It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palestinians raise flag at UNESCO after membership approval

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

PARIS - Palestinians raised their flag at the headquarters of the UN cultural agency in Paris on Tuesday as its 195th member, a historic move and symbolic boost for their push for an independent state.

"This is truly a historic moment," Abbas said later at an indoor ceremony, his speech punctuated by rousing applause and standing ovations. He said he and the Palestinian people were deeply moved that their flag could join the 194 others at the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, headquartered in a massive concrete structure on Paris' Left Bank.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Appears as if full membership is on the rise. In the long run, I'm not sure what all would change? Sure, they will have an official seat at the council, have a say in world events.. But already UN condemns Israel for many of their current actions, so would a Palestinian vote on any upcoming "resolutions" really change anything?

I understand it's mainly for world recognition and not voting power.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

I understand it's mainly for world recognition and not voting power.

UNESCO membership opens up potential aid, as does full recognition to UN. As well it would possibly bring Israeli generals and government officials to trial for crimes they have committed against them.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
this reminds me of iraq lobster...
greatest song evaar

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I am currently in favor of giving them statehood so that Israel can treat the next incoming rocket as an act of war and deal with the problem once and for all.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
This is the beginning of the world saying "[SNIP] you America". You dont scare us anymore.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch
This is the beginning of the world saying "[SNIP] you America". You dont scare us anymore.
Sounds good. I support bringing all of our troops home, closing all foreign bases and ending all foreign aid except to Israel.
edit on 13-12-2011 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
so there is just one target left - iran...and during the struggle they'll smash palestina and all the nato/un will accept & support it...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
I am currently in favor of giving them statehood so that Israel can treat the next incoming rocket as an act of war and deal with the problem once and for all.

You again???

damn you never quit. Well likewise, I'm awaiting their statehood so that they can get some allies and declare war on Israel in retaliation for the 50 years of bull # they've gone through. You know maybe bulldoze them back a little bit...

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Where evil rises I will be there to point it out. Just because you drink the islamic/palestinian kool aid does not mean I must imbibe.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by My.mind.is.mine

damn you never quit. Well likewise, I'm awaiting their statehood so that they can get some allies and declare war on Israel in retaliation for the 50 years of bull # they've gone through.

The regions allies tried 3 times and even with all odds against them, Israel was the victor.

"To the victor goes the spoils"? Especially those wars they DIDN'T start.

top topics

join