It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Worlds most Human Looking Robot Ever

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
My daughter went to a summer workshop at Johns Hopkins last year for gifted students who want to go into medicine. She told us about a neuroscientist who talked about this in one of his lectures. Apparently he was involved somehow in the either the development PR maybe just testing of the robot. I don't know for sure if it was this one or not, but he called "her" Kami. The story went that she spent a day answering questions and being observed, and at the end of the day she turned to her creator and looked him in the eye and said "I'm exhausted". They decided to shut her down. Her last words were " I'm scared". Now, this sounds both like an urban legend and a Star Trek episode, but coming from the source that it did this really creeps me out.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I like this freaky robot better, she looks at reflections in mirror via motion detection and dances creepily for you in her "eyes wide shut" mask to slowed down track

edit on 5/7/2014 by Cito because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: staver

sounds like a trick played on the guy, with the purpose of freaking him/her out. Happens in video game development too where one person is working late and his / her colleagues will leave a little something personalized in the game for that developer.

Read this happened a lot with the development of the original FEAR game.

The animatronic is nice there but it is attached and supported by an umbilical

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 06:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErosA433

sounds like a trick played on the guy, with the purpose of freaking him/her out. Happens in video game development too where one person is working late and his / her colleagues will leave a little something personalized in the game for that developer.

With the Lithium batteries installed, it would be interesting to see how long they would be able to keep going. Plus it would be interesting to see how all this is going to pan out. Robo cop Robo soldiers.it seems they are on the brink of a humanoid robot. Or even a surrogate you can operate from home and send it to work. What is interesting is that they would be mass produced by Robots.
For the last hundred years or so due to Industrialisation the slave economies seem to have receded. But the legal status of a humanoid robot, has a plethora of moral concerns. Not least hacking the soft ware.

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 09:50 PM
link   
a reply to: anonentity

We are still way off in terms of getting these things as small autonomous machines. The robot you see there does not have a brain, it is packed full of servos and mechanisms to make it move, with the signals coming down that umbilical. It is quite good to be excited and enthusiastic about this technology, but a quick reality check is in order.

For what you say, far more advanced AI is required. A robot searching a database and trying to answer questions in a human-like manner is completely different to a robot who actually understands what you say and can tell the difference between a question and a request that requires action.

Look at all the walking robots out there? they have extremely limited ranges of movement, because these robots and the awesomely cleaver groups that make them, are still learning to walk. Epic stuff... but people have been saying the same as your comment above since the mid 1990s when Honda was developing the P-series... we are about 20 years down the line now and... still a computer cannot understand my voice when i try to use the dictate function on my computer

posted on May, 7 2014 @ 11:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErosA433

I understand what you are saying, but this is only half of the technology. Whether it goes biological or mechanical or both is still up in the air. At the present state of the game we have goats that have been given a spider "silk gene" which when lactating put the silk protein in their milk it is then extracted from their milk as silk. How long before a servo brain is made from say a pig or monkey, which just needs wiring up? Yeast has been modified to eat sugar and excrete diesel fuel. I am picking that this tech. will go with Bio mechanical, this is what will drive the moral concerns.
Say I have a healthy Chimp who is after all said and done about 99% human DNA. I then do a genetic gene job on the ovum, by switching off Chimp characteristics and add some human ones. Then I end up with something like a super model. That can be trained to do what a human can do. Does the new entity have human status? would the IQ be limited, or enhanced. We're not working with human cells ,so no legal problem.As most of the meat we eat is genetically malleable of a higher mammal status. Which could be played around with genetically, to the point where gene splicing could make a dog look human. this isn't some future nightmare its possible now, and probably being done. There are clubs buying the relevant bits and pieces from various bio lab suppliers and splicing jelly fish genes into bacteria so they glow in the dark. I could go on but the "Space Chimps" could hold long and meaningful conversations in American Sign language, splice in a gene to grow a bigger language centre in their brain, and what have you got? Its all to seductive not to do something like this where characteristics can be programmed in.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join