It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists Die First

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Not sure if this has been made already, as I just came across the video this evening. I did a search on ATS so if this thread has been posted, my apologies! Also, if it's in the wrong forum, can someone do me the favour of moving it?

I was watching a video this evening and this came up in the Related Videos bar to the side, so I decided to give it a watch

At first I thought the title of the video was going to be misleading, but that seems to not be the case - Wendy Walsh, a psychologist for CNN, is saying that we have a better chance of surviving if we have a belief in some sort of higher power. In other words, ATHEISTS! YOU GONNA DIE FIRST.

I personally wouldn't go so far as to say I am a flat out atheist, as I do believe there is something bigger than us, but I don't particularly buy into or follow any religion - nor do I believe that there is one singular being that watches and keeps tabs on us, has his sticky fingers in our goings on, judges us, etc..

I am not entirely sure where I stand on this and I thought it would be interesting to discuss with others. My logical, rational mind will say that if you should find yourself in a situation where death is seemingly imminent - for example, being trapped in a car as it's plunged into icy water, dragging you down with it - there is no amount of praying or believing in something that will get you out of that situation. If you are unfortunate enough to not be able to find any way out, you will surely perish as your lungs fill with water, cutting off oxygen and eventually ending your life.

Then my more whimsically hopeful side will kick in and say mind over matter! If you believe it, you can achieve it. If you want it badly enough, your superhuman powers will kick in [because we all have them!] and somehow you will be transported outside of the vehicle and float safely to the surface, with little to no effort on your end. If you believe and want and pray badly enough, a miracle would occur to get you out of that sticky situation you found yourself in in the first place.

We have all heard the extraordinary cases of people finding their way out of extraordinary circumstances by chance, and coming out on top - but it seems to be just that - extraordinary. You hear about them because they aren't the everyday scenarios. I'm not undermining what we humans are capable of because I believe we are capable of so much more than we give ourselves credit for, but I think on this I would have to disagree that your level of faith will determine how likely you are to survive any scenario where 'surviving' is your first priority.

What are your opinions on this?
edit on 14-12-2011 by Cinquain because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Good point.
Pray for your survival,or do something about it.
What do you think the outcome would be if you went down on your knees to pray for forgiveness versus actually doing something to survive the situation.
If you do not believe in yourself and your family,then believing in something "supernatural" is better?
Really?
edit on 14-12-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Some people need to believe in something greater than themselves, something that can keep them alive even after they are dead. They do not want to cease existing.

I do not necessarily want to cease existing either, but I understand that this is life. I don't remember anything before I was born, it will probably be the same after I'm gone. I accept that. I don't need to hope in something greater than me to make me feel better about death.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982
Good point.
What do you think the outcome would be if you went down on your knees to pray for forgiveness versus actually doing something to survive the situation.
If you do not believe in yourself and your family,then believing in something "supernatural" is better?
Really?
You remember the parents who prayed for the survival of their diabetic daughter instead of taking her to get medical treatment? Sadly, we know that didn't turn out too well.
She could very easily still be with us today.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cinquain
Wendy Walsh, a psychologist for CNN, is saying that we have a better chance of surviving if we have a belief in some sort of higher power.

First of all I have an inherent distrust of "so-and-so expert said..." stories, so I'd really prefer to see if there were any numbers backing up this statement, if it is infact true.
So... off to see if this Wendy Walsh has her facts right...

Edit1 - according to the Board of Psychology she doesnt even have a license.

License Status: CANCELLED
This registrant may only practice psychology under the direct supervision of a licensed psychologist or board-certified psychiatrist.

Edit2 - there are various long running discussions about this video on other websites, and youtube, and *NONE* of them has been able to come up with any "study" which shows her assertion to be true.

Until told otherwise, I'm calling this FAKE psychologist a liar.

edit on 14-12-2011 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
We are nothing more than a sentient being ,and whether or not you want to continue on,it is not going to happen.
Enjoy the life you have now,cause when you die,the game is over.
Plain and simple.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hydroman

Good point.
Really?
You remember the parents who prayed for the survival of their diabetic daughter instead of taking her to get medical treatment? Sadly, we know that didn't turn out too well.
She could very easily still be with us today.

If I understand you correctly,the parents chose god,or their religious beliefs to help their child,versus,the medical advice of the doctor?
Than that ,to me,is child neglect.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I was actually expecting this thread to be misleading, but no, she really does say that, although she's referring to a 'study.'

But that's absolutely ridiculous. I can see the point in what she's saying, 'somewhat.' But it's funny, because I can't count the number of people that have died on account of their "religious beliefs."

Nobody hopes to be in a life threatening predicament, but I feel the most important thing under those circumstances is to believe in yourself, and believe in the possibility that you, yourself... have what it takes to overcome that situation. By any means necessary.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

Nobody hopes to be in a life threatening predicament, but I feel the most important thing under those circumstances is to believe in yourself, and believe in the possibility that you, yourself... have what it takes to overcome that situation. By any means necessary.

Some people need to believe in something to overcome adversity,others will rely on what comes natural to them to do that.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

If I understand you correctly,the parents chose god,or their religious beliefs to help their child,versus,the medical advice of the doctor?
Than that ,to me,is child neglect.
You understood correctly.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Reply to post by Cinquain

"if you want it badly enough, your superhuman powers will kick in [because we all have them!] and somehow you will be transported outside of the vehicle and float safely to the surface, with little to no effort on your end".

That was actually the atheist that saved you, and died doing so.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

The exact reason why I denounced religion many years ago.

I can't count the number of people that have died on account of their "religious beliefs."

Believe in one's self and you can achieve anything within your abilities.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I would like to know how they went about counting the Atheists.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

They were the ones who died.
They didn't have an opinion on the matter.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by iunlimited491
I was actually expecting this thread to be misleading, but no, she really does say that, although she's referring to a 'study.'

But that's absolutely ridiculous. I can see the point in what she's saying, 'somewhat.' But it's funny, because I can't count the number of people that have died on account of their "religious beliefs."

I agree with this because, as I said, I think we need to believe more in ourselves and believe in what we are capable of, rather than having faith in a bigger, better, more supernatural being outside of us who will step in when the going gets rough.

So to an extent I can agree with the content of the video because having faith is important - it's just where you're placing it that will make the difference.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

So,they could not speak their mind.

Guess so. Like my dad - - I was informed he accepted Jesus on his death bed - - by his ultra Christian step children. He did believe in God - - but he was a Deist.

Reminder of that - - wishful claim by believers - - Atheists all find God when they're dying.

You KNOW when a religious person is dying. They make sure God hears them.

How would you know an Atheist?

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Well, the longer a person lives, isn't it ultimately more of a tragedy when they die? Or does it matter one way or another?

If Atheists live shorter lives, does that mean God kills them at a younger age because they don't believe, so he can send them to Hell quicker? Why not kill them all as babies, then, since he knows they are going to grow up to become Atheists?

Do religious people live longer because they force themselves to stay alive longer in pain and decay to avoid having to face moral judgment by their Cruel and All-Powerful Creator Being and risk an eternity in burning Hell?

These are all very important and difficult questions.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Japan is an overwhelmingly atheist country, with the highest life expectancy on the planet.

So there's that theory gone...

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

So,they could not speak their mind.

Guess so. Like my dad - - I was informed he accepted Jesus on his death bed - - by his ultra Christian step children. He did believe in God - - but he was a Deist.

Reminder of that - - wishful claim by believers - - Atheists all find God when they're dying.

You KNOW when a religious person is dying. They make sure God hears them.

How would you know an Atheist?

I'm not an atheist,but agnostic.
It is not about a belief,but about just being human.
I would imagine that if I was on my death bed,I would be giving my love to my family and those I love.
I am so sorry for your fathers passing.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by vox2442
Japan is an overwhelmingly atheist country, with the highest life expectancy on the planet.

So there's that theory gone...

Basically what the point of the video was, I believe, that in 'survival type' situations - not just in general. Like the example I gave in the OP, if one was in a situation where your first priority was to survive, like a car accident or similar, those who don't believe in a higher power would be more likely to die first, rather than those who believe.

edit on 14-12-2011 by Cinquain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join