It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK gun permits

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Hey guys... hopefully someone can answer my question here.

I want to know where i can get a gun permit, how much do they cost i know there are 2 type of permits yes? And what type of weapons would you recomend as a starter firearm. I would be looking for a pistol or maybe a rifle.

What are the laws on carrying a weapon in the UK i assume it would be illegal or can you open carry with a license in UK also.

In this day and age i would like to protect myself and my family in the event of any kind of SHTF... if it where to ever happen.

Cheers.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Im assuming its similar to Canada,

There is a restricted and a non restricted license.

Restricted are items like handguns and non restricted are generally guns like shotguns, rifles, ect for hunting.

So depending on what you want, look into the details at your local gun club.

Each license requires separate training in Canada,

-GM

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
You can't get pistol's in the UK as firearms that can easily be concealed are banned. You can get shot guns for sure, not sure about what else. You have to make an application which the police look at and visit your proprty, you have to have a gun safe and you have to have a mental evaluation. I think the license costs around £50

oh and if you have any kind of criminal record, you can forget it
edit on 11-12-2011 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vaxar
Hey guys... hopefully someone can answer my question here.

I want to know where i can get a gun permit, how much do they cost i know there are 2 type of permits yes? And what type of weapons would you recomend as a starter firearm. I would be looking for a pistol or maybe a rifle.

What are the laws on carrying a weapon in the UK i assume it would be illegal or can you open carry with a license in UK also.

In this day and age i would like to protect myself and my family in the event of any kind of SHTF... if it where to ever happen.

Cheers.

Not going to happen, with Hollyrood at odds with Westminster over this topic. The Scots govt. wants to introduce even tougher laws than the UK parliament.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The following are prohibited for civilian use:

Fully automatic or burst-fire weapons, including air guns.
Firearms disguised as another item (e.g. walking sticks, mobile telephones, etc.)
Rockets and mortars.
Air guns chambered for self-contained gas cartridges.

But of course it's like everything else in Scotland, if you want, you can get it

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Thanks guys. We dont have a local gun clubs in scotland i dont think lol

How much would i be looking at for a shotgun and where abouts can they be bought? Do i need to take shooting lessons?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
www.askthe.police.uk...

You find out how to get shotgun there

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vaxar
Thanks guys. We dont have a local gun clubs in scotland i dont think lol

How much would i be looking at for a shotgun and where abouts can they be bought? Do i need to take shooting lessons?

To go through the proper channels, you could try Victor Morris in Glasgow, they don't advertise weapons on their website though.

www.ukgunroom.com...

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaxar

You will find in hunting magazines and shooting mazgazines retailers for shotguns.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
uk gun laws are crazy tight, besides if you ever use the gun for self defense you'll be in more trouble than you can imagine.

I hate my countries backwards gun laws

to be honest your probably better off getting a crossbow, they have no license and are pretty effective if you know how to use one.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaxar

For air rifles the limit is about 18-20 Ft lbs for Adults.
For a shotgun you need a License and a safe box bolted onto your wall, inspectors will let you know if it meets the requirements.

link   
Al Capones pistol sold for $109,080 @ christies London

Here is a link to the Christies listing
www.christies.com...

Here is a link to a news article from MSN Phillipines
news.ph.msn.com...

ACCOMPANIED BY A COPY OF AN AFFIDAVIT SWORN ON 25TH MARCH 1990 BY MADELEINE CAPONE MORICHETTI, WIDOW OF RALPH CAPONE, STATING THAT "RALPH CAPONE BECAME THE CUSTODIAN AND OWNER OF A CERTAIN COLT POLICE POSITIVE .38 SPECIAL REVOLVER, SERIAL NO. 384221, BEING NICKEL PLATES WITH A WOOD HANDLE, WHICH REVOLVER WAS ACQUIRED FROM AND WAS THE PROPERTY OF HIS BROTHER AL CAPONE".

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/baf8e35d4fe9.jpg[/atsimg]
Here is a picture of the pistol for those who are link shy

So apparently the best way to get a pistol, in London anyway, is through an antiques auction.
Isn't it interesting that Christies London can sell things that aren't quite legal there.

David Grouchy

link   

Originally posted by monkofmimir
uk gun laws are crazy tight, besides if you ever use the gun for self defense you'll be in more trouble than you can imagine.

I hate my countries backwards gun laws

to be honest your probably better off getting a crossbow, they have no license and are pretty effective if you know how to use one.

Indeed, the Glasgow gangland weapon of choice

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by monkofmimir

UK law states that in self defence you can use minimum force. Minimum force can be killing somebody, if you or anybody else's life is in immidiate danger. So if somebody came at you with a maschette or a gun and you happened to have your weapon on you, then sure you can shoot them legally. But you would be arrested and there would have to be sufficient evidence to prove that your life or the life of a close by person was in immidiate danger.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Thank you for the info definitely helped, and the crossbow idea is great i might actually try and get my hands on 1 of those aswel as a shotgun.

I will look for some nice weapons and victor morris site thanks for that link looking at some bad ass guns just now.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by monkofmimir

UK law states that in self defence you can use minimum force. Minimum force can be killing somebody, if you or anybody else's life is in immidiate danger. So if somebody came at you with a maschette or a gun and you happened to have your weapon on you, then sure you can shoot them legally. But you would be arrested and there would have to be sufficient evidence to prove that your life or the life of a close by person was in immidiate danger.
Yeah thats under the human rights act isnt it?

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Vaxar

I am not sure to be honest. I learned it in my military days.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Even if you have a gun,you will have to keep it locked,unloaded. the ammo locked in a different box/room,and if its a rifle you have to have the bolt locked in a different secure area.
You have to have referee's (Doctor/MP/Boss)who will back up your good character,and no criminal record.

All is designed so that you do not kill people trying to bust into your house,or if your kids find a gun etc.

I only know this because my Dad used to be in a job where he could be a referee for people if they wanted a gun.
Most were legit farmers,but there were some other nutballs who gave crazy reasons to want a gun.
Obviously,they didn't get a gun thank goodness.

In my opinion,get a good midi sized fire extinguisher-powder type-in a bracket near your door.
A great duel use item,that puts out fires,and temporarily incapacitates people if they are trying to attack you.

And you won't get sent to prison.

I have personally tried and tested this method,and I have mentioned it before on ATS.
It works.

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
i once rang the police and asked about the law on owning an air pistol prefferably high powered because im sick of being robbed they told me i couldn't use 1 in self defence and if i did i would be arrested for posession of an offencive weapon with intent to cause harm .. so i said what if i just bludgened the guy with a bat or something they said its the same thing but harder to get a conviction because a bat is not neccesarily classed as a weapon but never the less the police would relentlessly try to get the conviction anyway and i said but the guy im intending to harm is a filthy burgular and the policeman said it doesnt matter who it is what matters is the offence the police will charge anybody with any offence they commit no matter who they are .. so i said what about charging the queen and tony blair with treason then for signing the uk over to germany in the lisbon treaty ?

he stayed quiet for a minute then said i strongly advise you not to buy an air pistol and put the phone down .

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Parksie

Air Rifles are limited to 12 ft/lbs max, air pistols limited to 6ft/lbs max. at any age...

Any more than this for either and they would need covering on a fire arms certificate.

Also, no self contained air-cartridge weapons, ie Brocock type guns - unless you already own one and have it on a fire arms certificate.

edit on 11-12-2011 by 42dragonfly because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-12-2011 by 42dragonfly because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 11 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by akapapasmurf

The police office has made the wrong assumption that you were carrying it on the streets or had it by your door. But say for example you were travelling to your shooting club then if you were confronted along the way by a gun weilding maniac, you would be perfectly safe to shoot him.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join