It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man makes up to $300/day panning for gold/rare gems simply by walking streets of New York City.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Bonkeman

I love metal detecting too, but can't bring myself to sell my 'treasures'.

On topic, you couldn't pay me enough to go to a city and do that.
Sorry, but cities smell bad and people are rude. Just not in my genes I guess.

to reiterate others, this guy made a big mistake posting a video. duh.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Actually it might work better in New Orleans with a metal detector. Just think how many things were washed away in Katrina.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I really like the subject of the OP saying:

"You can't be crazy to do this, You're crazy if you don't do this."

Very profound, and hilarious, because it brings to mind some seriously crazy person actually trying to mine the streets, or some drunk dropping all the little gold flecks in his shaking hands.

This man seems strange himself. Of course this strangeness could be a sign of virtue or genius, rather than a bit of craziness. Either way, great OP!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Back when I was in Junior High School, one day me and a friend had nothing to do in the summer. So we walked around town and looked for change on the ground. We found a few dollars. I'd say it wasn't worth the time, but it was just something to do.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
this story is no.1 in my collection "story of the year"

here comes no.2 - making 13.000€ in 30 days by collecting bottles @ music festivals =)

I paid € 100 entrance and got out of it with a deposit of 1500 euros

translated source

source: www.express.de...

edit on 4-12-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

edit on 4-12-2011 by Hessdalen because: mindcontrol

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Somewhat related to this is the experiment done to see if this could be recreated... in the streets of london.

Following the "urban miner" who makes a living finding precious metals on the sidewalks of New York's "diamond district", the Telegraph went to see if the streets of London might also be paved with gold.

Streets of London really are paved with gold

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dannotz
reply to post by grindhouzer

Holy cow!

I'm finding my nearest jewelry shop and doing this!

What an innovative idea to make some cash!

I'm shocked by the amount of money this guy can make on just 1 day!

Very entertaining post!

$300 doing what's he's doing or $300 a day?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

True, but you could always look at him as providing a recovery service, and whatever he makes by finding and recycling the stuff he finds, is wages for his service?

Not free if he's working for it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
been prospecting for ever sluicing, dredging, panning, hard rock and placer and there is no way in be-jesus i am going to tell ya where that would be unwise but the truth about gold and any precious metal is "it is where you find it" but if you want to now a secret if you are standing on the ground where there has been glaciers, volcanoes, earthquakes or any way the ground has come up from the deep there is gold there it may be hard to find but it is there "they" say that only 5% of gold on earth has been dug up so 95% is still there for you just have to find it.
i will give this up for you when i am out hiking around where alot of other people have been i seem to find alot of old broken cell phones cha-ching but that is a hole other process of aqua regia that may be a strange word but it means royal water because it is a way to extract precious metal. sorry got a little of topic i just want say way to go Yogi

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by MysticPearl

That's exacty what's going to happen.

But firs they'll start harassing these people for the taxes they owe.

Then they'll demand they have a license to practice this trade.

Then, if there's anybody left doing it, it will be made illegal.

And people look to the government to create jobs? lol.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

You forgot one step: Finally they'll create a bureaucracy called the Gold Recovery Agency or something, and spend ten times what it's worth to recover it.

edit on 4-12-2011 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by grindhouzer

Very cool, happy and educational post.

Headed to 47th street next week with my vacuum if I can get past the nude scanner and TSA groper.

Smart guy!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Can you just tell me your secrets. No one else is looking and I wont tell nobody.

edit on 4-12-2011 by gladtobehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
The dumbest thing this guy has ever done was telling people what he was doing.

I agree 100%. I cannot believe he spilled his guts like that.

In Yorkshire they say, "Where there is muck, there is brass". Some the richest and most untalented people there are funeral home directors and they make lodsa money.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Good idea but I really wouldn't have the patience.. I recon the side of highways are littered with
Treasures, people with an arm out the window while they drive lose a watch or ring, couples
Fighting and the woman throws the ring out the car. Etc etc.. Think about it ...

Peace

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
This is pretty cool, but what they fail to mention is how much he makes a year doing this... or even a week for that matter. There's only so many jewelry stores - 300 bucks doesn't get you very far
He'd probably be better off just "pan-handling", as in sitting on the street asking people for change.

A friend of mine told me stories of how he used to wear dirty clothes asking people for change in downtown Atlanta, and would easily make a few hundred bucks a day. He's also ex-military intel, and was over in Iraq for a while, so I'm not exactly sure why he would make a story like that up - but hey, what do I know?
edit on 4-12-2011 by Time2Think because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Nice,,

I once saw an episode of " Gold Fever" show with Tom Masey .
They were in L.A. and an old guy in the down town city was cleaning out cracks, drain areas and panning out LOTS of gold from it .

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Penn and Teller, 100% factual? Contridiction much?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Bonkeman

Ok...I guess I'm stupid...but what is "clad"?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
"Clad" is what metal detectorists refer to for any coin that is dated post 1964. That is the year they started reducing the amount of silver in the coins. Even since 1990 the new pennies in the USA are made with zinc instead of pure copper. I guess you could say that they even want the "clad" coins to be fiat money!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED
I have done something just like that but not in any city.

I live in Calif the golden state and have worked in the gold mining business for 45 years.

Many gold mine had mills to process there ore and if you know how the foundation of these old gold mills can have more gold then this guy will ever find on the streets of NY.

And in most cases this gold is missed by the guys with metal detectors because of all the re-bar used in these old foundations blocking the signals.

Another problem is because mercury was used in many mine mills the gold no longer looks like gold it will now be a silver color
I will not give away all my tricks in finding all this gold at old mines because i want the best to still be there for me.
And there are some real tricks using water and other things to find where the gold moves around a building foundation.

I one time recovered over 22 ounces of gold from a old mill building and the old mill equipment in two days.

The only problem was gold was only $180 a ounce back then.
edit on 4-12-2011 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

Old mills are amazing places to find gold. Both for a single person like yourself or for an actual mining business. Old mills used old techniques and were adversely effected by many things such as harsh weather conditions and no electricity. The mine that comes to my mind first is one up in British Columbia called engineer mine. I think it was in the early 1900's that it put out crazy amounts of gold but they had to stop. Some little company recently went and grabbed it recently, i dont remember their name but i want to stay the abbreviation was BCG. Dont quote me though, i read to much random stuff. If I had the time/resources i think hunting for Gold like you do would be the most fun thing ever!

When i was a kid my best friend and I lived by a wooded area adjacent to a golf course. We would hunt for golf balls all day in the woods and then sell them back to golfers. Probably the most fun job that I will ever have lol. This story brought back many childhood memories

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join