It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People are broke but willing to risk life and limb for big screen TV's?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I have been under the impression that the majority of people are broke. You know...No money, no house, no savings, no hope.

So where is all the money coming from that people can line up for hours, pitch tents and camp out for big screen TV's? Assault each other, risk injury, arrest...

And I know that many will say that because everyone is broke is the reason people must put themselves through this dehumanizing and embarrassing process to save some pennies and get that TV but my question is: "Why a TV?

Is this the top priority of people struggling to make ends meet? Feed their kids? Pay bills? Why is it so important to get that big screen? Maybe to be able to focus on something other than reality in a high def environment?

Do we still have the need to keep up with the Jones family or is it that we have fooled ourselves into thinking that things are so bad that we need to reward ourselves with just a little something? But again, why the TV?

Why not a stockpile of canned goods, bottled water, MRE's, tools, weapons etc? The TV sure isn't going to help if you spend that last dollar and tomorrow the stations go down. No sitcoms and no food either. Just seeing the mobs lining up to throw money at billionaires for an object that probably costs $50 to make should be enough to raise flags.

Anyway, just wondering why it's the TV that people seem to NEED in hard times. Programming? Self Reward?

Thoughts?

Peace

edit on 26-11-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Simply put people are greedy. We come from all kinds of different financial backgrounds but we are all greedy.

I like to think that most are not greedy enough to kill over a good deal... But every year, some one gets hurt, killed, shot... things like that and it disturbs me.

I honestly worry anytime a friend or family member says they are going shopping on black friday.... It is so dangerous and...I wish that it would stop.

The news tonight said there was 11 billion dollars earned on black Friday. Is that not absurd?

No wonder the corporations allow this stuff to happen in there stores. Why do consumers get so greedy that they are willing to hurt their fellow man over a video game console? I don't know... Maybe it is just human nature.

Maybe we are all just crazy. I don't know...But I hate it.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

great thoughts..

it is the difference between the "I want" crowd,,

and the " I Need" crowd..

then there is us,,, the,," I Will Need "

to prepare is Great,, in MY mind..

to watch TV untill late.. is in others..

as to where the money is coming from.::

their not paying bills/house-payments..

working people have their mindset programmed ,, it seems to me

most who work, only WORK for what they want,,, their needs are secondary,,

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

I think you have that last part backwards. Most people work for what they need, what they want (if they can afford it after buying what they need) is an added bonus which many will not get due to the costs of living.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by darrman

I think you have that last part backwards. Most people work for what they need, what they want (if they can afford it after buying what they need) is an added bonus which many will not get due to the costs of living.

nope,, i dont think its backwards.. YOUR thinking is Rational.. and Correct!!

but we're talking about the mass populace, out-there..

my neighbor will buy that Bigscreen TV and not pay his phone bills..
my sister will CHARGE for thet Shiny new purse [[$200.00]] and need to borrow Gas money..

it is Contagious ....and Real

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

the people lining up there are obviously not broke, that does not mean that there are no people out there that are not broke, there are probably lots of broke people who cannot even afford a reduced coat.

obviously the people lining up at these places are not broke yet and value consumer goods over another persons well being. maybe some are stuggling and are using what they did manage to save on reduced goods as it is the only time they could ever hope to buy some of these things.

i agree it all sucks and the greed observed at these things makes me sick.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
The idiot box is very sexy these days.
And multi-functional now.
The savings were more than just pennies.
It's the one luxury that is still a must-have, for many people.
Some people probably saved up, knowing the prices would be very low.
Not all of those people are broke, just thrifty, and a little crazy to brave those crowds.
From the videos I've seen of the Friday rush..No one looked malnourished...
With the right TV you can cancel Cable, or Satellite bills,
I'm sure there are other justifications...

That's about all I can think of...At least people are stimulating the economy..Even at bargain bin increments.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I have a bigger tv. but only cause I am half blind, LOL I could no longer read the guide so got a bigger one in my 40's. TV not much a priority for me, but I do like my old movies.

To save 200 and stand in line for three days? Really? You get paid more than that an hour to work that what you are saving standing in line. My neighbors who do this every year say they do it for the adrenaline rush.
To each their own I guess!! Since when is Christmas about , what gifts can I get myself.

Was not that long ago, kids just got stockings, and you had lots of fruit and a duck for dinner. Now its about what people can get themselves for Christmas, buying tons of gifts for tons of people who do not need anything.
Uggg,....I am not in the Occupy movement, but if I was , I would say Occupy Christmas, LOL

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

yeah there are lots of those people also, the ones who are addicted to shopping and get a rush out of getting bargins and making savings.

i hate hearing people talking about what they bought and what they saved, the whole time i am wondering where their savings are, when they are buying usless crap they do not need and originally would not of bought, but did, just because it was reduced by £20. if it cost £100 pounds and was reduced by £20 i would see it as an £80 loss.
edit on 26-11-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Simply put people are greedy. We come from all kinds of different financial backgrounds but we are all greedy.

I like to think that most are not greedy enough to kill over a good deal... But every year, some one gets hurt, killed, shot... things like that and it disturbs me.

No wonder the corporations allow this stuff to happen in there stores. Why do consumers get so greedy that they are willing to hurt their fellow man over a video game console? I don't know... Maybe it is just human nature.

Maybe we are all just crazy. I don't know...But I hate it.

Not everyone is greedy.If that was the case there would be lines that stretched for miles..myself personally I won't go out shopping early on black friday.It's not worth the hassle.And corporations aren't to blame.It's the morons who are willing to do what you just said..hurt others.I think it's mostly some people just get caught up in the hype of it..kind of the whole sheep mentalilty thing.There's plenty of deals to be had after black friday.
edit on 26-11-2011 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by darrman

You are right of course but while the effect may be real, money is not.
Its just a piece of security checked paper giving you access to things you wouldn't have had without it, based on a system of corruption, manipulation and informational diversion. Well, wage-slavery too.

Kill the Demon and its power dies. If I love you and want to see you prosper, and your feelings are more or less reciprocal, why do we need a piece of paper in order to help one another?
I know why. Because another person said we must and made a law for it.

In other words, the donkey/carrot trick.

"Here little donkey, thats it, keep walking/working. You're almost at the carrot..."

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I just keep wondering as I watch the Black Friday vids, is this what we have become? Slaves to whatever TPTB have programmed us to be?

It seems that we are measuring our success and/or happiness by the size of our screens. If our screen is smaller than our neighbor's screen, we feel inadequate.

What has happened to our sense of self worth and how did it get replaced by a sense of material worth at the risk of spending our last dollar?

TV Envy?

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
what's not to understand ?

TV goes on sale, you can save $400, and you can't afford full price

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Three words.

50 percent off.

I do not think it is so much a case of "keeping up with the Jones's" anymore. In our society today, the success of an individual very literally defined by what that person owns.

No car? Loser

Don't own your own home? Loser

It no longer matters if you have a job anymore... it is about how much it pays. If you do not have a good paying job, your a loser. This is the world we have made for ourselves. What do you think if you walk into someone's home and see that they do not have a digital recorder, but instead they have a VCR? Well obviously you cant afford TIVO and therefor your not only a loser, your an outdated loser.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

your right, i know people who think they are their cars and we all know somebody who thinks they are their mobile phone surely? they actually try to impress people with their latests gadets they have for it. as a result a persons standing in society is based on what they have consumed. it's nothing new it has just got worse, no kid wanted to be the kid in school who had cheap shoes when i was a kid.

yes sadly this is what people have become. not all people. just alot.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
what's not to understand ?

TV goes on sale, you can save $400, and you can't afford full price

What's not to understand?

How about why people will line up in the cold and wet, camp out and risk injury in mob mentality to get a big screen TV.

That's what I don't understand...it's a %!#&*% TV! That's it.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Where do all these electronics come from anyway? China

Greed.

Seems to me they want to sell as much electronics as possible and empty our pockets.

what will happen when TSHTF and they knock us out with EMP's...

We are screwed.

Just my 2 cents.. I am watching a disaster movie marathon on SciFy tonight

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by lifeform11
reply to post by jude11

your right, i know people who think they are their cars and we all know somebody who thinks they are their mobile phone surely? they actually try to impress people with their latests gadets they have for it. as a result a persons standing in society is based on what they have consumed. it's nothing new it has just got worse, no kid wanted to be the kid in school who had cheap shoes when i was a kid.

yes sadly this is what people have become. not all people. just alot.

I was the kid with the cheap shoes and bell bottoms when they went out of style. Did I care? No. I liked Bell bottoms.

posted on Nov, 26 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I don't understand either, especially when one could wait until the following Monday (Cyber Monday, anyone?) and purchase from one's own home!

Honestly, I've no problem with anyone waiting until such a deal to purchase a high ticket item, seems the smart plan, no? Why pay full price? Now that is just stupid. Lol

posted on Nov, 27 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I just keep wondering as I watch the Black Friday vids, is this what we have become? Slaves to whatever TPTB have programmed us to be?

It seems that we are measuring our success and/or happiness by the size of our screens. If our screen is smaller than our neighbor's screen, we feel inadequate.

What has happened to our sense of self worth and how did it get replaced by a sense of material worth at the risk of spending our last dollar?

TV Envy?

I hear you. It's just become sickening, although I've never done the day after shopping thing anyway. It seems like I must live on a different planet than all those shopper people. I would feel like a sheep if I were caught in that mess, nevermind being played like a fiddle by the marketeers. Guess that's why they can lead the sheep to slaughter, dumb.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join