It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists Die First

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
The most interesting aspects of these sorts of claims (like healing with prayer and such) is that it doesn't seem to matter _what_ you believe. You can be a christian, jew, muslim, hindu, shintoist, buddhist, wiccan, or satanist, and it all seems to come out the same.

To me, this clearly implies that the physical act of belief and the biological processes that encode that belief are what's important, not which invisible man in the sky you choose to believe in.

When I've brought this point up to the scary jesuspeople types harping on about the reality of prayer, they generally just got really uncomfortable and started shouting.

Belief is existentially comforting. A person whose being is comforted is likely to be healthier. This doesn't seem surprising to me. It's just a shame that "belief" is a kind of thinking that's guaranteed to lead to wrong conclusions. I'll stick to my faithlessness and reason, all the same, and find my comfort in things I can see, such as my friends and family.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

Hydroman

Yes, that's the only Japan I'm aware of. Why?

That's an easy one Hydro. Just making sure all the facts were being considered when the other member made the post. Kudos to you for your restraint from posting an obvious assumption. Never a good idea on the web.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astyanax
I’m not going to bother substantiating this, because it’s actually quite well established and no-one really contests it. There have been several studies. The results check out.

Thanks. I still find it misleading.

Yes - there are fatalists. But - there are also Spiritual Atheists.

I think there are probably more Spiritual Atheists today then Hard Core.

Just because one does not believe in a god (religious version) - - does not mean one does not believe consciousness continues in some form.

One thing that still amazes me is - - - God believers fear death. You would think they would welcome it. I think its more about them feeling "the judgement". They actually fear God - - instead of welcoming being received by God.. Atheists don't. Even Spiritual Atheists who do believe consciousness continues in some form don't fear death - because they do not fear judgement.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Probably because church leaders are always asking for donations from their constituents, allowing them better healthcare.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
Probably because church leaders are always asking for donations from their constituents, allowing them better healthcare.

No Lie!

Some churches are renowned for listing "most faithful" by how much they donate.

Catholics especially.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
This thread went to athiests dying first to something about Japan and monkeys?

The lady & the video is fake. She doesn't have a license. Case closed.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas

Isn't she just reporting on a study?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinquain

I believe in a higher power, I just feel that organized religion is pretty messed up. But that's just me lol

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman
I don't remember anything before I was born, it will probably be the same after I'm gone.

That's because you didn't have a brain before being born ^^. I don't think awareness/consciousness can die, and in death I doubt we cease existing; of all the things which you know of in the universe, can you name one thing that simply ceases existing? It seems like everything is recycled (except plastic, lol), why would consciousness be any different?

Regardless, we don't know anything about death, we can speculate on it but we can never conclude what death really is.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandettas

Yes, and thank you to alfa1, who found that she doesn't have a license to practice psychology. Nonetheless she still made the claim on her blog - although this time she was referring to medical studies, that those who are trying to survive will stand a better chance if they have faith in a higher power.

I do still find it an interesting concept, particularly if it is regarding medical studies. I absolutely believe that having faith in ourselves is important, but I don't think that this alone will get us through say, a terminal illness. Obviously science at some point will have to step in and give us the treatments that we otherwise wouldn't have a chance at surviving without.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Good point.
Pray for your survival,or do something about it.
What do you think the outcome would be if you went down on your knees to pray for forgiveness versus actually doing something to survive the situation.
If you do not believe in yourself and your family,then believing in something "supernatural" is better?
Really?
edit on 14-12-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

If you have no faith then you are nothing but a walking corpse waiting to fall. Your life has no purpose other than self gratification.

By saying that you do not believe in God or Jesus Christ you in effect are saying that you should just go ahead and kill yourself, because youre going to be a banquet for worms anyways so why prolong your misery? Get it over and go kill yourself. Unless ofcourse youre afraid to die? Why the fear of death? Why cling so hard to a life you cannot keep anyway?

People fear death because they fear it will be their ultimate end and in many cases it will be. You can choose to believe in nothing. As for me? I choose to believe in Jesus Christ and to believe in the elders who saw him work his miracles and who also believed he was who he claimed to be. So, you can go ahead and die, but i choose to live.

Not everyone who lives is truly alive, and not everyone who is dies is truly dead.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChaoticOrder

Originally posted by Hydroman

Originally posted by randyvs
Um.... is that the same Japan as the one that has their nuclear reactors all exposed and threatening it's peoples very existence not only as a nation but quite possibly as a race ? Ya the one thats going to release monkeys
to go and test the radiation ? That one ?

Yeah ok?

Yes, that's the only Japan I'm aware of. Why?

Obviously that person is trying to say that Japanese people wont be living so long for much longer. That poster is actually implying that the Christian God is punishing them for their lack of faith. Just a little bit of a clean up, or a cleansing if you will. Such wickedness needs to be wiped away.

Such wickedness needs to be wiped away"
Really?Niiiiiiice...after that comment:

Hmm: Lets see have my bodily functions cease( gradually OR abruptly) ;drift peacefully Or even painfully off into non existence for the rest of "time" ....

OR Findmyself standing elbow to elbow with 100 billion Jehovah's witnesses; fire and brimstone baptists;Christians of all persuasions singing: "Hosanna's to the highest" for all eternity?? every waking minute? Sounds great ; I'll take door#1 thanks...
edit on 15-12-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-12-2011 by 46ACE because: spelling

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000
If you have no faith then you are nothing but a walking corpse waiting to fall. Your life has no purpose other than self gratification.

By saying that you do not believe in God or Jesus Christ you in effect are saying that you should just go ahead and kill yourself, because youre going to be a banquet for worms anyways so why prolong your misery? Get it over and go kill yourself. Unless ofcourse youre afraid to die? Why the fear of death? Why cling so hard to a life you cannot keep anyway?

People fear death because they fear it will be their ultimate end and in many cases it will be. You can choose to believe in nothing. As for me? I choose to believe in Jesus Christ and to believe in the elders who saw him work his miracles and who also believed he was who he claimed to be. So, you can go ahead and die, but i choose to live.

Not everyone who lives is truly alive, and not everyone who is dies is truly dead.

Regardless of whether or not you have faith, we are all just the same - as you put it, 'walking corpses waiting to fall'. Having faith, or a lack of faith, doesn't change that. It won't allow you a longer life or special privileges [as far as nature is concerned, at least]. It may make your time on earth here a little more bearable but really, that's relative.

'Get it over with and kill yourself' is a little bit of a drastic statement to make there as well, as the same can be said for most religious folk. The majority, if not all of, the religious people I have met believe whole heartedly that when they leave this world, so long as they have been faithful and true to their God, they will be transferred to a more beautiful heavenly world, to live with and worship their Father for all eternity. Eternal life in heaven. So what's the hold up?

Because taking a life is wrong? You don't have to have faith in a God or being of any sort to feel this way. I myself don't have a saviour that I pray to, but I do have morals. Of course I don't want to die, and I don't think I'm alone in that at all - it goes against our nature as living beings to want to end that. We all want to live a good life [again, relative] at best, and at worst, we all just want to survive, whatever that takes. In the end that is all it comes down to, whether you are a man of faith or not.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Oh,so other people and family are nothing.

This is precious.
A christian,I assume wishing that I go kill myself because my life is worthless without Jesus.

With such harsh words,it comes to mind that it is a reflection of your own thoughts towards yourself if you did not have "Jesus".
Would Jesus say or think those words?
What a hypocrite.

You just made my case against religions,you understand that,don't you?

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

I have morals,I have love,I have family and friends.
What more do I need.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by nixie_nox

No Lie!

Some churches are renowned for listing "most faithful" by how much they donate.

Catholics especially.

Oh,I forgot about the "score board".
Been a while since I visited the church,but ,yes ,buy yourself into heaven.
Gotcha.

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Wow is that so?

Then someone better explain this to my 93-year old atheist grandma. Always been one, always will be one, till she dies. IF she dies. Problem is, she's healthier than any of the rest of us...

posted on Dec, 15 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Wow is that so?

Then someone better explain this to my 93-year old atheist grandma. Always been one, always will be one, till she dies. IF she dies. Problem is, she's healthier than any of the rest of us...

Interesting, my grandfather was a Catholic that became an atheist, he lived to 86, but accepted Christ on his death bed.

Although I don't know how I would live without faith and the situations prayer has brought me through, I believe the creator sees the heart.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Stop Press!

I did a little googling, and it seems that the studies concerned were flawed in very basic ways. There is apparently no evidence that prayer improves recovery times from illness.

Efficacy of Prayer at Wikipedia

Spiritual interventions: research on prayer and healing at Harvard Health

Interesting article on the subject at ReligiousTolerance.org

Another pop-culture legend bites the dust...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Yet atheists still engage in charity, perform acts of heroic self-sacrifice, die for their country and labour unselfishly for the benefit of their children, their spouses, their parents and their communities. Can you honestly say such lives have no purpose?

By saying that you do not believe in God or Jesus Christ you in effect are saying that you should just go ahead and kill yourself, because youre going to be a banquet for worms anyways so why prolong your misery?

Life is as full of pleasure, love and joy as it is of pain and suffering. It is also full of fascinating things and people, of beauty, and of challenges that offer the prospect of honour and achievement. And I have noticed that however unhappy their lives, most people, given the option, prefer to live rather than to die. Don’t you find that a bit odd?

Get it over and go kill yourself. Unless of course youre afraid to die? Why the fear of death? Why cling so hard to a life you cannot keep anyway?

To have is not to hold, but that does not mean we cannot enjoy what we have while we still have it.

People fear death because they fear it will be their ultimate end and in many cases it will be.

Perhaps that is how the fear of death presents itself to you. Nobody likes to die – remember Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane? He didn’t sound too happy on the Cross either... But all that is quite understandable; not only is the process of dying unpleasant, but reluctance to die is programmed into us by millions of years of evolution. Self-preservation is a very basic animal instinct.

I choose to believe in Jesus Christ and to believe in the elders who saw him work his miracles and who also believed he was who he claimed to be. So, you can go ahead and die, but i choose to live.

For your sake, I hope your Saviour keeps His side of the bargain.

edit on 19/12/11 by Astyanax because: of nits.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join