It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Islam - Day of Ashura being commemorated with adults and children whipping their backs with chains,

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
There are good and bad people in every religion, I cannot argue with that. And all people in all cultures eventually seeks happiness for themselves and their own cultures and groups they identify with, in one way or another. Not going to argue with that as well. but there are some cultural habits which I simply cannot overlook...

I know that that Islam do have the religious gathering every year in Mecca and as far as I know it is very peaceful, but there are some traditions which to the empirical human being can appear really disturbing.

In the video below, the Day of Ashura, which marks the Mourning of Muharram is being commemorated where Shiites Muslims (adults and children alike) are "mourning for the martyrdom of Husayn ibn Ali, the grandson of Muhammad" (Wiki) by whipping their backs with chains, cut flesh with knives and swords. This day is being commemorated by millions of Shiites every year in multiple Muslim countries, and all in the same way.

I'm not here to condemn any actions, I have absolutely no real idea of the real purpose of their actions, but I am extremely disturbed that a religion, as peaceful as it may be, will induce adults and children to take part in such ritual (please do not watch it if you consider yourself having a light heart).

Link

Does such rituals really aims for peace? I'm not talking only about Israel-Muslims situation, but peace within a culture itself? Can we assume that this ritual is not a behavioral exemption but can suggest some sort of mentality or a way of cultural/religious thinking which disturbs the prosperity of a culture? Or interrupt the billions of people who got sick and tired of wars and conflicts?

Your opinions please... And a good day to you all.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Its their choice to celebrate religion how they choose. Nobody is forcing them. There's plenty of religions that have similar rituals. I suppose its a form of blood/pain sacrifice to remember the founder of their religious sect. Not my cup of tea...but... carry on!
edit on 6-12-2011 by Ryanssuperman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
You do realize there are very similar rituals conducted all over the world by Christians, right? Flaying themselves. Wearing crowns of thorns. Carrying crosses. I even saw footage of a ritual somewhere where men are nailed to crosses. So, don't think the crazy is the sole province of Islam.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jtap66

Sorry but I have never seen such rituals before, it is the first time that I see anything like that and I got to admit that it was quite a shock for me... I just cannot understand this kind of behavior, it doesn't make any sense. We need to change all of our education, bottom-top. From the heart and to the brain.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye
reply to post by jtap66

Sorry but I have never seen such rituals before, it is the first time that I see anything like that and I got to admit that it was quite a shock for me... I just cannot understand this kind of behavior, it doesn't make any sense. We need to change all of our education, bottom-top. From the heart and to the brain.

The Mayan's used to cut the heart out of a victim while they were still alive, on a daily basis, when the sun came up to sacrifice to their gods. It may be odd to see such a thing nowadays, but, I assure you, there are stranger acts happening in the name of religion these days. Google is your friend!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
this is not very different from christianity, believe it or not. if you position yourself outside of cultural conditioning you would see this. every major religion on earth today is a salvationist religion.

meaning followers of this dogma believe that everyone is born with original sin and must thus be saved from an outside force ( i.e. jesus - "our savior" / insert-any-one-of-the-prophets-or-"sons-of-god"-who-are-yet-to-return-and-"save"-humanity.)

even buddhism takes a part in this with their dogma that "everyone" must "suffer" in life.

this gives the term Antichrist a whole new light. an antichrist is they who reject the idea that we need a savior, that we need to be saved by the hands of a third party, that reject the idea that we cannot take responsibility to save ourselves.

this is also the source of the ultimately dangerous myth of the "end of the world" and "the second coming". that myth has our culture surrounded by fear and anticipation for the return of our prophet/god named whosoever...

Read "The Story of B" by Daniel Quinn
edit on 12/6/11 by metalshredmetal because: sp

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shuye
reply to post by jtap66

Its nothing new, for example some Christians do crucify themselves to be more like Jesus, or something.

On the other hand, children should not take part in such rituals, IMHO.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Religion is a kind of Collective Madness 'as displayed so well by the lunatics in the video'. personally i could care less what they do to themselves if that's what they want. It's when they turn the craziness towards people who do not share their beliefs that you need to look out

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuye

It's a good job that they are not carrying those dangerous weapons in the US or UK, they would be arrested, i bet there is a law to stop them hurting themselves also!. Seriously any religion or god that expects it's people to behave like this, can not be good for you.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

Its nothing new, for example some Christians do crucify themselves to be more like Jesus, or something.

Link please. Islam is not a religion, it is a cult and a very violent one at that. Please show me where your Christian Baptists or Methodist or Non-denominational group practices the violence we see in the OP's video..

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Don't Catholics submerge a baby under water to baptize it?

In my opinion the Catholic practice is way worse.

I was baptized by the way, thankfully I can't remember it. It might be similar to water boarding

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

Here you go...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

EDIT: Thanks for the link Atzil321.

I don't care about the past (related to the debate), I know that in the past Christianity was no less violent than today's religions, but it seems that we evolved from most of that madness (at least to some extent). Our religion is now money and it is deadlier than all religions combined. I think we need to finally grow up from all that #. Seriously.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The families of these martyrs must feel so proud.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

Okay, one lone individual nutcase, compared to hundreds of Islam nutcases. In the video, I assume that most Muslims around where this video was shot, accepts and practices this violence. Show me a group of Christians, like in the Islam video, who are practicing such violence in groups.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

ALL RELIGIONS ARE CULTS!

Sorry I find it amusing to watch some of you try and portray your religion to be better than any other religion

You have all been divided and conquered

Your religious beliefs are the main threat to this earth.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: more grammar fail lol

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by kennylee

Lots of catholics still practice self Flagellation. They just do it behind closed doors so as not to be arrested. Even the pope was going at it.

Sister Sobodka said: "Several times he (Pope John Paul) would put himself through bodily penance. "We would hear it – we were in the next room at Castel Gandolfo. You could hear the sound of the blows when he flagellate himself. He did it when he was still capable of moving on his own."
Source:news.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 6-12-2011 by Atzil321 because: Link was broke

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

It is not about religious beliefs, it is about religious insanity. I am at your side my friend, I do not support any religion, as i'm sure most people here don't.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Shuye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

I always thought of Catholics as being a cult also, so it is the cults of Islam and the Catholic church that you can find most of the senseless violence...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Voluntary crucifiction among Christians:

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join