It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From NYT: Biggest Black Holes Yet

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
www.nytimes.com...

One of these newly surveyed monsters, which weighs as much as 21 billion Suns, is in an egg-shaped swirl of stars known as NGC 4889, the brightest galaxy in a sprawling cloud of thousands of galaxies about 336 million light-years away in the Coma constellation.

It seems like every time you turn around, a larger black hole has been discovered. Has there ever been any therories on how big a black hole could get

Mods please move this to the proper forum.
edit on 6-12-2011 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by isyeye
www.nytimes.com...

One of these newly surveyed monsters, which weighs as much as 21 billion Suns, is in an egg-shaped swirl of stars known as NGC 4889, the brightest galaxy in a sprawling cloud of thousands of galaxies about 336 million light-years away in the Coma constellation.

It seems like every time you turn around, a larger black hole has been discovered. Has there ever been any therories on how big a black hole could get

Considering black holes are theory, I could theorize that their size isn't finite. I assume the more mass they consume the larger they become, but, again, theory.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

I thought black holes were pretty much proven? Their physics and mechanics maybe be theoretical, but the idea they exist i believe is a fact.

Theyve seen the one in e middle of our galaxy. Of course they havent seen it directly, they have seen stars of enormous size whipping around an unknown objects at tremendous speeds. What else would it be besides a blackhole?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
The reason I'm asking about how large a black hole can become is because I'm wondering if a "critical mass" point has been proposed where the mass or densisty has become so great some type of chain reaction occurs.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   

The reason I'm asking about how large a black hole can become is because I'm wondering if a "critical mass" point has been proposed where the mass or densisty has become so great some type of chain reaction occurs.

Doesnt a black hole have the same mass as the star that formed it, that it doesnt change? I believe that if a black hole had infinite mass, you'd be in a black hole right now since it would have infinite gravity.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by merka

Wouldn't the material falling into the black hole cause it to accumulate more mass, or is ALL of the material ejected from the black hole?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

www.nytimes.com...

My guess.... is that a black hole can get as big as the object before the Big Bang.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by VonDoomen
reply to post by Ryanssuperman

What else would it be besides a blackhole?

As we havent observed it directly it could be absolutely anything. The fact that black hole theory has to be amended almost every time a new piece of data is collected makes it more probable (IMO) that a black hole is in fact not at the centre of our galaxy.

top topics

join