killed those.
When I get more time, I`ll try find an english source. Right now I can`t see it on BBC...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Here`s an english article.
news.xinhuanet.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Big deal. Anthrax spores are naturally found in the soil and outbreaks happen all the time. If the hippos had died from exposure to mustard gas, then I would take notice...

top topics

join