It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Curse of the Bambino (broken)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
To those of you who are familar to baseball you might believe this is the biggest curse in the MLB.

Here's how it goes:

The Red Sox (baseball team) had the best player in the league, Babe Ruth. However he was traded to the Yankees ( Red Sox rival)

After the Red Sox traded Babe Ruth or Bambino,

The Red Sox did not win a World Series (Championship) for many, many years. Not since 1918. And since then there has been some real heartbreak losses, most notable was Aaron Boone's walk-off home-run in the 11th inning or the ball going through Billy Bukner's legs.

Sorry I had to explain but there seems to be a lot of British people on the board. I don't know if Baseball is popular out there.

To those who do know I have a few questions:

1. Do you think the Curse is real?
2. If it is what do you think will break it?
3. Did they find the piano in the lake yet? (Goes along with the curse)

And...

Do you think the Red Sox will break the curse this October? (Win World Series)

If not who will?

BTW-Don't say the DiamondBacks

[edit on 29-10-2004 by MysticalUnicorn]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
1.) I think the curse is real. Boston has had many great teams over the years, all of which were capable of winning the World Series. Something is wrong.
2.) I always thought Nomar would break it, but he is in Chicago now (also cursed). I think luck will break the curse.
3.) No.

I think Boston has an awesome chance of winning. If the Yankees continue to struggle and Boston makes it's way to first, I wouldn't be surprised if they won the whole thing.

If Boston doesn't win, I'm guessing Chicago or St. Louis.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Who cares about the Red Sox or the Cubs???

The White Sox are cursed too!!! Magglio & Frank are out for the season...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I'm from the USA and haven't heard of any baseball curse (of course, I don't follow the sport, either...). I followed along fairly well until the PIANO was mentioned. Can you clarify that?

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
This is the biggest curse in baseball. Even you don't follow sports. Nevertheless here are some links that you should read about the piano:

members.cox.net...

and ESPN-The #1 sports channel:
espn.go.com...

and cnnsi:

sportsillustrated.cnn.com...
(same artical) different website

read it- enjoy!

This the year.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Thank you for the links. That article was interesting. I find it amazing that people believe that resurrecting a piano will break a "curse" on the baseball team.

Edit to add: I can understand how a 15 foot "slope" would help someone push a piano, somewhat, but how on earth would a lone person throw a piano into a body of water by himself? Doesn't seem possible...

[edit on 9-6-2004 by andhow]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Wasn't the Babe sold not traded?

Anyway, it would seem the curse is real. The red Sox were the best team in base ball up untill they unloaded the sultan of swat, in short they were the Yankees of yesteryear. Also, I believe he was sold so that the Red Sox owner (forget his name) could pay for something for his wife.

To those who do know I have a few questions:

1. Do you think the Curse is real?
2. If it is what do you think will break it?
3. Did they find the piano in the lake yet? (Goes along with the curse)

And...

Do you think the Red Sox will break the curse this October? (Win World Series)

1) Yes, in some way or another
2) A really really REALLY good team along with a really really REALLY bad Yankees team
3) I don't believe so

Nope - they are cursed

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Yes he was sold, but I do not know if it was because it was for the owner's wife. I use "trade" in the sense that Boston traded him off for cash.

I think this is the year for the Red Sox too. Wouldn't that be something?

EDIT: I think they could use some type of cart. I don't know... Perhaps there is no piano. Perhaps finding a piano in a pond is as much chance as the Red Sox winning the world series.

EDIT:Grammar

[edit on 6-9-2004 by MysticalUnicorn]

[edit on 6-9-2004 by MysticalUnicorn]

posted on Sep, 7 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Interesting stuff! The evidence does point to the curse against the Boston Red Sox of MLB being real... wow!

This makes me think about the fates of teams in other sports. Does anyone think that the Arizona Cardinals in the NFL are cursed? It sure does seem that way...

posted on Oct, 2 2004 @ 12:35 AM
link   
THE ARIZONA CARDINALS??? I don't think they are cursed, I just think they need to have a better team. Emmet Smith dosn'thurt either.

Nevertheless I agree that the Cardinals are a bad team.

BTW-Red Sox will try to break the curse this year, make sure to watch em'.

Go Red Sox.

The curse of Bambino(1918-2004)

October-Boston will win the World Series.

-Or-

Is it just bling faith and they are putting another good entertaining hopeful show ending in dissapointment.

I don't know, but I believe this the year.

posted on Oct, 5 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
The curse will live on!!! Boston won't win NADA!!!

I'd put my money on a NL team again to win the world series.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Ok this is freaky. Yankees win first 3 games appear to dominate the series, but then the Red Sox have now won 3 games straight!!
Now if the Yankees defeat the Red Sox tonight in game 7 the curse will live on if I am correct. I am going to watch the game tonight hopefully and witness the curse with my own eyes.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Ok people I believe in the curse of the bambino my husband is a die hard yankee fan he was born in NJ but he grow up in NY, we watch the series every year, this year I am worry, the red socks seems to be like a virus that doesn�t want To go away.

Last night it was like a soup opera, when the police were call because the umpires were trouble about their safety, my husband felt outraged he thinks that it was giving a bad reputation to the Yankees and NY.

I got a feeling that the red socks are going to win, but please do not tell that to my hubby, he said the Yankees always come back from the end and they will win.

Well let see what happens tonight.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Red Sox are going to the world series, only to lose against the Cardinals or Astros. An NL team is going to win it this year...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:38 PM
link   
Doesnt matter anyway, Sox lose in 7. Thats how the curse works.

There is nothing cruel and twisted in losing a series because you are completely dominated. That would be a standard thing, drop it in a few games because the other team out played you. However in Boston, it has to be something small, a cruel twist of fate that you can stew on for years and years to follow. This kind of thing can only happen in a game 7. The Bambino already used up the homer at the end of extra innings in game 7 last year. So this comeback is all part of ratcheting up the cruelity, so that this letdown can be that much greater then last year. Such is the essence of the Curse of the Bambino.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
What about the curse of the Black Sox??? It's frustrating for me!!!

Frank Thomas And Magglio Ordonez injured and their season went down the drain.

Hopefully next year again...

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The curse is alive and well...and it will remain intact...did you red sox fans forget that you guys demolished babe's old house just recently?...He isn't happy. Just remember the ghosts come out in the 7th at yankee stadium.

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
Wasn't the Babe sold not traded?

. Also, I believe he was sold so that the Red Sox owner (forget his name) could pay for something for his wife.

Red Sox owner and Broadway producer Harry Frazee sold Ruth to the New York Yankees for $125,000 in cash and a $300,000 loan. Frazee uses the money to open the show, "No, No, Nannette."

I think I remember something about his girlfriend being in the play perhaps it ws his wife. So it could have been his motive but Im not sure on that aspect of it.

[edit on 20-10-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
I am neither a Red Sox or Yankees fan, rather I love the Indians. But I would like to say that I hope the curse is going to be broke tonight. As of now it is the second inning. In the first inning there was a 2 run home run by David Oriz, who has gone nuts in this series with 3 crucial home runs. In the second inning the starting pitcher loaded the bases, and was removed. The relief pitcher came in, warmed up, and then.......his first pitch of the game was to Jonny Damon, and...GRAND SLAM.

Sox are up at the end of the 2nd inning 6-0. It looks like the curse may end tonight. GO SOX

Fry

posted on Oct, 20 2004 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Why in American Sports do you refer to the championships as World Series etc?

Thats like saying the Barclaycard Premiership is the World Championship in Football (or soccer for our colonial friends
), very egocentric and puzzling....

top topics

<<   2 >>

join