It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a question. Why Arab men wear a dress?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
reply to post by diamondsmith

with aircon being a luxury mostly in either tourist areas and homes of the wealthy..

In hot weather its a way to keep cool - and being blunt you dont end up with itchy balls from sweating too much and the body overheating as happens when wear jeans and other western clothing in hot climates.

the loose fitting traditional style clothing allows air to circulate helping to keep the body cool. very comfortable to wear as well.
Aha, air to circulate..like the girls in the hot summer,now I get the point!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by h_jordan
when you say Arab men which country do you mean? Arabs are those people who speak Arabic, there is no one culture, one way to dress, one way to live... etc in the Arab world, each Arabic country has something in common with the rest but differences too.

what you call dress is what we Arabs call Dishdash, it is preferable in the Gulf states mostly due to the very hot weather there.
The only thing I am asking if it's a question of religion.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by diamondsmith
reply to post by halfoldman

We are living in modern and civilized times,this is the 21 century.

Yet we still find people on a forum saying 'These people in other countries, with other cultures - why don't they wear the same clothes I do? The only reason I can think of is if a god told them to do it, yet I don't believe a god has told them to do it'.

Yeah the mind does boggle.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by morkington

We are living in modern and civilized times,this is the 21 century.

Yet we still find people on a forum saying 'These people in other countries, with other cultures - why don't they wear the same clothes I do? The only reason I can think of is if a god told them to do it, yet I don't believe a god has told them to do it'.

Yeah the mind does boggle.

Thankgod someone else shares my viewpoint.

You'd think a person who came onto an anti-ignorance forum would be a little more insightful.

Saying that, my God demands I wear odd socks though.

link   

ahh nope nothing to do with religion.. people dressed that way long before religion.

link   
reply to post by morkington

Good point of view still I am not convinced!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   

ahh nope nothing to do with religion.. people dressed that way long before religion.

Yes but in Afghanistan where it's very cold in many parts of the country they wear it because of they'r religion.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Yes but in Afghanistan where it's very cold in many parts of the country they wear it because of they'r religion.

Their*

Afghanis aren't Arabs.

Afghanis are also very poor, especially whilst they are being invaded. Clothes cost money.

Besides Afghanis don't wear 'dresses' as you call them. If you claim it's because of their religion, why are you even asking why they wear the clothese they wear? You say you know but then ask...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Babbleman

I have to ask 'cause I have to understand from the real people!!

link   
SHTF and all the clothes are gone?
But you still have a piece of curtain or a bed sheet?
Fear not, you can wear a dhoti.

edit on 8-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Babbleman

I have to ask 'cause I have to understand from the real people!!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

Sorry,your link doesn't work!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Oops, well it does now, goodness but you're fast!

Well I guess the dhoti has elements of both the "dress" and pants, and the first pants were almost certainly an influence from India.

We do have other cultures with leggings before that, but they still left a central area open for a loin cloth.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   

when you say Arab men which country do you mean? Arabs are those people who speak Arabic, there is no one culture, one way to dress, one way to live... etc in the Arab world, each Arabic country has something in common with the rest but differences too.

what you call dress is what we Arabs call Dishdash, it is preferable in the Gulf states mostly due to the very hot weather there.

no it is not

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

no it is not
Proof it!I

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

You're a strange one Mr Smith.

A little sheltered too methinks!

(In my worst Scottish accent)

What about the Scottish and their kilts, lad?

What says you about that?
Scottish kilt it's for festal occasions!

Today it is but historically it was an all in one garment used for sleeping as well as wearing. NB the full kilt not the short thing folks wear to weddings.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

That change the things!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

I think you should ask God why he told you to wear trousers......same difference really! Why do women wear dresses? Surely it makes far more sense from a health perspective to have mean wear dresses and women wear trousers. Testicles need to be cooler than the body for fertility (hence testicles!) so why do we warm them up by enclosing them in trousers, stupid really! Likewise women have monthlies and it makes far more sense to hold in place protective padding or whatever with trousers.

I sense some bigotry in the question.......

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by malcr

It's no bigotry in trying to understand the world and the customs of other people.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
A lot of guys in SE Asia wear sarongs,which are sort of like a wrap around "skirt."
Its a cultural thing,which the climate has a lot to do with.

Didn't really take to it myself when I was in that part of the world,not because I thought they looked silly-more because of the damned mosquitoes.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join