It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy D.C. Hunger Strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Source: washington.cbslocal.com...

Three members of a protest group calling itself “Occupy the Vote D.C.” say they are embarking on a hunger strike to publicize long-standing demands for full voting rights for residents of the nation’s capital.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that the three protesters will cease eating in support of aims they called “D.C. democracy.” Many District residents and elected leaders have sought full representation and voting rights in Congress over recent decades.

It was unclear whether the three protesters would accept liquid nourishment. The report said the three chose McPherson Square Park as the scene of their fast. That square and other sites in the capital have been frequent rallying points for Occupy movement protesters who have largely demonstrated peacefully despite sporadic confrontations with police.

Will this be effective? Will anyone care? Will it last past dinner time tonight?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I can hear the interview now:

CBS Washington: So you will not be eating or drinking anything until your demands are met?
OWS DC Member: That's correct. Absolutely nothing.
OWS: Except liquids, of course.
CBS: Excuse me? You will be drinking water then?
OWS: Well, yes. It's not really healthy to go without liquids, like Mocha Cappuccinos.
CBS: So water and coffee then. That's quite a statement!
OWS: And beer. Every Friday someone brings in beer. And pizza.
CBS: Will it be difficult to resist eating the pizza when the other protesters are enjoying themselves.
OWS: We'll eat the pizza, too. It's free, dude.
CBS: I'm not sure you really get the concept of a hunger strike.
OWS: We do. But we not going to starve ourselves. That would be dumb.
OWS: I'm manning the hunger strike today, from noon to 2pm.
edit on 12/9/11 by AnonymousCitizen because: corrected media name

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hunger strikes are pathetic, people in 3rd world country's have conducted countless Hunger Strikes and no change has come about.If you want change, drop whatever your doing and just eat to survive, they can't chase you for taxes if you aren't supporting yourself, squat in abandoned houses. Arbeit macht frei? how wrong they were.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
what is he too lazy to feed himself??? Does he need the gov. to feed him?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
What are their demands?

And why do they think that their demands should be granted to them outside of the current political process?

A hunger strike is basically saying you are taking your own body hostage and making demands...I think it is policy that the nation doesn't negotiate with hostage takers.

It's really one of the dumbest ways to protest.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Well it would be a good idea to garner positive publicity.

It would be good for them to spread the exact specifics of thier hunger stirkes of course.

I think that it wont accomplish much, until they start to suffer from lack of food.

If they died for the case it would then get alot of attention, but most people aren't willing to die for what they believe anymore.

I still remember the video of the man putting gas on himself, then lighting himself on fire, in protest.
That is resolve.

Change itsn't easy, especially since most, even here, don't care enough to do anything, just complain.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

I tell You... The answer is in electrogravitics. Free the Energy!

For more information, visit this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I have never really been a fan of hunger strikes being used to make a statement. Now, if you really want to get peoples attention hold a gun to your head.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Self-immolation goes a long way, it's something that propelled the Egypt riots.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

That's funny all three of them are going on a hunger strike?!? Is that all that are left of OWS 3?

I don't think it's effective, who cares if they eat I sure don't. It's typical of this movement just more childish antics.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Yeah or light yourself on fire, that seems to be pretty effective in the middle east.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Starving is their personal choice, not a right or a law, I'd rather just eat.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Oh well. 3 fewer mouths to feed with our limited resources. Too bad all OWSers don't follow this strategy. No food also means no public defecation. So its a win for everyone.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
People in 3rd world countries have been doing this forever. "im not going to eat until i get some food", they are still starving to this day. Hunger strikes don't really do anything.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Not to be Mr. One-Upper, but others have made far greater sacrifices in the name of protesting (as others have pointed out):

To be honest I don't think this will accomplish much. The corrupt elites that control our government and are ruining this country and profiting in the process don't give a damn about the people. Seeing people starving themselves in protest of their evil ways is almost doing them a favor. It will do nothing but give them sick pleasure in all seriousness.

Still, good for them for trying to send a message and at least trying something a little more drastic. This could however gain some nationwide attention, and give them a chance to spread their message to the people of this country in an attempt to rally more support for their cause.
edit on 9-12-2011 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   

So there demands are to make Washington D.C. a state then?

I wonder how this is going to work out.

top topics

join