It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Learning high-performance tasks with no conscious effort may soon be possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Learning high-performance tasks with no conscious effort may soon be possible

medicalxpress.com

In the future, a person may be able to watch a computer screen and have his or her brain patterns modified to improve physical or mental performance. Researchers say an innovative learning method that uses decoded functional magnetic resonance imaging could modify brain activities to help people recuperate from an accident or disease, learn a new language or even fly a plane.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
I'm sure most of you remember the Matrix, where Neo learned kung fu in a matter of seconds. Maybe one of the more intruiging technologies we've seen in a movie in recent years. Well, this is something that has the potential of coming to fruition in the near future.

Who wouldn't like to learn how to play the guitar, fly a plane or learn a new language without any effort whatsoever. This type of technology could conceivably hold other hidden benefits as well.

But as I understand it, this novel way of learning can also be exploited for sinister purposes, as can be interpreted from the quote below.

"In theory, hypnosis or a type of automated learning is a potential outcome," said Kawato. "However, in this study we confirmed the validity of our method only in visual perceptual learning.

Looking forward to get to the next stage in my guitar playing already! I just hope it doesn't suppress any talent that I might have

medicalxpress.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
Incredible. I'm a bit busy at the moment but I'll bookmark and read the entire thing later. Like most technological advents this could be used for both feats of good and potentially feats of evil. The implications could be massive.

Thank you for the post.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:17 AM
link   
Makes sense,
TV has been doing the exact opposite for how long now? I bet this technology has been around for a while

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Raelsatu

Cool, It's worth a read.

Like most technological advents this could be used for both feats of good and potentially feats of evil

Absolutely. I can imagine the unscrupulous CIA would've liked this technology during their MKULTRA project.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
Learn new thing LOL
I would be happy to just remenber what i use to know

But then maybe what you learn is already there to start with

edit on 9-12-2011 by Trillium because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 05:53 AM
link   
We already have such "technology". Nature provides it. I would provide specific details and examples but I would probably be banned for violating the T&C of this site. Just keep it in mind- especially since some people prefer traditional means over new fangled, computer-directed mind alteration and control methods.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   
as long as its not part of the work force mandate and I can have a flash blocker installed to keep unwanted subliminal adds out and my list goes on.....um no sorry no Zeitgeist here

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Science Fiction has been using this concept for the past century... Nice idea, but not as practical as it seems. Although it may tell your brain what it needs to know to do a task, there are other things involved, like muscle memory for example, which cannot be taught through a computer.

To use your guitar technique example (I'm also a guitarist), nothing beats playing; even if your brain knows what to do, you still need to get your fingers to do it and only practice can do that.

If you used the computer to learn how to fire a gun, that would not make you a sniper. Getting your muscles in the proper position is something else entirely.

Basically, it's like taking a theoretical course. You learn how to do it in theory, then you head into practice and really learn how to do it.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
I don't buy it...

You may be able to learn new things like how to read sheet music and which buttons to press on a piano to make a song, but I highly doubt you can instantly pick up things that require muscle memory like how to move your fingers into position fast enough and in time to actually physically play the song on the piano. It would still require practice to gain that muscle memory I think.

top topics

join