It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

living with the amish

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   
it am watching a chanel 4 [ UK ] documentary

the synopsis is that UK citizens spend time in an amish cominity - living thier lifestyle

and to put it bluntly - what ?

they have a furniture business using pneumatic tools and cordless electric drills

is this really amish culture ?????????????????

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignorant_ape
it am watching a chanel 4 [ UK ] documentary

the synopsis is that UK citizens spend time in an amish cominity - living thier lifestyle

and to put it bluntly - what ?

they have a furniture business using pneumatic tools and cordless electric drills

is this really amish culture ?????????????????

Is it on now? i loved the last series. Il catch it on channel 4 plus one. thanks for the heads up. Il comment on it when ive watched it.

edit on 1-12-2011 by thedoctorswife because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
The Amish have made some concessions to the modern world. It's too damn sexy for them to ignore anymore

edit on 1-12-2011 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Amish or Mennonites?

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I saw one last week....the amish dude was a real nice guy.
Cheers for the heads up, il watch the new one tomos

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

i see them in walmart all the time...shopping carts full of all kinds of stuff...they all load into big minivans (i've even seen them put in babies without carseats)...

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by satron

I used to live in Amish country. They had a school just a half mile down the road from us. Every morning I'd watch the kids walk to school... and the boys were always barefoot until late October or until the snow started flying. Maybe they should think about modernizing their shoemaking and boot repair trade as well.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

The D.H.S have declared the Amish, terrorists,better get out before they CLUSTER bomb you.

SARCASM

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I dont really care that theyve made concessions to the modern world. In a world of hypocrisy, they seem like very decent people. I like them, not sure if id become one though. I respect their views on young peoples choices. They allow teenagers to go and live in the outside world for a while, if they like it, they stay, if not, they come back to the flock. I know its not a religion, and this is just a comparison, but it annoys me when religions bring up children brainwashed with no knowledge of anything else.

posted on Dec, 1 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

Good Question. The Amish men are very nice and humble. Mennonite are a lot more arrogant.

reply to post by Neopan100

It is typically the Mennonites that drive the vans, shop at Walmart, and make the occasional trip for fast food. The ones I have known are not the nice, humble, Amish type. They are overbearing, condescending, and their women are 100% subservient. When I was a teen working at McDonald's, they would come in about once per month. I loved to flirt with the girls, but they would never look me in the eye, they always kept their eyes toward the ground, and the young men were always more than willing to fight.

Amish people are very lovable. They still drive the little horse-drawn buggies, and they are completely non-confrontational and accepting of just about anything.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
hi all

first - i honestly dont know if they were amish or mennonite though the title was clearly - living with amish not " living tith mennonites

the mechanised bussiness was the only thing i daw that actually surprised me - as while chanel surfing - i returned to the same prog - and they had an obligitory ` barn raising ` scene - and as far as i could see no power tools or modern materials

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Mennonite's are all right ... my family up in Northern Wisconsin lives in a heavily Mennonite area ... a bit strange but harmless and good natured. I thought they were Amish at first when I went with my uncle to drop off some farm equipment they had purchased from him. We were chewing the fat and I saw the guys workshop. All his equipment (table saws, band saws, sanders, shapers, etcetera) were driven by an overhead rotating shaft that was connected to all the various workstations by a PTO belt. The main shaft was driven by a diesel. I looked at it and said I though Amish weren’t allowed power tools and he laughed and explained the difference between Amish and his Mennonite community.
edit on 2-12-2011 by SirMike because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
The outside world has forced itself upon the Amish through taxation and regulation.

If they never made any allowances they'd starve out and die.

It's hard to live a self sustaining lifestyle without any profiting when the government is standing at the gate guns in hand to collect property taxes. so now they have to earn an income to pay up. That income subjects them to more taxes.

Trying desperately to maintain their traditions and pacify the bloodlust of Uncle Sam we get half-assed Amish furniture and puppy mills.

Reduced to slavery one leg chained by their beliefs and the other by their government.
edit on 2-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

You're right. They are alright, they just aren't what one would expect. Especially if they think they are dealing with the Amish.

The way the Mennonite women acted was always a concern for me. I don't know much about their community, but their women seemed very cowed, or even afraid. Of course, I was an arrogant prick at the time too, so I'm sure I was antagonizing the situation.

The Amish back home sell their furniture, and it is great stuff! You can also pay them to come build a barn, or even frame a home for you. They are great folks, and easy to deal with. As far as I know, they don't use electricity at all, but things could have changed since I moved away. They did have a couple of telephones back then. Not in the homes, but for community use.

posted on Dec, 2 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

You are dead nutz on about the furniture and its unbelievably cheap if you buy it directly from them instead of going retail. I bought a solid maple sofa back table from my uncle’s neighbors and it was about 1/3rd what I would have paid in the store, and it was even custom! I told him what I wanted and some rough dimension and he cranked it out for me.

new topics

top topics

join