It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to Make an ATM Spew Out Money

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   
In this charming video, IOActive director of security testing Barnaby Jack describes the alarming weaknesses he has discovered in ATMs, and how they can be turned by hackers into a fountain of cash. He even hacks it so the screen displays a slot-machine-style "JACKPOT" reading as it begins to pump out piles of hundreds.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Interesting, glad I saw it before the threads closed.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

I don't see why they'd close it. It doesn't explain in detail how to commit any crime. It's a security professional talking about how he deals with certain vulnerabilities.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Why would they actualy expose that? That's hilarious. I guess that means I gotta buy a lap top
OK to TPTB, that was a joke.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I doubt the thread will be closed. It is interesting but the hardest part about someone actually doing this is physical access. That one key will open all ATM's from the same manufacturer is all well and good but you are going to look mighty suspicious if you attempt that.

I would imagine that remote access is limited to the bank only. (Firewall) I can't imagine these things just being plugged into internet for all to access.

Then there is the question of having the right software. I would describe this as a theoretical attack. Walking up to an ATM with a key and replacement software would get you noticed very quickly I think.

ETA A couple of years I went to draw money out and watched an ATM reboot. I was very surprised to see the Windows NT4 screen. Hopefully they have at least moved to a newer and supported version of Windows by now.
edit on 9/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The Security Professional is telling the world about the vulnerabilities, so they become public, and all of the ATM companies contact him to secure their machines.

Genius, really.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
reply to post by mileslong54

I don't see why they'd close it. It doesn't explain in detail how to commit any crime. It's a security professional talking about how he deals with certain vulnerabilities.

I like the video don't get me wrong and thanks for sharing but usually the ATS powers that be frown on illegal action being posted, I don't agree with it because it should be about freedom of speech, especially when it comes to finding the TRUTH on a TRUTH finding site! Peace
edit on 9-12-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
Interesting, glad I saw it before the threads closed.

Me too! What did he hit? Top left, top right, down one, over, etc?
He is probably pretty rich.

new topics

top topics

join